Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTheTumor
The Sultan
Loc: Toiletbowl, PA
120? For 3 Hours... what to do?
    #2090672 - 11/10/03 10:51 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Come back today, and my jars are baking at 120?! They could have only been this way for max, 5 Hours, probably less though. I read that spores die at 99?. No exceptions. My plan is just to wait around for a couple of days and see what happens. Good plan? Or have I already failed?

--------------------
Never end a scentence with a preposition!
"INCORRECT: Wheres your warrant at?
CORRECT: Wheres your warrant at mother fucker!?"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshaftinmp
Master ofDisguise

Loc: Dark of the Sun
Re: 120? For 3 Hours... what to do? [Re: TheTumor]
    #2090695 - 11/10/03 11:00 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

all you can do is wait and see what happens, dont give up on them yet. who knows, might still pan out.

Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Re: 120? For 3 Hours... what to do? [Re: shaftinmp]
    #2090702 - 11/10/03 11:03 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

I've had some bad heat experiences similar to that, always fucked up my jars...even when mycelium began to grow, for some reason the brf mixture instantly started to smell bad, not like mold or contamination, but like mildew. I dunno, there was never visible contamination but the 2 times I allowed the jars to get too hot, they started smelling horrible, and unlike any contamination I'd experienced. Anyway, best of luck...

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

OfflineNecron99
Protect youreyes from flyingsugar!

Loc: SATx
    #2091035 - 11/11/03 01:48 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

I've had my heater (which is an electric blanket) go haywire and hit 110 to115 degrees for days and my jars survived, so I would say go ahead and wait awhile to see if it takes off....

--------------------

"Puny earthlings do not yet know the meaning of the word suffering!!"

OfflineThe_LosT_SouL
Experimentor
Re: 120? For 3 Hours... what to do? [Re: Necron99]
    #2091074 - 11/11/03 02:11 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Not to worry tumor!

I am asuming that your jars havn't colonized so this might not work, but it won't hurt to try. Have you ever heard of cold shocking? It's a proceedure used to "shock" mycelium into growing if your substrate chambers stall, or are producing very slowly while heat is maintained.

I recently made up a batch of 12 250ml 50/50 BRF/VERM substrate and colonized with a homemade spore serynge I was sure most likley was contaimenated because my friend bumped over all the caps when I was droping spores.

I lost all but 3 due to the very very annoying green mold tichamida or something like that. I know that's not the word but hopefully someone else who reads this will correct me :smile:

These 3 survivours were sitting in 19 degree(celcious) indoors and I knew that had to be much much warmer if I wanted them to do anything. I put a heating pad under what I call a "heatless incubation chamber" (just an airtight(or close to) rubbermaid container)and left it there. I had the setting on medium, which would have been fine had the pad shut off like it's supposed to. It was on for 72 hours straight and the ambient temperature in another chamber, outside of the heatless incubation chamber hereafter known as HIC was about 35-40 celcious, which works out pretty close to 110f if not 120f. The extreem heat killed the mycelium, and the mycelium started to bluen which is a major sign of death. I let my cakes sit in 20c temperature for about a week and a half. No changes, no contaminents, but no more growth (btw these cakes were colonizing for over 2 months and still not fully colonized. They were not very cooperative)I decided it's either throw them out, birth and case as is or....COLDSHOCK! I thought, maybe if put it in the fridge for 24 hours, then return it to is 20c chamber, it might recover.. To my suprise, 2 -5days after the cold shock, ! to my surpise! ALMOST 100% colonized cakes.

QUOTE:

<<<<I've had some bad heat experiences similar to that, always fucked up my jars...even when mycelium began to grow, for some reason the brf mixture instantly started to smell bad, not like mold or contamination, but like mildew. I dunno, there was never visible contamination but the 2 times I allowed the jars to get too hot, they started smelling horrible, and unlike any contamination I'd experienced. Anyway, best of luck...>>>> 

REPLY:

Jong, the smell your smelling, is burnt mycelium, and burnt substrate. If your still smelling it after it's cooled down, i think they are doomed for ever! But always remember

COLDSHOCKING CAN DO NO HARM TO YOUR MUSHROOMS
IT CAN ONLY HARM YOUR MENTAL OR PHYSICAL HEALTH IF FOR SOME ODD REASON YOU HAVE A CLINICAL DISORDER THAT DISALLOWS YOU TO WAIT 24 HOURS or MORE FOR SOMETHING TO HAPPEN IN WHICH CASE YOU SHOULD BE SENT TO THE LOCAL SANITARIUM AND BE PUMPED FULL OF ALL KINDS OF EXOTIC DRUGS UNTIL EITHER YOUR MIND IS SO STIMULATED FROM DRUGS YOU BECOME NORMAL SO TO SPEAK, OR YOUR BRAIN BECOMES MUSH AND YOU BECOME THE NEW LOCAL MONGO!

(no offence to locol mongo's)

--------------------
The light dimmed, as I further, helplessly staggered down the cold stoned ramp, into the stagnent depths of the Ananaki Catacombs. |The walls are covered in Mushrooms.. Gulp, chomp, glump! mmmmm goood!

OfflineTheTumor
The Sultan
Loc: Toiletbowl, PA
Re: 120? For 3 Hours... what to do? [Re: The_LosT_SouL]
    #2091126 - 11/11/03 02:34 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

a friend once dropped the term "cold shock" a while back, I never pay attention to the shit he says, and figured it was something that he misread on the internet, and responded by running to me to blab about how much of a shroomy genius he is because he knows how to cold shock jars. He does that with everything. ANYHOW! Thanks, i'll definatley try that.

The jars have been colonized, some I have already flipped, 80%-85% others still lingering around 50% and others still back around 10% and 20%. We'll see what happens.

Will cold shocking jars during colonization "jump start" or accelerate the colonization process in a situation differnt than burning the jars?

Thanks for the help

--------------------
Never end a scentence with a preposition!
"INCORRECT: Wheres your warrant at?
CORRECT: Wheres your warrant at mother fucker!?"

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
    #2091262 - 11/11/03 03:36 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

cold shocking is used to induce pinning and it is arguable that cubensis even needs coldshocking.
i fail to see how a coldshock would jumpstart mycelium growth during the colonisation stage.
just keep those jars around 85 and hope for the best,i had a few jars recover from partial thermal death and they fruited ok once the myc took hold again.

here's a pic of a heat effected jar showing the myc recolonising the dead areas.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 120? For 3 Hours... what to do? [Re: Hanky]
    #2091268 - 11/11/03 03:40 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Yeah... myc can sometimes come back from overheating... but the spores might be fried. Re innoculate if you see no growth for three weeks. I'd also, move the bags out of the incubator until you see myc. This will preserve moisture in the bags if you need to re-inoculate.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation