Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineetard
etheonogenesis

Loc: Wisconsin
Sick of failure
    #2090011 - 11/10/03 04:40 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

It seems that afoaf failed again, thanks to cobweb. Is the best idea at this point to mix some bleach and water together, scrub down the walls, and vaccuum like hell? He's so sick of failing. And he's tried so goddamn hard.

--------------------
.oOo. Selling your babies for my bandwidth since 1994 .oOo.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Sick of failure [Re: etard]
    #2090039 - 11/10/03 04:51 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

If you bekieve that your home environment is the cause of your failure then a thorough cleaning could help. However, you also need to reevaluate your sterile proceedures. I've never went super crazy when I clean my house. I just do the normal everyday pick up and wipe down routine to keep things tidy. But when I'm preparing to work on mushroom stuff, the area that I'm working in is super clean, I wear a facemask, anything that causes an air current through the workspace is cut off, and everything is flame sterilized and/or wiped down with alcohol.

Don't give up. It is not impossible to grow mushrooms, it just takes time and experience. The time is yours to make and the experience comes from failures. Learn from your failures in order to enjoy them more.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Offlineetard
etheonogenesis

Re: Sick of failure [Re: Ekstaza]
    #2090053 - 11/10/03 04:54 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, I live by a field, but I'm not sure what could be causing it. He's pc'd even longer than needed to insure sterility. It's just terrible. He's been so damn careful, spent so much time babying them. Just once if it would work out, even one little guy.

--------------------

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
    #2090091 - 11/10/03 05:09 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Try to think how the bastards are getting in, be paranoid while you working, if you keep things covered chance are the contams were in from the start or when you cased.

Sterilise the container. Make sure it has a good wash dry and wipe down with 97%+ alcohol.

Use a little h2o2 in your missing? I have found that adding about 25:1 water / 3% h2o2 to misting water really just cuts down on contams.

I have had loads of failures, I started a few new jars every week, then when I got it right I was a bit overwelmed. :smile:

You will crack it if you keep trying.

OfflineFlux
Symmetry Breaker
Loc: The Shroomery... retard
    #2090119 - 11/10/03 05:22 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Don't feel bad, my first FOUR fucking cases failed :mad2:! My fault, I was trying to be too fancy my first time doing a hawks 50/50 tek and fucked up by using dolomitic (sp?) lime, sub. was too wet etc.... . My first two jars failed (from wet spot from not PC'ing right) and this was after those four casings. I have gotten pretty good now though and have gotten six jars chugging along that I inoculated w/ a karo tek sol, hopefully everything goes alright. I just figured misery loves company so... 

--------------------
What'd I tell you about looking at my signature bitch!

Edited by Flux (11/10/03 05:29 PM)

OfflineLittlePygmyMan
Space Cadet

Loc: Calimifornias
Re: Sick of failure [Re: Flux]
    #2090642 - 11/10/03 08:36 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

What I do is clean my kitchen nice and good... Wear a mask and gloves... And keep a can of lysol with you at all times, spray everything down with it once every 5 minutes or so. I've never gotten a contam.

--------------------
-LittlePygmyMan

Offlinetuco_ramirez
Fistful ofShrooms

Loc: DETROIT!
Re: Sick of failure [Re: LittlePygmyMan]
    #2090722 - 11/10/03 09:08 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Lysol. Iso Alchohol. Cotton Balls. Mask. Gloves. Lighter.

I am spraying lysol all the time. Rubbing everything down with alchohol. Flaming the needle. All for innoc.

Recently started on a glove box after a few spore print failures.

Some odd years ago, I got completely discouraged after a string of failures. Quit growing for about a year or so. Then re-evaluated how I was growing and realized that I had gotten sloppy. Over-confident I guess.

So I came back with a sterile vengence. I haven't had any problems since I started being kinda anal about my cleaning habits around the house. And I think the lysol. Constant use of lysol. And my new HEPA filter helps too.

Anonymous

Re: Sick of failure [Re: tuco_ramirez]
    #2090809 - 11/10/03 09:45 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I have failed many times. I just got my grain to work after wasting about 30 quart jars. its all about procedures and being clean in the work environment. I don't keep my place very clean, but I use a glovebox and that helps out alot. and filter can help too.

if you are doing grain. I soaked them with some jet dry in there. about 10 drops in the water.. that helped. it helps to kill the bacteria once its pc'ed.

and I pc'ed them twice. that made all the difference.. it better to be over careful and then work out your procedures to make it easier and quicker.

I belive you can do it. if you are still having troubles pm me and we can work them out. failure is not an option! :smile:

peace

zerohero

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Re: Sick of failure [Re: ]
    #2090819 - 11/10/03 09:52 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

heh... I guess my apartment is really clean, I'm a lazy ass when it comes to steralization, the only thing I'm really careful with is prints and syringes, the only time I got a contam so far is when I stuck my finger into the substrate just to see if it would contaminate and sure enough it did, I guess lucks been on my side.

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Offlineetard
etheonogenesis

Re: Sick of failure [Re: John]
    #2090883 - 11/10/03 10:29 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Well, this has definitely been uplifting. I'm glad that I'm not the only one that's failed this way. Thanks for the encouragement, hopefully I'll get it this time. I'm going to bleach/water down the kitchen and lysol the hell out of it before pc'ing, vaccuum the room it's in, dust, bleach and lysol. That should take care of all the contams. Also going to wear some medical gloves. Sooner or later I have to get something out of this.... Thanks guys.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2090930 - 11/10/03 10:54 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

www.mycobag.com is the best way to go around the sterilization process. Pre filled grain bags are little contam safe environments.

I swear, the first grow is the hardest.

Good luck and don't give up.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineInnernaut
MycologicalNetworkTechnician

Re: Sick of failure [Re: Rose]
    #2094424 - 11/11/03 09:38 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

yeah... latex gloves are a godsend with this stuff. I found a box of 50 at walmart for 4.99 . I always use them if I have to touch anything... Be paranoid when working. If the thought of contamination possibly crosses your mind in any instance... re-sterilize. I sterilize my gloves, my lighters... everything...

--------------------

Offlinedaywalker
Do you dream in color?

Loc: in my skin
Re: Sick of failure [Re: Innernaut]
    #2094494 - 11/11/03 10:00 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

on my bud's first grow attempt, he had all the kit. gloves, mask, long sleeves, bandana, LYSOL... better to be safe, than sorry. keep on truckin'...

--------------------
"I suggest we ... learn to love our ... selves before it ... becomes illegal."

Offlinewhite_rabbit
alice in wonderland
    #2095228 - 11/12/03 12:54 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i didnt have time to read everyones post but how is your friend doing air exchange i had a fish tank air pump once that was the head honcho of my problems. i took it apart and cleaned part by part with 91 % alchol and then let it dry up real good since i havent had alot of problems with contam

Invisibleguitarpah
Left shroomery forever
Male
Re: Sick of failure [Re: white_rabbit]
    #2095418 - 11/12/03 02:01 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Use lysol like its water... put that shit on every thing, paying special attention to surfaces above where you work and yoyr body/tshirt. fuck the gloves, just clean your hand with alcohol. Clean every thing twice, and wear a dusk mask.. never leave anything uncovered for longer than you have to. Don't use bleach, it damages fabric and walls and actually does a worse job than rubbing alcohol. I have a friend who's a nurse so trust me. Last but not least, after work is done, make sure you clean and lysol the space where you put your stuff, do this twice a week. One little peice of mold in a closet can easly make it's way int a substrate. hope that helps

--------------------
Can't deal with the stubborn and the ignorant.  Good bye to those who were cool.

Invisibleplura16
ROM3/10 SOLID

Loc: U.S.A.
Re: Sick of failure [Re: guitarpah]
    #2095438 - 11/12/03 02:12 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

every tried casing with straight verm?

--------------------

- USA -

Offlineenimatpyrt
addict
Re: Sick of failure [Re: plura16]
    #2095604 - 11/12/03 03:30 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

What exactly is contaminating? If you could detail the what and the where, we could help with the why. Some suggestions:

1) As soon as you sterilize your jars and lower the PSI to 0, open the PC, shake jars if they are grain, and put into a box with a lid. This box should have been scrubbed out with bleach water, hot water, and Lysol'ed to maintain it's sanitary conditions. Thus, when the jars cool and "suck" in air, that air will be clean air.

2) Improvise a glove box. If it's a tupperware container with 2 holes cut in the side for your hands and saran wrap as the lid, it's better than nothing. TONS of instructions for improvised glove boxes abound. If you'd like instructions for a really crude, but very effective, glove box, please PM me.

3) Microwave your casing layer. Mix it wetter than you need it so that it can dry some. Nuke it till it steams, stir, nuke till it steams. Let cool in the microwave, use.

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN - The primary source of introducing contaminants to mushroom culture is yourself! Don't touch your casings, don't fool with them. I recommend spawning/casing to be done, then seal that container, put in your incubator, and don't fuck with it for at least three days. Let nature take her course.

Post more info about what it is exactly that is contaminating and how it is contaminating and we'll see if we can help ya. Good luck, and don't give up!

--------------------
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

Offlinefungulus
Re: Sick of failure [Re: enimatpyrt]
    #2095795 - 11/12/03 04:34 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Read up on sterile teq on this site and do a forum search on sterile, clean, stuff like that. I've always had a sucess rate of 65-95% following the teks and just using a little prevention and common sense. Keep trying.

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Sick of failure [Re: fungulus]
    #2096260 - 11/12/03 08:02 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

If you're getting cobweb it's probably because the humidity is too high -- unless you're dealing with cakes, then there's not too much you can do, except be really sterile.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale