Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Loc: Florida
Quick Microscope - Contam Question?
    #2089860 - 11/10/03 03:46 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Afoaf recently traded a couple strains with someone. It's been several weeks, and of the 2 strains she got - 1 did nothing (zero growth at 11 days with perfect temps) and the other got a lovely red mold she'd not previously encountered during her 2 years of experiments. She never mentioned this to the trader, just made note to avoid trades with that person in the future.
Said trader has now emailed and stated that the trade received "appeared to be contaminated under microscope observation". My friend doesn't own a microscope, and does not look at them before putting to good use.
Based on the length of time since the trade, coupled with the disastrous results of the syringes received.....I believe my friend's trader may be inexperienced, and trying to get a freebie on my friend. Since my friend got nothing usable in the original trade, she is not inclined to send more usable syringes.
2 Syringes from the same print led to typical grows for my friend, first flush drying now. Seems unlikely that 1 out of 3 syringes (all done in a poor man's glove box - same as always) would fail, while the other 2 did well on wheat & popcorn.
For those who DO view spores under a scope, is there any quick question I can ask to determine whether this trader even has enough knowledge (much less a scope) to determine whether the spores are viable?
Any help appreciated.

--------------------
I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Quick Microscope - Contam Question? [Re: babyshroom]
    #2090433 - 11/10/03 07:16 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Ask him to identify what contaminants were present.  Fungal, bacteria, or virus.  Ask him why it matters if the spores are contaminated.  The majority of them are what he requested, and measurements are not hindered by contaminants.

Also include the information about your end of the trade going sour as well.

I personally perfer contaminated spores, because I get to figure out what genus they belong to. :wink: 

Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Loc: Florida
Re: Quick Microscope - Contam Question? [Re: ]
    #2096684 - 11/12/03 10:25 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you very much. Now to show my gross stupidity - are "contaminants" normally present in perfectly viable syringes?
ds

--------------------
I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds