Home | Community | Message Board

Fairy Ring Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Senator Harry Reid filibuster on CSPAN
    #2090437 - 11/10/03 09:18 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

He has been talking since 1:15 PM.

A Filibuster is the term used for an extended debate in the Senate which has the effect of preventing a vote.
Senate rules contain no motion to force a vote. A vote occurs only once debate ends.

The term comes from the early 19th century Spanish and Portuguese pirates, "filibusteros", who held ships hostage for ransom.

Some filibuster history
Wayne Morse Sets Filibuster Record

His admirers called him "The Tiger of the Senate." His many enemies, including five presidents, called him a lot worse. Today he is remembered as a gifted lawmaker and principled maverick who thrived on controversy.

Wayne Morse was born in Wisconsin in 1900. In his early years, he fell under the influence of that state's fiery progressive senator, Robert M. La Follette, a stem-winding orator and champion of family farmers and the laboring poor. In the 1930s, Morse became the nation's youngest law school dean and a skilled labor arbitrator. In 1944, despite his New Deal sympathies, he won election as a Republican to an Oregon U.S. Senate seat.

During the 1952 presidential campaign, Morse broke ranks with Republican leaders over the party's platform and Dwight Eisenhower's choice of Richard Nixon as his running mate. Claiming the Republican party had left him, Morse announced his switch to Independent status. In January 1953, Morse arrived at the opening session of the Eighty-third Congress with a folding chair and a comment. "Since I haven't been given any seat in the new Senate, I decided to bring my own." Although he was placed on the majority Republican side, that party's caucus stripped him of his choice committee assignments.

_________

He is doing this because the republicans want some more confirmations, they arent happy with the 168 they have gotten and Reid is sick of the way the Senate is being run. So right now he is reading a book because nothing good is getting done with the senate time. It's great. They should have a tag team event.

Also, another great link
http://www.moveon.org/moveonbulletin/bulletin11.html

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Senator Harry Reid filibuster on CSPAN [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #2090460 - 11/10/03 09:27 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

I'm not wild about the idea of changing the rules to halt filibusters as that would come back to haunt those who wish for it.

I do think it is being abused and ALL the nominees the Dems are jerking around deserve a vote. What's happening is shameful.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: Senator Harry Reid filibuster on CSPAN [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2090517 - 11/10/03 09:43 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

That if fucked, they have beat the horses of these judges over and over.  Much time has been used on this.  4 people out of 168.

4!

Let it fucking go!  This is a two party system. 

Not a one party badgering over and over and over till it gets its way, type of system.

He needs to give them hell.

Look at how many times the republicans have used this tactic! And then, to claim partisianship.................!!

:razz:

Phooey on you, luvdemshrooms.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2090538 - 11/10/03 09:51 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

phooey on those who do this......

"A similar story applies to a president's first 100 nominees. Presidents Reagan, Bush and Clinton got 97, 95 and 97, respectively, of their first 100 judicial nominations confirmed. But this Senate has confirmed only 57 of George W. Bush's first 100 nominees. Some Senate Democrats try to justify wholesale delays as payback for the past. That is bunk. During Mr. Clinton's eight years in office, the Senate confirmed 377 judges ? essentially the same (five fewer) as for Mr. Reagan (382). This is an unassailable record of non-partisan fairness, especially when you consider that Mr. Reagan had six years of a Senate controlled by his own party, while Mr. Clinton had only two.
Admittedly a biased source but the figures are easy enough to confirm.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2090547 - 11/10/03 09:56 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

PsiloKitten writes:

Let it fucking go! This is a two party system.

Yes, it is. But the confirmation of judges requires a vote. The Democrats (one of the two parties) won't allow the vote. Instead they filibuster.

Not a one party badgering over and over and over till it gets its way, type of system.

Filibustering is badgering until one party gets its way. It is the equivalent of a child throwing herself on the floor, drumming her heels and screaming so loudly that no one can get anything done until the child is given her way. No reason is involved, no debate (mannered or otherwise), just an exhibition of pure spite.

I see many people here complaining that the current system of government is not democratic enough, and allows the elected representatives to ignore the will of the people. Well, judicial nominee Brown has the support of 76% of those who voted in her appointment.

The Democrats wish to ignore democratic principles (anyone else see the irony here?) by not allowing a vote to occur. Rather than suck up time that could be spent more productively than reading a book, why not just have the vote and move on?

pinky

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Senator Harry Reid filibuster on CSPAN [Re: Phred]
    #2090595 - 11/10/03 10:18 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH CARL LEVIN'S COMBOVER?!!!!111

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: Senator Harry Reid filibuster on CSPAN [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2090606 - 11/10/03 10:21 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

You did not quote ORRIN HATCH? Do you do any drugs, shrooms? Any raving, any stuff that most of the people in this community have atleast participated in? I just cant believe you would quote that Drug war Nazi.

377? What? Huh? Those statistics are completely wacked out. I dont even know where to begin with that link.

Shit has changed, if you havent noticed. Since both Reagan and Clinton's terms.

--------------------

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: Senator Harry Reid filibuster on CSPAN [Re: afoaf]
    #2090615 - 11/10/03 10:24 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

/me blinks at your post.. hrmmm

As for Carl Levin's combover, you should have seen it when Reid was reading the messages that a pissed of Frist was sending to him on his blackberry.

It was great.

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#2090622 - 11/10/03 10:27 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

luvdem's stats are misleading...

what those numbers fail to address is the bevy of
appointees that didn't even get committee hearings
because the republicans blocked them.

this means no committee vote which means it will
never reach the floor.

same shit, different day.

--------------------

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#2090667 - 11/10/03 10:50 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

Some people recognize that appointments like these are LIFE long mistakes. The vote is swayed too far to the right. We must make stands somewhere.

I dont know where you got your stats on Brown, but here is a link with several sublinks to back up it's opinion. Which I happen to share.

http://www.talkleft.com/archives/004617.html

http://www.pfaw.org/pfaw/general/default.aspx?oId=11894

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2090719 - 11/10/03 11:07 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

So since she interprets the law as it was written, rather than the way she wishes it to be, she is an extremist? News flash -- that's what appeals court judges (the position for which she is being considered) are supposed to do.

pinky

--------------------

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#2090743 - 11/10/03 11:15 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

As it is written?

Where? In right wing fascist dictatorships? Not as it is written in America. Here in America, we have civil rights.

Maybe how the corporate honchos want it. But it isnt how it was written:

"In one dissent she listed as one of her ten most significant decisions, Brown sought to expand the contexts in which corporations could make false or misleading statements without any effective legal mechanism for holding them accountable. In another case discussed in the report, Brown argued that a corporation should be granted an injunction against a former employee sending emails critical of the company?s employment practices to some of his former colleagues."

That is just a single paragraph, we could discuss many many paragraphs discussing this women who even feminists arent supporting, only old white men.

--------------------

Edited by PsiloKitten (11/10/03 11:20 PM)

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#2090789 - 11/10/03 11:37 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

novel interpretation is one thing and
political agendas are another.

the blacks don't support her, lawyers
don't support her, women don't support
her.

the only people that do are those that
like the agenda and LOVE the politics of
being able to appoint a black woman that
will do your dirty work for you.

--------------------

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#2090808 - 11/10/03 11:45 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

Good post.
:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2090862 - 11/11/03 12:12 AM (13 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

afoaf said:
the blacks don't support her,

What are 'the blacks?' This is typical ignorant of group thought and quite racist. Do you think all black people are of one monlithic opinion? I bet you that I can find blacks that support her. Just because they're not the whiney welfare plantation types doesn't mean they don't have valid opinions.

Quote:

lawyers don't support her,

Which lawyers? I'm sure there are some that do and some that don't as well as some who have not taken a position.

Quote:

women don't support her.

Which women? I'm sure there are some that do and some that don't as well as some who have not taken a position.

Quote:

the only people that do are those that like the agenda and LOVE the politics of being able to appoint a black woman that will do your dirty work for you.

You sure like to make bigoted narrow minded statements. Has it ever occurred to you that many people support her because they have given a lot to the issue and find her intelligent, rational and knowledgeable on constitutional issues?

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2090940 - 11/11/03 12:59 AM (13 years, 25 days ago)

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: Senator Harry Reid filibuster on CSPAN [Re: Evolving]
    #2091048 - 11/11/03 01:58 AM (13 years, 25 days ago)

way to ignore the point by nitpicking.

spare us both your presumptuous 'bigot'
stump speech, you don't know me.

NAACP
National Bar Association
California Association of Black Lawyers
Various pro-choice and women's groups

so I'll reiterate:

the blacks don't support her, lawyers
don't support her, women don't support
her.

too broad?

maybe.

unfounded bigotry?

no.

I agree with her affirmative action rulings, but
her pro-corporate, anti-privacy, anti-environment,
anti-civil liberties rulings are quick to dash that
agreement.

this is an interesting tidbit:

Just because they're not the whiney welfare plantation
types doesn't mean they don't have valid opinions

pot.kettle.black?

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2091445 - 11/11/03 05:36 AM (13 years, 25 days ago)

I mentioned it was a biased source.

I also mentioned the figures are accurate. Did you even look before dismissing them?

Quote:

Shit has changed, if you havent noticed. Since both Reagan and Clinton's terms.

It sure has. The Democrats doing are doing the old "I'm taking my ball and going home" trick.

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2091853 - 11/11/03 11:43 AM (13 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

afoaf said:
way to ignore the point by nitpicking.

No, I was pointing out that your statements are inaccurate and/or misleading.

Quote:

so I'll reiterate:

the blacks don't support her,

Which blacks? All blacks? Here's a statement for you, blacks DO support her.

Quote:

lawyers don't support her,

Which lawyers, all lawyers? Guess what, lawyers DO support her.

Quote:

women don't support her.

Which women? All women? One more time, women DO support her.

Quote:

too broad?

Definately. Your reliance on group think and group politics is part of the problem that Luvdem pointed out with the Democratic party.

Quote:

pot.kettle.black?

No, the Democrats thrive politically on creating, maintaining and expanding dependency on the state. The rely on giving as many handouts as possible in order to receive as many votes as they can. This is what I refer to as the welfare plantation. Whiney are those who cry like stuck pigs anytime someone talks about reforming the system. They are either too ignorant or too consumed with control of the government machinery to realize (or admit) that they are promoting the trap of perpetual dependency to those they claim to care about.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: Senator Harry Reid filibuster on CSPAN [Re: Evolving]
    #2091905 - 11/11/03 12:05 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

I'm sure every bigot has some sound reasoning
to back up his hatred for minorities...

I wonder if you'd use that same language around
your african american friends...that is, if you have
any.

one more time...

NAACP
National Bar Association
California Association of Black Lawyers
Various pro-choice and women's groups

all have spoken out against this candidate.

how about you back up your *women, blacks
and lawyers DO support her* claim by citing
some groups that have pledged support for her
instead of playing percentages.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion