Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblePeachMan
Buster

Loc: Gotta Get Back to the Min...
Damnit... music doesn't work anymore
    #2086780 - 11/09/03 03:29 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I've been a musician since i was seven... have always loved music, creating it, listening to it, performing it. i've wanted nothing more in life than to make music and be merry for as long as i can remember. its always been my release

i'm in a killer band, with a growing fan base. this band is well on its way to at least being a full-time job, where we tour and are self sufficient. thats all i've ever wanted in life

but lately this is not the case. i can't stand music. it cause more anger and grief than anything; i get no joy from playing. i'm seriously reconsidering my direction in life. and its a really scary place. music is who i am and all of the sudden its like its left me. i can't even have the stereo in my car on anymore, i drive in silence.

what the fuck>?

--------------------
Santa Claus ain't legal-- and he's around.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: Damnit... music doesn't work anymore [Re: PeachMan]
    #2086833 - 11/09/03 04:17 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

interesting....
I can't really relate, i'm sorry.
Music is my life too, and I love every bit of ear candy.
Maybe you just need some kind of reassurance? some sort of inspiration, some kind of rebirth of music.
I dunno, when I get bored with music, I seek out something new, either a new instrument or a new type of music or a new way of studying it.
just droppin my 2 cents

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Damnit... music doesn't work anymore [Re: Blastrid]
    #2087026 - 11/09/03 06:17 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I feel ya, and it's ok, it's natural. jsut really look inside yourself and ask, "what else can I do along side with music?" you don't jsut have to do music after all. you may jsut need a break, and that's ok, because it still sounds as though music is your life.
here' sa couple of others things, to think on. what expectations do you have? was there something you expected that is no longer there now that you are in a band. is the poeple that you are around rather than the music? it's really all inside your head if something pisses you off or not. don't let the band suffer because you're suffering. talk to them about it, if they don't understand, then get out. trust me I was in a couple of them.

why do you hate it though? just curious

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

InvisiblePeachMan
Buster

Re: Damnit... music doesn't work anymore [Re: kaiowas]
    #2087477 - 11/09/03 08:37 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

kaiowas said:
why do you hate it though? just curious

i don't know, thats the thing. the band is still going better than expected. more people are packing in and bringing friends to every show. we're writing new material. we're playing better and better together (we do alot of improv). but i'm just not happy with any of it.

i don't get along great with some of my bandmates (there are eight of us), but thats nothing new and its not really anymore severe now than it was when we started.

i've known this was my life's calling for years. you can't turn off being a musician. somewhere inside me, i know that this is still all i want to do with my life (im def not cut out for 9-5 lifestyle), but just the thought of band practice tomorrow repulses me. i don't want to pick up my guitar, i don't want to write, i don't want to touch the other instruments i toy with.

sadly, the thought of just moving back home, saying fuck it, and becoming an english teacher is becoming more and more appealing...

--------------------

OfflineQuintessence
I am Hydrogen

#2087497 - 11/09/03 08:44 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

It sounds like you could use a break from music. I doubt you will be able to stay away long though. When and if you do return you will have a whole mess of new ideas.

You got any MP3s of your band or solo?

--------------------

InvisiblePeachMan
Buster

Re: Damnit... music doesn't work anymore [Re: Quintessence]
    #2087869 - 11/09/03 10:53 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i'm not smart enough to work the internet/mp3 thing... if you want to PM an addy i'll send a demo your way.

--------------------

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #2087921 - 11/09/03 11:09 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like your passion has become your job. Try a vacation for a week or two.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Invisiblecortex
[ H ] ψ = [ E ] ψ
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gedankenexperiment
Re: Damnit... music doesn't work anymore [Re: pattern]
    #2110702 - 11/16/03 01:52 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Have you tried going to a good, high-energy show, like Widespread Panic, The Dead, or even Phish? Seems like seeing a really good live act might 're-kindel' some love for the music...

--------------------

Signature (up to 750 characters).

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #2110963 - 11/16/03 05:51 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

sounds to me like you could just use a break for a while....i like to do alot of things, but when i do them over and over again, i start to lose some of the passion that inspired me to do them in the first place...

like for instance, in high school i was a wrestler (hence the name) i loved wrestling. i played football too, and had fun doing it, but wrestling was the only sport where i could get "one on one" competition...its just me and the other guy, i cant blame anything that happens in my match on anyone else but me....anyway, im rambling here

so back to the point...every day of summer, and every day of school up to the point of the start of the season was filled with pure emotion...i just couldnt wait for the season to start. but not long into the season, after many long bus rides and 2-3 day tournaments, along with cutting weight (i hated cutting weight) my love for the sport that was there at the begining started to dwindle...by the end of the season, i hated every match, every practice, and just couldnt wait for the season to end...i just got to a point where everything was routine...i guess at this point i couldnt really remember why i was doing this. the fact that i was doing it every day for such a long period made me lose sight on alot of my motives... but then the season ended, and the whole cycle started over....

anyway, its not that good of an analogy, but its the best i could do. i was never really into creating music, i just dont have that creative spark...take a break for a while. try to remember all the things you love about creating music. step back from your routine and let yourself remember.

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Offlineorizon
shroomin bliss

Re: Damnit... music doesn't work anymore [Re: wrestler_az]
    #2111510 - 11/16/03 12:55 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Try to explore new genres of music. Expand your mind away from the direction your band is going and maybe this will relight your drive. Im sure it will come back. Music is my passion as well. Im going to be a musician or die trying. Whether or not people enjoy what I create just makes it into a profession rather than a life long passion. Maybe your exploration will give you and your band a broader perspective of the possibilities of music. And yes...they are endless

OfflineHarbinger
The Power of theRiff Compels Me

Loc: Far Away
    #2113140 - 11/16/03 09:15 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I hear ya man, there are times when I get like that. Never have I not wanted to listen to music all together, but there have been countless times when I will go through periods of time not having much desire to play music, I just feel very uninspired and question if this is what I want to do with my life....but then it passes. It's really weird, it just comes and goes.

--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.

:rockon:

Offlineorizon
shroomin bliss

Re: Damnit... music doesn't work anymore [Re: Harbinger]
    #2113355 - 11/16/03 09:50 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

This might be a symptom of the ever popular epidemic that damns inspiring musicians alike called "Writers block"

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Damnit... music doesn't work anymore [Re: orizon]
    #2115629 - 11/17/03 09:02 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i start to get annoyed with music when i try too hard to remember why i liked music to begin with, like im trying to remember how to enjoy. I say go without music as long as you want to. it'll come back when the time's right and you'll probably have a great new perspective of it and what it means to you.

OfflineSparklehorse
If Im here whosgrooming thefoxes for theparade

Loc: UK
Re: Damnit... music doesn't work anymore [Re: Grav]
    #2119504 - 11/18/03 11:04 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I'm going through something similar. I've got a band at the mo in which I'm the drummer and we too have got a growing fan base, but on top of the band I also take a full time music course. It has consumed my life and when I'd have normally had music on at night to go to sleep, I now can't stand to listen to it at night.
Also sometimes I lose the passion to play or even listen to music, I just plain get fed up of the stuff. I find it's best not to fight the feeling, and just do something else for a week or two; because you're musically inclined and it's naturally what you're into, you'll find yourself going back to it with as much love and vigour as you had when you first got into it.

--------------------

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Damnit... music doesn't work anymore [Re: Sparklehorse]
    #2119656 - 11/18/03 12:01 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i think if your always surrounded by music than you start to take it for granted and forget what it means to you.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Damnit... music doesn't work anymore [Re: Grav]
    #2120359 - 11/18/03 03:50 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Agreed.
Anything in excess can be bad.. even the things you love.
The key is moderation and balance. Take a break from music, do some other things you enjoy, in no time you will be back to loving it.

--------------------

InvisiblePeachMan
Buster

Re: Damnit... music doesn't work anymore [Re: Shroomism]
    #2156367 - 12/03/03 07:07 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

it works again

--------------------

Offlinesykobish
ProfessionalPsycho - JTOKREW
 User Gallery

Loc: Toronto, eh?
    #2156632 - 12/03/03 08:32 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Glad to see you are feeling better. :smile::thumbup: 

--------------------
I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. One.
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
To love is to admire with the heart; to admire is to love with the mind. - Th?ophile Gautier.
Seek not every quality in one individual - Confucius.
Global Living Space

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #2158095 - 12/04/03 12:11 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Its just a faze, try to take a brake from music all together just for alittle while untill you can look inside and see what the cause of the problem is.

--------------------

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
Re: Damnit... music doesn't work anymore [Re: Dreamer987]
    #2159079 - 12/04/03 06:29 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

yeah, if you dont play for a day or two... or up to a week or two, you'll be dying to play after.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom