Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
OfflineCrystal G
I'm a teapot

Loc: outer space
What is wrong with the entire police system in America… (DISCUSS) * 3
    #20902384 - 11/28/14 09:30 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

As we all know, there is a huge problem with police authoritarianism and police brutality in America. We are basically the ONLY developed country in the world where police brutality is so damn bad, despite the fact that violent crime exists in many other developed countries.

Take for example, this video of this cop breaking this guy's legs with a baton over and over again, even though the man was already lying down and handcuffed:

Or how about the police officers who beat Kelly Thomas, a schizophrenic homeless man to death?

What do you think is the problem with police in America? Is it gun control? The psychology of gang mentality? Or something else?

Me personally, I think a huge problem with police mentality is the fact that not enough of them have university degrees, and that too many of them are recruited directly from the military.

There's also a huge problem with the fact that police departments often test for things such as physical aptitude tests or performing lie detector exams, but very rarely will they conduct a series of psychological evaluations to determine whether the candidate has PTSD, anger issues, alcoholism, etc. All of which SHOULD automatically make somebody ineligible to be a police officer.

The problem with recruiting military personnel is that military personnel often have an authoritarian perspective due to the way they are trained in the military. In the military, the only thing that means squat is rank and seniority. If somebody of a higher rank than you in a position of power commands you to do something, you obey orders, period. There is so much brainwashing and blind obedience to authority practiced in the military.

The fact that veterans are imbued with Messiah-like statuses really doesn't help with the authority-complex, either. And until the 1980's when hip hop and anti-establishment media first became mainstream, the police used to be imbued with the same God-like statuses.

Veterans who have been to combat already are ingrained with the "shoot-to-kill" mentality and are already familiar with the use of excessive deadly force. Treating civilians as if they are members of Al-Qaeda in the end, is what is costing us so much in the penal system and what is wrong with the entire police system of the United States.

The other problem too, is that seeking therapy is often considered "wimpy" within the police community. If you experience some type of trauma while working, you are not encouraged to talk about it. Instead, you are encouraged by your peers to drink at the bar or drink yourself to death, or at least until you black-out, every time you feel the urge to disclose your feelings. (This information was told to me by a practicing psychologist who used to be a police officer with PTSD.)

The concept of therapy has such a stigma within the police force, that perhaps it would be a good idea to make it mandatory to provide a certain number of hours of therapy to each police officer every few weeks or so.

Please everybody discuss your thoughts.

Edited by Crystal G (11/29/14 12:54 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineD.M.T
Shroomery Contaminant
Female

Loc: In your brain
Re: What is wrong with the entire police system in America… (DISCUSS) [Re: Crystal G]
    #20902394 - 11/28/14 09:33 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I think the problem between police and citizens largely is the fight for authority. Both sides want it.

OfflineHellogoodbyedeath

Loc: Flag
Re: What is wrong with the entire police system in America… (DISCUSS) [Re: Crystal G]
    #20902401 - 11/28/14 09:34 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Honestly, I agree. Great post. :yesnod:

Quote:

D.M.T said:
I think the problem between police and citizens largely is the fight for authority. Both sides want it.

Never thought about this. Hm!

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
    #20902405 - 11/28/14 09:35 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I was going to lock this thread because we have a sufficient number of related threads, but you put some effort into this.

NO MORE COP THREADS!

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: What is wrong with the entire police system in America… (DISCUSS) [Re: D.M.T] * 4
    #20902406 - 11/28/14 09:35 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

More police with military tools
More people fed up with police
An us-vs-them mentality
The reduction of cops "walking the beat" - where they got to know their community, and visa versa
Soldiers with PTSD
Reduced entrance requirements
Paltry pay
Police unions
city government cronyism
donuts

OfflineCrystal G
I'm a teapot

Loc: outer space
Re: What is wrong with the entire police system in America… (DISCUSS) [Re: koods]
    #20902413 - 11/28/14 09:37 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
I was going to lock this thread because we have a sufficient number of related threads, but you put some effort into this.

NO MORE COP THREADS!

Got it. I thought that this one would fly, because it's not related to Ferguson, and the other cop thread has taken on a totally different tangent that's more on a personal level than a societal level.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
    #20902423 - 11/28/14 09:39 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Last week's episode of This American Life is germane to this discussion

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/podcast.thisamericanlife.org/podcast/540.mp3

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
Re: What is wrong with the entire police system in America… (DISCUSS) [Re: Crystal G] * 2
    #20902428 - 11/28/14 09:40 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Police in America are terrible, but I totally disagree that other countries are all better. Saudia Arabia, Dubai, India, Mexico, police in all these places are just as brutal or worse. The difference is that it doesn't make the news. Even Japan is pretty notorious for police beatings of foreigners. Anyway, I think it's a combination of a lot of different things:

First, the mentality of a lot of people who decide to become cops. A lot of them are not people who you'd ever want in a position of power to begin with.

Second, the "us versus them" mentality that the police have. The public becomes "the enemy" and the fellow officers "the good guys." Protect and serve doesn't exist, the public are thought of as "the bad guys" end of story.

Third, the idea that the police are not there to interpret the law or to help people. This makes cops hyper vigilant about overly literal enforcement of even the smallest laws. Since they're not there to help people they don't care about who they hurt in the process.

Finally, and most importantly, the total and complete lack of accountability. Cops can rape, murder, and beat people and get away with it. Not only can they, but they do on a regular basis.

OfflineD.M.T
Shroomery Contaminant
Female

#20902430 - 11/28/14 09:40 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I am surprised all of the flaming and admissions of being a puppet account has been allowed from a user in that thread for so long.

I like the 'hands off' approach from the Mods actually, just seems very unlike them.

OfflineShroomslip
Architekt
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#20902435 - 11/28/14 09:42 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Why do you put such an emphasis on developed country? Are you saying police brutality is acceptable because less developed countries are basically just a bunch of animals or something? If you have a problem with police brutality, it should be universal. I think you just want to continue the debate you started (or tried to start) in the Ferguson thread.

Police brutality exists because it's a symptom of giving people power. Some people can't handle power. There's always going to be a percentage that get off abusing that power. No matter what measures you take.

Also from some other thread I think in SA that I can't remember right now. The police are trained to specifically escalate the situation to show their authority. So whatever measures the "suspect" takes, they're going to go one step higher. That is their training. They are not here to diffuse situations they are here to control situations. A lot of it has to do with that.

--------------------
With my face against the floor I can’t see who knocked me out of the way.
I don’t want to get back up but I have to so it might as well be today.
Nothing appeals to me no one feels like me, I’m too busy being calm to disappear.
I’m in no shape to be alone contrary to the shit that you might hear.

You can't wake up, this is not a dream. You're part of a machine, you are not a human being
With your face all made up, living on a screen. Low on self esteem, so you run on gasoline

Edited by Shroomslip (11/28/14 09:45 PM)

Offlinespixce
Up, Up & Away
Male

Loc: AZ Flag
Re: What is wrong with the entire police system in America… (DISCUSS) [Re: D.M.T] * 2
    #20902438 - 11/28/14 09:43 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

The police have too much power and care more about money than protecting and serving the community.

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: What is wrong with the entire police system in America… (DISCUSS) [Re: Crystal G] * 1
    #20902445 - 11/28/14 09:45 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Crystal G said:
Take for example, this video of this cop breaking this guy's legs with a baton over and over again, even though the man was already lying down waiting to be arrested:

but he wasnt, he was refusing to roll over so the cops could handcuff him,
the cues of trying to force him to roll over and say "roll over" are pretty
big indicators that he should roll over, had he complied with those
instructions then he may not have revived any injury

what he did is commonly called "resisting arrest"

OfflineEzuma
Gontish Wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: Roke
Re: What is wrong with the entire police system in America… (DISCUSS) [Re: spixce] * 1
    #20902450 - 11/28/14 09:47 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

spixce said:
The police have too much power and care more about money than protecting and serving the community.

this. And they all too often -in Canada at least- are not held accountable when they do shit wrong, which is pretty damn often or at least it seems that way

Offlinemy3rdeye
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: What is wrong with the entire police system in America… (DISCUSS) [Re: D.M.T]
    #20902474 - 11/28/14 09:54 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

It's not just America. Canadian cops beat up people of a fairly wide demographic. Even middle class middle aged white guys will get beats if they talk too much shit when drunk. I doubt the cops in Australia or UK would hesitate to whoop your ass if you are too out of line either. If I was a cop and some punk spit on me it would be billy club time. That's why I'm not a cop. I just don't think US cops have cornered the market on brutality.

OfflineEzuma
Gontish Wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: What is wrong with the entire police system in America… (DISCUSS) [Re: my3rdeye]
    #20902485 - 11/28/14 09:56 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah they're not so great in Canada either. I don't know a single person who feels safer with cops around actually.

OfflineD.M.T
Shroomery Contaminant
Female

Re: What is wrong with the entire police system in America… (DISCUSS) [Re: my3rdeye] * 1
    #20902486 - 11/28/14 09:56 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

The United States of America is just fun to criticize because it's supposed to be perfect.

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
Re: What is wrong with the entire police system in America… (DISCUSS) [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #20902489 - 11/28/14 09:57 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

Crystal G said:
Take for example, this video of this cop breaking this guy's legs with a baton over and over again, even though the man was already lying down waiting to be arrested:

but he wasnt, he was refusing to roll over so the cops could handcuff him,
the cues of trying to force him to roll over and say "roll over" are pretty
big indicators that he should roll over, had he complied with those
instructions then he may not have revived any injury

what he did is commonly called "resisting arrest"

:congrats: no reason to beat half to death, or yeah and that's illegal too, so the cops are contradicting everything they're "supposed to be" about.

thanks for exposing this yet again for us pris.

Quote:

D.M.T said:
The United States of America is just fun to criticize because it's supposed to be perfect.

i thought the world was supposed to be perfect. damn. it's probably only America, eh?

OfflineEzuma
Gontish Wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: What is wrong with the entire police system in America… (DISCUSS) [Re: D.M.T] * 1
    #20902490 - 11/28/14 09:57 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

The main thing that annoys me is the number of people with such a crazy amount of blind faith and patriotism towards America... Canadians like that exist too though, and they piss me off to no end. Patriotism in general pisses me off.

Offlinespixce
Up, Up & Away
Male

Loc: AZ Flag
Re: What is wrong with the entire police system in America… (DISCUSS) [Re: akira_akuma] * 2
    #20902499 - 11/28/14 09:59 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

The police should only use violence if violence is used against them.

--------------------

OfflineD.M.T
Shroomery Contaminant
Female

Re: What is wrong with the entire police system in America… (DISCUSS) [Re: Ezuma]
    #20902500 - 11/28/14 09:59 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Ezuma said:
The main thing that annoys me is the number of people with such a crazy amount of blind faith and patriotism towards America... Canadians like that exist too though, and they piss me off to no end. Patriotism in general pisses me off.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order