Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

Temps are right but they still won't pin! (HELP)
    #2088953 - 11/10/03 09:32 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I'm brand new to growing mushies and this is my first attempt at it. I have a single mycobag that I have in a terrarium now. The humidity is really high, the temps are around 70F, and it's getting a decent amount of light for 4+ hours per day.

It's been about 10 days and still no signs of pins. It has however started growing fluffy mycelium around the bottom of the cake. I read in the faq that this is because of too high a temperature, but my temperature is within the correct range.

Why won't they pin and what can I do to help them along?

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Temps are right but they still won't pin! (HELP) [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #2088975 - 11/10/03 09:51 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

It can take longer than 10 days -- they should pin eventually. The fluffiness is probably because of high humidity, but it's not really a problem.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

Re: Temps are right but they still won't pin! (HELP) [Re: micro]
    #2088979 - 11/10/03 09:54 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Is there anything I can do to speed up the pinning?

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

OfflineSegabo
journeyman

#2088988 - 11/10/03 09:58 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Try cold shokcing them by putting them in your fridge over night.

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Temps are right but they still won't pin! (HELP) [Re: Segabo]
    #2088991 - 11/10/03 10:02 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Ditto -- a cold shock can speed things up, a lot.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Loc: Northern USA
    #2089504 - 11/10/03 01:30 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Hmmmm another chance is that your mycobag is dry now, it could have lost alot of moisture during the incubation phase. I would suggest you feel how heavy it is if it feels light like there is nothing really in the middle, I would suggest a dunking.

Growing lots of mycellium can mean that you have too much humidity and too high of a temperature or just one of the above. (by the way 70 degrees isn't high 83 is optimum and with a lower temperature the growth will be stunted and take LONGER THEN 10 days)

In one case I know a friend who was lazy and all his cakes dried out just to the point of failure but they pinned barely he dunked them and the next flush was well beyond any of the first ones. Cold shocking wont' speed your cakes up either, only certain types of mushrooms respond to cold shock.

So my wager is if you are growing lots of mycellium you have humidity try lowering your humidity to about 90% if you do feel your mycobag and it feels very light I would consider a dunk.

(put it in a gladware plastic container fits a mycobag just right)
Fill this container with mineral water right from a bottle, place mycobag inside it. Place in fridge for 12 hours (12 hours EXACTLY) if you cant' get it exact try to go a little less but any less then 6 is purposeless. THen place back into terranium.

Also you should state how your terranium is set-up if you are using perlite you may have added too much water and thus you have two choices either redo your terranium and add the right amount of water, or wait and allow the humidity to stabalize in your terranium.

And you took the myco bag bag off didn't you????

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

Re: Temps are right but they still won't pin! (HELP) [Re: BleedingSickness]
    #2090219 - 11/10/03 05:54 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

The cake is very heavy and has been moist since I took it out of the bag. While in the bag it was basically stewing in it's own moisture so it is very saturated.

I'm going to dump the perlite out and refill it with less water tomorrow. Hopefully this will help.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag