Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
First Grain attempt tomorrow...some questions
    #2090676 - 11/10/03 10:52 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

OK this is the first time I'm venturing beyond BRF cakes. My Pressure cooker is coming tomorrow, and I'm going to try popcorn. I've got hte popcorn soaking, and I've got my tyvec filters ready to go. My main question...what do I do with the lid? Do I put a big hole in the middle (like 1/4 inch), and then smaller holes around the perimeter to innoculate from? How do I do the innoculation? I'm going to have the Tyvec under the lid as it goes into the PCer and I wasn't planning on opening it after that. So how do I innoculate?

My idea was to make 5 holes as described above, and then punch through the tyvec on the 4 perimeter holes, and immediately after I innoculate in that hole, put a nice think piece of clear plastic tape over the hole. And then leave the big middle hole, w/ the tyvec, for air.

Is it tyvec or tyvek or what?

Anyway let me knwo if this sounds good or if you guys have better ways of doing it, thanks a bunch

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Re: First Grain attempt tomorrow...some questions [Re: jong21]
    #2090698 - 11/10/03 11:01 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

And I have one more somewhat unrelated question. I've got a 73 Qt rubbermaid container for my fruiting chamber, and a Vicks Ultrasonic Humidifier from Walmart.com. Previously I've used perlite, this is my first try with a humidifier. I've got a nice electronic timer that has 14 on and 14 off settings per day, accurate to within a minute. So, how do you guys recommend I set up this timer, considering my humidifier and size of fruiting chamber?

What I was going to try was 2 minutes on, 2 hours off. Suggestions?

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

Anonymous

Re: First Grain attempt tomorrow...some questions [Re: jong21]
    #2090701 - 11/10/03 11:03 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

you only need to make 2 holes. one for air exchange and the other to innoculate the jar.  just make sure you shoot the liquid in the syringe to the sides of the glass. they will travel down and start quickly. then place a piece of tape over the hole you used.

there you go. :smile:

peace

zerohero

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation