Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
"the skeptic"
    #2085838 - 11/09/03 02:14 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

ok why are people all of a sudden referring to themselves as this. to those who call yourselves this...my question to you is, why catagorize yourself? as if you are THAT much different than anypone else. as if everyone on this board is or isn't a skeptic. I'm just curious, no criticism here at all.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: "the skeptic" [Re: kaiowas]
    #2086034 - 11/09/03 05:02 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, you think they would be skeptical about labeling themselves skeptical or something.

To label oneself as skeptical belies the very essence of skepticism.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Invisibleadrug

#2086049 - 11/09/03 05:31 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

There's a fine line between being skeptical and being close minded.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: "the skeptic" [Re: adrug]
    #2086060 - 11/09/03 05:51 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

and a skeptic will tell you

"theres a fine line between open mindedness and madness"

(what they dont know is even madness(controled madness) Can have benifit)

that being said, I like your quote better

--------------------

OfflineDavid_Scape
Anti Genius
Male

Loc: U.S. of muthafuckin A.
    #2086331 - 11/09/03 10:44 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Well, I consider myself, rather loosely, a skeptic. Just so as to avoid the categorization you talk about. I consider myself a little spiritual; about as spiritual as a person who doesnt believe in a god can get, probably. I still entertain mystical ideas especially when considering the bigger picture of things, but blind or large amounts of faith, is something a little detestible to me. All-in-all, I try to mind my own business. Alot of people here have had unique and interesting experiences that incline them to believe the way that they do. So I consider them a different(more respectable) breed from the normal religous person.

A skeptic is just a person who questions, and who probably has alot less faith than you do. These people are'nt to be hated though. Being bothered by them in general is akin being afraid of them. Unless of course they collectively offended you. and to see a closed mind is easy... Just look for the bias. Bias cultivates in all of us to some extent but some people ooze of it from every pore, spiritual and skeptical alike.

--------------------
focusing
Flow
The Enneagram

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: "the skeptic" [Re: David_Scape]
    #2086337 - 11/09/03 10:45 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

You hit the nail on the head, pretty much, man. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineDavid_Scape
Anti Genius
Male

#2086344 - 11/09/03 10:50 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

If your suspicious of an emotional investment in a person who openly and excessively calls his/herself a skeptic, i can see how it's warranted. I just consider it an action that is taken when a person is really disturbed by a particular mode of thought. Probably focusing on it's lack of reasoning.

--------------------
focusing
Flow
The Enneagram

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #2086491 - 11/09/03 12:24 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Edit: reply to kaiowas not ^^^^^^

"Scientific skepticism is a scientific, or practical, position in which one does not accept the veracity of claims until solid evidence is produced.

The following is a definition of scientific skepticism:

What does it mean to be a skeptic? Some people believe that skepticism is rejection of new ideas, or worse, they confuse skeptic with cynic and think that skeptics are a bunch of grumpy curmudgeons unwilling to accept any claim that challenges the status quo. This is wrong. Skepticism is a provisional approach to claims. It is the application of reason to any and all ideas?no sacred cows allowed. In other words, skepticism is a method, not a position. Ideally, skeptics do not go into an investigation closed to the possibility that a phenomenon might be real or that a claim might be true. When we say we are skeptical, we mean that we must see compelling evidence before we believe. Skeptics are from Missouri, the "show me" state. When we hear a fantastic claim we say, "that's nice, prove it."...Modern skepticism is embodied in the scientific method, that involves gathering data to formulate and test naturalistic explanations for natural phenomena. A claim becomes factual when it is confirmed to such an extent it would be reasonable to offer temporary agreement. But all facts in science are provisional and subject to challenge, and therefore skepticism is a method leading to provisional conclusions. Some claims, such as water dowsing, ESP, and creationism, have been tested (and failed the tests) often enough that we can provisionally conclude that they are not valid. Other claims, such as hypnosis, the origins of language, and black holes, have been tested but results are inconclusive so we must continue formulating and testing hypotheses and theories until we can reach a provisional conclusion." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_skepticism

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you fit the defenition, you just are skeptic and it doesn't matter what you call yourself. If you have a penis you are a male.

Edited by Annom (11/09/03 12:26 PM)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: "the skeptic" [Re: Annom]
    #2086500 - 11/09/03 12:28 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Phhh. What constitues "compelling evidence" varies from person to person.
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2086506 - 11/09/03 12:30 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

> my question to you is, why catagorize yourself? as if you are THAT much different than anypone else. as if everyone on this board is or isn't a skeptic.

Are Christians that much different than anyone else? Some people on this board are skeptic and some aren't skeptic, some are Christians and some are Muslims, some have brown eyes and some have blue eyes. It's just an easy way to tell something about yourself.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: "the skeptic" [Re: adrug]
    #2086529 - 11/09/03 12:43 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

"There's a fine line between being skeptical and being close minded. "

Believing in any kind of religion closes you off to all other possibilities.

Not believing anything does not.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: "the skeptic" [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2086531 - 11/09/03 12:44 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

"Phhh. What constitues "compelling evidence" varies from person to person. "

Some people are more gullible than others.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: "the skeptic" [Re: Phluck]
    #2086565 - 11/09/03 01:01 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I used to be a skeptic, but it ran its course.

I became so skeptical that I was skeptical of my skepticism. I traversed yang all the way back into yin.

A lot of skeptics forget the first rule of skepticsim: question everything. Even logic itself. Nothing is a given.

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: "the skeptic" [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2086575 - 11/09/03 01:06 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

:smile:  "I became so skeptical that I was skeptical of my skepticism. I traversed yang all the way back into yin."

If I become skeptical about my skepticism my brain hurts.... It's my "favorite" thought loop when tripping. 

OfflineDavid_Scape
Anti Genius
Male

Re: "the skeptic" [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2086582 - 11/09/03 01:13 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Questioning logic is fine. But I cant see its helpfullness. You just end up going around in circles or you just awe at the assumptions behind postulates.
I did that and im still a skeptic....?

--------------------
focusing
Flow
The Enneagram

Invisiblemuhurgle
Turtles all theway down

#2086587 - 11/09/03 01:20 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

If you're biased, you're not a skeptic. A skeptic adheres to the scientific method. If you claim something, then prove it. If your proof is good, then a skeptic will accept it.

Proof is not subjective. Proof is given by an easily reproducible experiment, with statistically conclusive results. That something is proven scientifically, does not mean that it's essentially true. It's just a statement that some theory fits some observations.

--------------------
"To make this mundane world sublime
Take half a gram of phanerothyme."

Aldous Huxley

OfflineZenGecko
enthusiast
Re: "the skeptic" [Re: muhurgle]
    #2088108 - 11/09/03 11:50 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

The trouble with many "skeptics" isnt that they are skeptical, its that they arent. Where some will believe in all sorts of stuff, for good reason or not, it doesnt really matter, many skeptics will flatly not believe those things. The problem is that if you refuse to believe, or you do believe then you arent being skeptical, forming a judgement either way is the mistake of many so called skeptics. A true skeptic is one that questions and forms no opinions, once a judgment is made one way or another, they can't be called a skeptic anymore in regards to whatever subject they have formed an opinion on. I think its best to be as skeptical as possible, but only if your a true skeptic. Ideally i think the truely enlightened person lets go of all value judgements, and opinions, or beliefs and just is, no bad, no good, no desire, no fear, just be.
Sincerely,
That which is, and has no choice but to be

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: "the skeptic" [Re: Phluck]
    #2088114 - 11/09/03 11:52 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
"There's a fine line between being skeptical and being close minded. "

Believing in any kind of religion closes you off to all other possibilities.

Not believing anything does not. 

I can't believe you're saying that. :wink:

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineZenGecko
enthusiast
Re: "the skeptic" [Re: silversoul7]
    #2088318 - 11/10/03 01:01 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

He's right, well kinda, if he meant something to the effect of "enlightenment, lies between belief and nonbelief"....but maybe i'm putting words into his mouth, and anyways by forming this opinion i have chipped away at whatever enlightenment i may have had, just as i've done with every other opinion, judgement, or belief i've made. Crap thats an opinion too!!!! Buddha save me!!! Damn ego.
Sincerely,
That which is, and has no choice but to be

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: "the skeptic" [Re: ZenGecko]
    #2088412 - 11/10/03 01:57 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

see here we are defining the skeptic.I guess I should have expressed myself a little better than three lines.  :smile: 

what I really mean is that while yeah we can do all this defining of a skeptic, we are not "just" the skeptic, rather we have skepticism.  it is a part of us, not all of us, or even a majority.  there's room for skepticism as well as there is room for faith.  scientific method doesn't explain everything properly and this should ring the little bells inside the head that one point of view won't always work.  so why call yourself "a skeptic" as if you operate at this point of view all the time??

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom