Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

Can psychedelic trips cure PTSD and other maladies?
    #20856413 - 11/18/14 03:14 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Can psychedelic trips cure PTSD and other maladies?

By Tom Shroder November 17

(AP)

After more than 30 years in which psychedelics were considered dangerous remnants of the 1960s, the drugs have begun to make a comeback, this time as potential remedies for a host of tough-to-treat maladies. Pilot studies and clinical trials of LSD, psilocybin, ketamine and MDMA have shown that the drugs, often in combination with talk therapy, can be given safely under medical supervision and may help people dealing with opiate and tobacco addiction, alcoholism, anxiety, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD.

That these investigations have shown potential is not surprising to many researchers. A generation of scientists and practitioners had used psychedelics successfully with thousands of patients until the research was banned in 1970, after the drugs were embraced by an exploding counterculture that seemed to threaten the status quo.

In the panicked reaction, psychedelics were listed along with heroin in the highest rungs of prohibition. Ironically, this failed to stop recreational use but it shut the science down cold. As one researcher put it, “It was as if psychedelic drugs had become undiscovered.”

Seizure of 300 stamps soaked in LSD. (AP/Carabinieri Press Office)

But a small cadre of psychiatrists and researchers, often risking careers and reputations, pushed to bring psychedelics back to the lab and the clinic. Their persistence paid off. Beginning in the 1990s, the Food and Drug Administration approved the first human clinical studies of psychedelic drugs in a quarter of a century. By 2004, the first FDA-approved trial of the medicinal use of a psychedelic drug, in this case a trial of MDMA-assisted therapy for PTSD involving 24 subjects, was underway. Now such studies are proliferating.

“For more than 30 years I have been working to make FDA approval of psychedelic psychotherapy more than a dream,” says Rick Doblin, founder and director of the nonprofit Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies. “Now that castle in the air has a foundation underneath it and is becoming an impending reality.”
How LSD began

The modern investigation of psychedelics began with the accidental discovery of the consciousness-altering properties of lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD was its German acronym) by Albert Hofmann, a chemist for a Swiss pharmaceutical firm. Hofmann had been looking for a compound that might stimulate circulation and respiration when he combined derivatives of rye fungus and ammonia. Initial animal testing turned up nothing of note, except a strange restiveness in the animals.

... read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/can-acid-trips-cure-ptsd-and-other-maladies/2014/11/17/3eaeb59a-5ded-11e4-8b9e-2ccdac31a031_story.html

--------------------
Carl Sagan - "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people."

---

Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

---

Brian Cox - "[One] problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
Re: Can psychedelic trips cure PTSD and other maladies? [Re: Simplepowa]
    #20856536 - 11/18/14 03:36 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

You know, despite the fact that I am one of the biggest raving fanatical people that can find almost any situation and I'll say "that'd be such a cool experience if psychedelics were added," no, I don't think they will cure mental diseases. Despite myself, I highly fucking doubt that psychedelics can cure people who are just fucking crazy. On top of that, I think to appreciate how psychedelics warp the mental aspect so you find a different perspective on existence just because you have to, because drugs make you question existence while they change your perception, I feel to really appreciate how they open your mind, you have to actually be seeking such an experience. Otherwise how would they change the way you look at everything?

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

OfflineFreeTheSoul
The wonderer.

Re: Can psychedelic trips cure PTSD and other maladies? [Re: imachavel] * 1
    #20856619 - 11/18/14 03:55 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

imachavel said:
You know, despite the fact that I am one of the biggest raving fanatical people that can find almost any situation and I'll say "that'd be such a cool experience if psychedelics were added," no, I don't think they will cure mental diseases. Despite myself, I highly fucking doubt that psychedelics can cure people who are just fucking crazy. On top of that, I think to appreciate how psychedelics warp the mental aspect so you find a different perspective on existence just because you have to, because drugs make you question existence while they change your perception, I feel to really appreciate how they open your mind, you have to actually be seeking such an experience. Otherwise how would they change the way you look at everything?

you answered your own question. You have to actually want to be cured to be cured. I know for 1000% sure MDMA therapy works wonders on ptsd, if you use it correctly.

Offlineilluminati
Strange
Male

Loc: Aboard the T.A.R.D.I.S.
Re: Can psychedelic trips cure PTSD and other maladies? [Re: FreeTheSoul]
    #20856787 - 11/18/14 04:38 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

FreeTheSoul said:
you answered your own question. You have to actually want to be cured to be cured. I know for 1000% sure MDMA therapy works wonders on ptsd, if you use it correctly.

I agree 100%.  The first time I took good ecstasy (luckily the first time I had it), it left a lasting impression for months.  I was able to look at just about any situation with a new perspective and deal with seemingly negative issues in my life with relative ease.

--------------------
I didn't get turned on I just got turned
I wasn't as aroused as I was concerned
for each one of 'em I've hurt
and every time I've been burned
I've got a lot to teach but even more to learn

InvisibleEastBayRay
 User Gallery
Re: Can psychedelic trips cure PTSD and other maladies? [Re: illuminati]
    #20857661 - 11/18/14 07:31 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

illuminati said:
Quote:

FreeTheSoul said:

I agree 100%.  The first time I took good ecstasy (luckily the first time I had it), it left a lasting impression for months.  I was able to look at just about any situation with a new perspective and deal with seemingly negative issues in my life with relative ease.

It did the same for me.  Then I tried to relive the experience and irresponsibly abused the substance and I suffered serotonin syndrome for close to a decade before it balanced out.  When abusing it, I did it under twenty times in a six month period (and never since) but some of those times I took way more than a recommended dose.  That being said, using responsibly can definitely treat PTSD.

OfflineHardTrippin
The Ambivalent
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Can psychedelic trips cure PTSD and other maladies? [Re: imachavel] * 1
    #20857861 - 11/18/14 08:22 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

imachavel said:

When I experienced life-changing ego death on LSD it was because I took a huge dose recreationally and literally stumbled upon the experience. It changed my personality for the better. I didn't have to seek it. In fact, I keep trying to have the same experience but have had no luck.

OfflineGorlax
Male

Re: Can psychedelic trips cure PTSD and other maladies? [Re: HardTrippin]
    #20857996 - 11/18/14 08:53 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I think I got PTSD from taking shrooms in vegas last weekend lmfao :dawerp:

OfflineSynapse Trap
Eating God's Holy Cannabis Plant
 User Gallery

Re: Can psychedelic trips cure PTSD and other maladies? [Re: imachavel]
    #20858466 - 11/18/14 11:00 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

imachavel said:

I have something to add here about regeneration of the hippicampal region of the brain and psilocybin's ability to affect the pre-conditioned
fear associated with PTSD due to the hippocampus being unable to regulate stress/anxiety fear etc.. but im on my iphone.. so this post will be my reminder to come finish my thoughts when i can type.. meh..

--------------------
Synapse Trap

:flyhigh:

OfflineSleepAid
me gusta
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Can psychedelic trips cure PTSD and other maladies? [Re: Synapse Trap]
    #20859813 - 11/19/14 11:13 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Synapse Trap said:
Quote:

imachavel said:

I have something to add here about regeneration of the hippicampal region of the brain and psilocybin's ability to affect the pre-conditioned
fear associated with PTSD due to the hippocampus being unable to regulate stress/anxiety fear etc.. but im on my iphone.. so this post will be my reminder to come finish my thoughts when i can type.. meh..

I want to read this, following

--------------------
Signature this, ho

OfflineSynapse Trap
 User Gallery

Re: Can psychedelic trips cure PTSD and other maladies? [Re: SleepAid]
    #20862643 - 11/19/14 09:40 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I think there is more to it than just the MDMA assisted therapy, which I am also curious to know if it also may help heal the hippocampal region as psilocybin is suspected to do.

I believe psychedelics help to heal the human mind in many different ways, one of these, I hope is the regeneration of the hippocampus.

Here is a comparison of a non-PTSD hippocampus region vs. PTSD on the right:

And here is the abstract of the brain research from National Institute of Health's library

Exp Brain Res. 2013 Aug;228(4):481-91. doi: 10.1007/s00221-013-3579-0. Epub 2013 Jun 2.

Effects of psilocybin on hippocampal neurogenesis and extinction of trace fear conditioning.

Catlow BJ1, Song S, Paredes DA, Kirstein CL, Sanchez-Ramos J.

Drugs that modulate serotonin (5-HT) synaptic concentrations impact neurogenesis and hippocampal (HPC)-dependent learning. The primary objective is to determine the extent to which psilocybin (PSOP) modulates neurogenesis and thereby affects acquisition and extinction of HPC-dependent trace fear conditioning. PSOP, the 5-HT2A agonist 25I-NBMeO and the 5-HT2A/C antagonist ketanserin were administered via an acute intraperitoneal injection to mice.

Trace fear conditioning was measured as the amount of time spent immobile in the presence of the conditioned stimulus (CS, auditory tone), trace (silent interval) and post-trace interval over 10 trials. Extinction was determined by the number of trials required to resume mobility during CS, trace and post-trace when the shock was not delivered. Neurogenesis was determined by unbiased counts of cells in the dentate gyrus of the HPC birth-dated with BrdU co-expressing a neuronal marker. Mice treated with a range of doses of PSOP acquired a robust conditioned fear response. Mice injected with low doses of PSOP extinguished cued fear conditioning significantly more rapidly than high-dose PSOP or saline-treated mice.

Injection of PSOP, 25I-NBMeO or ketanserin resulted in significant dose-dependent decreases in number of newborn neurons in hippocampus. At the low doses of PSOP that enhanced extinction, neurogenesis was not decreased, but rather tended toward an increase. Extinction of "fear conditioning" may be mediated by actions of the drugs at sites other than hippocampus such as the amygdala, which is known to mediate the perception of fear. Another caveat is that PSOP is not purely selective for 5-HT2A receptors. PSOP facilitates extinction of the classically conditioned fear response, and this, and similar agents, should be explored as potential treatments for post-traumatic stress disorder and related conditions.

Here is the .pdf version looks to be the whole shebang.

--------------------
Synapse Trap

OfflineSynapse Trap
 User Gallery

Re: Can psychedelic trips cure PTSD and other maladies? [Re: Synapse Trap]
    #20862694 - 11/19/14 09:51 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Man I can't understand this stuff..

Quote:

Given that low doses of
PSOP accelerated fear extinction, it is interesting to consider
whether PSOP is blunting the emotional component
of the fear memory which leads to rapid extinction. We
observed that all mice freeze in response to each presentation
of the shock during training and assume that for all
mice regardless of the treatment, fear is evoked. In human
studies, low doses of PSOP produce no differences in general
well-being, emotional excitability, anxiety-depressiveness,
plasma cortisol levels, heart rate, body temperature
and blood pressure (Hasler et al. 2004). Taken together,
we believe that the PSOP facilitation of fear extinction is
not likely due to blunted emotion but instead caused by
diminished neurogenesis and alterations in hippocampal
neurotransmission.
The molecular basis for creating the links between CS
and UCS in the trace conditioning paradigm is not completely
understood. Clearly, synaptic plasticity in the HPC
is critical for the acquisition of new associations (learning)
and recall of those associations (memory). Brain-derived
neurotrophic factor (BDNF) has been implicated in synaptic
plasticity and memory processing (Kang et al. 1997;
Pang et al. 2004; Tyler et al. 2002) through the modulation
of synapse formation and dendritic spine growth in

--------------------
Synapse Trap

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale