Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Peat, Portable Greenhouse

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Loc: KY
questions prior to starting an outdoor grow
    #2090996 - 11/11/03 01:32 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

hey fellas,

so my friend read a few posts about this idea of outdoor growing. he just so happens to be going to his home in southern florida for the "winter." well, he has an overcolonized (overlaying probably) cake of koh samui and another of cambodia. he doesn't want to fruit them and decided instead to try an experiment with outdoor grow.

his plan is simply to dig up some dirt and maybe throw in some cheap cow shit and crumble the colonized cakes into the dug-out space. of course, he will put the koh samui in one place and the cambodia elsewhere so they don't have to compete.

his main question is does this really work? will the mycelium slowly establish itself over the winter and then wait until temps rise up in the summer and the heavy rain comes to start the fruiting process? once the mycelium has established itself, will the mycelium continue to fruit forever (each summer, i guess)? or will it only fruit one cycle and then die off? are there any suggestions or perhaps advice that you wish to offer my friend before he does this? a big thanks.

peace.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: questions prior to starting an outdoor grow [Re: TerrapinSunrise]
    #2091383 - 11/11/03 05:10 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

i recomend digging a little trench and lining it with wetted straw, then crumble the cakes on it and cover with straw. then, you can add a thin layer of topsoil or peat moss. be sure to keep it watered during the dry months. it sould fruit for years to come :smile: 

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: questions prior to starting an outdoor grow [Re: automan]
    #2091747 - 11/11/03 10:23 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

In southern florida you should be able to keep your outdoor bed fruiting all year long. If it gets to cold just build a simple plastic sheeting greenhouse over it and keep on trucking.

Good Luck

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: questions prior to starting an outdoor grow [Re: Ekstaza]
    #2092120 - 11/11/03 01:18 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

thanks guys.

couple more question(s):

will it work without the use of manure or straw or peat moss? i guess the reason for me asking is because my friend wasn't planning on spending any money on the project, but if it is necessary or highly beneficial, then i'm sure he would drop a couple bucks. this may be a "stupid" question, but where does one get straw? and peat moss? i don't want to trespass on peoples' farms looking for straw, but i've never seen it at the store - any thoughts?

automan, you say that it should be kept wet during the dry months. well, if no one is there to water the patch, surely the mycelium will survive until someone is able to water it? maybe it just won't fruit, but that isn't a problem since nobody would be there to pick them until the wet summer months anyways. thanks.

ok, thanks again you two.

peace.

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2092673 - 11/11/03 03:31 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

i get straw at the local farmers co-op for $2 a bale. you can get peat moss there too. if you can water it very often, just drench it when you get the chance. or, you can set up a drip feeder.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: questions prior to starting an outdoor grow [Re: automan]
    #2093041 - 11/11/03 05:18 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

you can get a small mini bail of straw from walmart or a national chain craft store, flower arrangement section.  You might pay a lot $1-$5 for 12X12X6 in bail, but you don't have to bother with a big bail if you only have 2 cakes anyway.

Quote:

(overlaying probably) cake

can't be overlay, overlay can only happen to a casing, not a cake :wink:

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: questions prior to starting an outdoor grow [Re: mycofile]
    #2093086 - 11/11/03 05:29 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

mycofile,
yeah i was wondering about that "overlaying" cake... actually i really think the cake has overlayed, even if that isn't possible. if overlay is hard, smooth dead mycelium, then my cake is overlayed. it has been colonized since july.

well, more about this straw stuff. i really don't want to purchase a bail of straw and only use a pinch of it. i'll probably never use it again. is (a bail of) straw absolutely necessary?? what if i picked up a little cowpie from walmart instead?

peace and love.

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
    #2093120 - 11/11/03 05:39 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe your cake is dry?  If the outer layer looks dead you might want to scratch it, but give it time to make sure it won't pin.  How's the humidity?  Mycofile means overlay only applies to casings -- there's nothing to lay over in a cake :wink:

They sell really small bails of straw at Michael's -- maybe look there.  You really need straw to use a cowpie, anyway (you mix the two) but I don't think Walmart sells cowpies, so I guess it's a moot point, anyway :wink:

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #2096249 - 11/12/03 10:00 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TerrapinSunrise said:
thanks guys.

couple more question(s):

will it work without the use of manure or straw or peat moss?

I make my outdoor beds using store bought manure compost and my very own yard clippings. Mow your yard and use the cut grass in your outdoor bed.

Make sure you let the grass dry out good before using it. You want all of the green color to be gone first.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Edited by Ekstaza (11/12/03 10:13 AM)

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: questions prior to starting an outdoor grow [Re: Ekstaza]
    #2096840 - 11/12/03 01:08 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

i really don't want to purchase a bail of straw and only use a pinch of it.

What I was trying to get at is they sell "pinch" sized bails at places like Michaels, sometimes walmart.  The really tiny ones are only a dollar or less depending on season.

If your cake has been colonized since July without refrigeration, you'll be lucky if you get anything.  That's 5 months old, maybe six by the time you start the project.  I've seen cakes that old fruit, but I'd only give it a 50/50 chance to start out with.  :frown:

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Peat, Portable Greenhouse

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation