Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nibiru Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: no soak wbs prep [Re: taGyo] * 2
    #20864938 - 11/20/14 10:52 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

This is just my opinion, but I'm calling it like I see it.

There are really only 1 way people need to prepare WBS:

Soak, drain, PC a la FooMan's  tek.

Anything else is a waist of time. Long soak times for endospores and stuff is all myths based on misinterpretations of what's really going on. Soaking and simmering WBS is a notion derived from rye berry prep and is tricky for WBS for many people and is not nearly as easy as FooMan's.

Maybe, and only maybe, FooMan's WBS prep doesn't get the grains as hydrated as other methods. But, ask yourself this: How hydrated does the grain need to be? How much variation in water content in the WBS would it take to make a difference in yields?

I've prepped enough rye and WBS by now to see there is no difference in any of the methods except prep time, effort, and difficulty. You don't have to take my word for it, experiment and judge for yourself.

--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: no soak wbs prep [Re: SpitballJedi]
    #20864965 - 11/20/14 11:00 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I think it depends largely on the volume of grains you are running at once, and how scrupulous of a cultivator you are that are determining factors in which method of grain prep the individual cultivator chooses.

In the end though, I don't believe one form of grain prep deserves merit over the other.  Both methods have been tried and true.

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: no soak wbs prep [Re: hamloaf]
    #20864994 - 11/20/14 11:09 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Why does the volume of grains matter when deciding whether or not you use FooMan's?

I think a lot of people put their "scrupulousness" in the wrong places and I do think some prep methods deserve more merit over others.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Edited by SpitballJedi (11/20/14 11:09 AM)

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20865040 - 11/20/14 11:21 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
Why does the volume of grains matter when deciding whether or not you use FooMan's?

I think a lot of people put their "scrupulousness" in the wrong places and I do think some prep methods deserve more merit over others.

Isn't FooMan's tek the one where you fill the jars with grain, a cup of water then straight into the sterilizer?  I can't find it.  If so, I am not messing with all those jars when I need 60 gallons of sterilized grain spawn every week is how volume matters. 

What, and why do you think people put their "scrupulousness" in the wrong places??  Like what grain methods and how do you feel one grain prep method deserve more merit over the other??

Edited by liquidmyce (11/20/14 11:46 AM)

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: no soak wbs prep [Re: hamloaf] * 1
    #20865206 - 11/20/14 12:04 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

FooMan's is where you boil some water, remove from heat, pour in WBS, let soak 20 mins, drain, then PC.

I think some people put too much effort in to grain prep. FooMans method deserves merit over others because it is very efficient. People can certainly do whatever they are comfortable with and merit is very subjective and there are other methods that work fine.

I just think spending time and effort trying to get "perfect" hydration and "germinating" or "hydrating" endospores is are not needed. I think most people would be better off focusing on getting good cultures.

I suspect most people who have an opinion about the best way to prep grains have not tried FooMan's and the reason they soak and simmer is because that's what they were taught to do, they got it down, it works well for them, and so they stick with it. This is just fine. But, it doesn't mean it's just as meritorious as another; it just means that's what people are used to.

Again, if you want to soak and simmer, that's fine, it's not a bad practice, I just think it's a waste of time and effort because there is really no actual point in it. This is still just all my opinion as all merit awards are. But, my opinion is based on experience with multiple methods.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflinetaGyo
Strainiac/AMU
Male User Gallery

Loc: Journal Land Flag
    #20865335 - 11/20/14 12:37 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

6T WBS For Bulk
Easiest method there is.

--------------------
Gyo's Better Grows
TNF Q&A :rockon:
AMU Q&A

Dominus fortunae meae sum

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20865378 - 11/20/14 12:46 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
FooMan's is where you boil some water, remove from heat, pour in WBS, let soak 20 mins, drain, then PC.

I think some people put too much effort in to grain prep. FooMans method deserves merit over others because it is very efficient. People can certainly do whatever they are comfortable with and merit is very subjective and there are other methods that work fine.

I just think spending time and effort trying to get "perfect" hydration and "germinating" or "hydrating" endospores is are not needed. I think most people would be better off focusing on getting good cultures.

I suspect most people who have an opinion about the best way to prep grains have not tried FooMan's and the reason they soak and simmer is because that's what they were taught to do, they got it down, it works well for them, and so they stick with it. This is just fine. But, it doesn't mean it's just as meritorious as another; it just means that's what people are used to.

Again, if you want to soak and simmer, that's fine, it's not a bad practice, I just think it's a waste of time and effort because there is really no actual point in it. This is still just all my opinion as all merit awards are. But, my opinion is based on experience with multiple methods.

Well, my opinion is based on several years of experience using many different types of grain and prep methods, as well. 

After researching with various types of grain, and grain prep methods I have come to settle on a highly influenced by RR method of prepping grains, and my grains of choice are rye as pure Milo being a close second.

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: no soak wbs prep [Re: hamloaf]
    #20865475 - 11/20/14 01:10 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I used to do RR based rye prep too. It used to be the core of my method; I even did a whole write-up based on it: How I do Rye Berry Prep.

I go back and forth between rye and WBS. They both have their pros and cons. But, even when I use rye, I now use a FooMan based prep: Quick Rye

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #20865484 - 11/20/14 01:12 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
But, even when I use rye, I now use a FooMan based prep: Quick Rye

:bigyesnod:

I do almost the exact same thing

Offlinetio66
Capt.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colombia Flag
Re: no soak wbs prep [Re: HAL 9000]
    #20865760 - 11/20/14 02:09 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

what about the jelly parts? did you removed them?

OfflineDirdyD
 User Gallery

#27001312 - 10/24/20 01:58 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Serious question...

Only PC for 1 hour???  Not 90 min?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder