Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineangryjslice
now with 20%more anger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
sensory depravation
    #2086963 - 11/09/03 05:30 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

have any of you out there tried any sensory depravation at all? s.d. combined with tripping maybe? ive been really interested in this for a long time, but im not about to go out an invest in a float tank. any of you psychonauts have any good ideas how to accomplish this with minimal investment, id be very interested.

~JSlice~

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: sensory depravation [Re: angryjslice]
    #2086967 - 11/09/03 05:33 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I've been interested in trying it since i first heard of it. I have no access to it though, unfortunately.

OfflineMisterKite
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montreal, QC
Re: sensory depravation [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #2086994 - 11/09/03 05:53 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Sensory deprivation, as in staying awake for days on end till you're delirious?

--------------------
"But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy."

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: sensory depravation [Re: MisterKite]
    #2086999 - 11/09/03 05:57 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I am investing in one of these tanks someday.
http://www.samadhitank.com/

Offlinestudent
Stranger

Re: sensory depravation [Re: Earth_Droid]
    #2087028 - 11/09/03 06:18 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Lying in bed in a completely dark and almost silent room does the trick for me when tripping. I close all the blinds, turn off all the lights. I unplug everything that has light like the clock radio and vcr. I towel the door and make sure as many lights as possible are off in the house, in case I have to get up. The sound is a little harder. Usually about 2am to 5am on week days provide the least noise. The house is real quite, but you can still hear cars when it is real quiet.
I suppose if you wanted to you could use a bathtub in the same environment, but I have never tried this. That would probably be a little closer to the actual depravation chamber than a bed.

good luck,
student

Offlineangryjslice
now with 20%more anger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: sensory depravation [Re: MisterKite]
    #2087060 - 11/09/03 06:34 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

MisterKite said:
Sensory deprivation, as in staying awake for days on end till you're delirious?

no, s.d. is like, no sound, no light, no nothing. it really opens up the mind. people use float tanks because your bouancy takes away alot of the other senses like feeling what your lying on. sometimes people deprive all but one sense to magnify that one.

~JSlice~

--------------------

OfflineAse
Stranger

Loc: sideways & upsidedown
    #2087190 - 11/09/03 07:21 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, that was on the simpsons right?  :stoned:

I'd imagine your thoughts would get pretty crazy if you did that while tripping.

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: sensory depravation [Re: Ase]
    #2087201 - 11/09/03 07:25 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

How much do they cost?

--------------------
No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.

Meow.

OfflineMisterKite
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montreal, QC
Re: sensory depravation [Re: MycoCat]
    #2087406 - 11/09/03 08:19 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

That's insane!! and awesome!!

--------------------
"But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy."

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Re: sensory depravation [Re: Ase]
    #2087470 - 11/09/03 08:35 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Altered States

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Offlineangryjslice
now with 20%more anger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: sensory depravation [Re: motaman]
    #2087527 - 11/09/03 08:53 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

altered states is one of the most disturbing movies i have ever seen in my entire life. really makes you think about the animal state that we all repress inside ourselves. tanks are expensive...but you can build them yourself (also expensive). i was hoping someone would have some ideas for sensory depravation without resorting to such things. student is on the right track with the bathtub trip.

~JSlice~

--------------------

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

#2087566 - 11/09/03 09:08 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Wow, expensive really narrows the price range down. Anyone know a real price for one? I'm just curious.

--------------------
No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.

Meow.

Invisiblethepodman
Pod King

Loc: Pod Nightmare
Re: sensory depravation [Re: MycoCat]
    #2087878 - 11/09/03 10:56 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

The closest I got to sensory depravation was spending an entire acid trip lying in my bed in a pitch black room with little sound. It is a good way to get a lot of thinking done.

--------------------
www.drugpolicyalliance.org
"Hey daddy, president Bush tried marijuana, I think I will."

Invisiblenoresolution
passer-through
Re: sensory depravation [Re: thepodman]
    #2088491 - 11/10/03 02:55 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i have an old style bathtub (you know the kind with the 'feet') that's not hooked up anymore. with some modification, it could be converted into a kick ass sd tank.

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: event horizon
Re: sensory depravation [Re: noresolution]
    #2088868 - 11/10/03 08:36 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

They mix salts in the water of the float tank so that you can float on a small layer of water. They also make the temp the same as your body's. Sounds awesome. I heard there are some spa's where you can use them, probably not in Holland though :frown:
Modding a bathtub sounds like a lot of work if you want to do it good, but it would be a cool project.
A cheap way to eliminate sounds is to put on a headphone, but then you have the sense of a headphone against your ears. Some relaxing music would be cool though.

--------------------
futuretribe.space

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2089045 - 11/10/03 10:29 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

the movie "altered states" (script/screenplay by paddy chayevsky)...
was more or less ripped off from dr john c lilly's manuscript notes for his book _the center of the cyclone_ (which covered much of the same ground as his NIMH monograph _programming and metaprogramming in the human biocomputer_ , but written for the general public as opposed to a government agency...)
lilly designed the float tank in response questions in the 50s from various government agencies about what would happen to a person who was in a quiet, dark, weightless place far from other people (apparently NASA was wondering about humans in orbit...) --- he tried it out and found that once you got used to it, you started to see & feel things that felt quite real, but would seem to be products of the floater's otherwise unoccupied consciousness...
eventually he started combining the floating experience with drugs (including LSD & ketamine, among others)... and things got even wierder...
as to the dolphins in the lab nextdoor (st thomas, virgin islands, mid-60s) --- well, that's another story...
~
in addition to the books mentioned, there are others:
the dyadic cyclone, the deep self, the scientist, the book of floating...
www.google.com for more info, i betcha...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineNewSpore
Just Starting toSee the Light

Re: sensory depravation [Re: gnrm23]
    #2091047 - 11/10/03 11:57 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.toolsforwellness.com/mf001.html

Cant afford a dep tank so this will have to due ( while lying on a soft mattress)

--------------------
Be in truth and watch the magic happen.
SBP TEK

Offlinespleen
DisgruntledEmployee

Loc: Southern England
Re: sensory depravation [Re: cybrbeast]
    #2092753 - 11/11/03 01:50 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

cybrbeast said:
They mix salts in the water of the float tank so that you can float on a small layer of water. They also make the temp the same as your body's. Sounds awesome. I heard there are some spa's where you can use them, probably not in Holland though :frown:

Try Koan Float in Amsterdam : http://www.koan-float.com/
Did my first float there in the Summer and it was a brilliant experience, Don't know if I'd want to do it tripping though...

I was also lucky enough to find a float center a 15 minute drive away from my home as well :smile: 

--------------------
-->
You don't succeed because you hesitate, you think we're flying but we levitate...

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: event horizon
Re: sensory depravation [Re: spleen]
    #2093216 - 11/11/03 03:59 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks dude, I'll check it out

--------------------
futuretribe.space

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #2094792 - 11/11/03 11:15 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I went on a 10 day meditation retreat - vipassana -where we had to meditate for 10 hours a day, every day, and were not allowed to talk to anyone or do anything in our breaks besides sleep, eat and walk. By the end of it I was pretty well sensorily deprived and I had some vivid hallucinations while meditating. I knew they were just hallucinations or 'visions'. I saw a white light of love and compassion projecting out of my forehead, and I saw snakes coming out of my body and saw spiral staircases like the double helix in front of my eyes. I also saw a woman changing into different other women of different nationalities and there was this one unchanging woman watching over the others and I thought they were my past lives. Anyway, the visions I guess could have been because of the meditation or the sensory deprivation because both are altered states of consciousness and altered states share characteristics - one that is hallucinations. Though by the end of the retreat all stimulation became very strong. I read when I got home that is a characteristic of sensory deprivation - if you get very little external stimulation you start overstimulating on the inside, and any stimulation you do get from the outside is extra strong. Like, I would walk out of the meditation room and the light would be extremely bright. Somebody started snoring in the meditation room once and it was extremely funny, we couldn't stop giggling - stuff like that. The effects lasted for a week or so after leaving (same with other people I know who have done the vipassana) like TV was just a bit much because it was too overstimulating. I had to get to uni to hand in something and just getting there and doing that (though normally a piece of cake) was quite stressful - seemed like such a process. So the stimulation could be good or bad. I dunno, I think I would be scared to trip in that state. They have vipassana in most countries if you were interested in trying that.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom