Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemontycantsin
Stranger
Re: the use of salt in fighting trich [Re: Hippie3]
    #12092938 - 02/25/10 12:34 AM (14 years, 25 days ago)

bump

Started my first bulk grow with four bucket o'fungi a la otto's tek. WBS 100% colonized with PE spawned to coir/verm/coffee/gyp (65/20/10/5)

Just a test run before throwing all my eggs into one giant monotub, (58qt sterlite,) which is colonizing quite nicely at this point, by the by. Make some serious mistakes and learn from them, you know? Best way to learn.

Anyhoo, of the four, I lost one pretty early on to trich, (couldn't help my curiosity peaking in to see how everything was coming along,) and I immediately threw the bucket out. In about a week, two more of my buckets succumbed to trich, but I decided to see if I couldn't fight the blasted mold instead of just giving up.

Found this salt technique and thought I was saved, and did some quick surgery and salted myself some wounds. While I was seeing if it worked, I found several cats talking about how trichoderma mycelium is white and the green that one sees in the mold sporulating. (I love how all of these mycology terms, firefox doesn't know. hehehe.)

From what I understood, by the time you see green, the mold has taken hold and you're fucked. And after about 30+ hours, I saw myself some sporulating trichoderma. Out of curiosity, I just through the buckets in my laundry room, which is no where near where any of my operations, and decided to come what may. (an important detail about this space is that it's where our house litter box is and we have three cats. The owner of the cats doesn't clean up after them very often. Not my cats, not my mess, not my problem. But the skinny is that this is far from the most sanitary of rooms. In fact, it's FUCKING DISGUSTING.)

Fast forward to about a month later, the last bucket I had has pinned and is making me cum in my pants a little every time I peak in to see its progress. Monotub is incubating, have myself a gallon of spawn and a PC full of pasteurized sub. Figure it's time to clean out my failed buckets and start another batch because, why the hell not? Has the spawn, sub, space, and time.

At some point, a roommate of mine stacked the buckets one in another, blocking any and all FAE for the bucket on the bottom. I pull the top one off, remove the shower cap and there is the notorious trich, thriving in the dank, darkness that was its home. Though, on the top bucket, there is an area of brown where I cut the trich out, but it's mostly white. Not really thinking about it, I dump the contents of both containers into a bag to throw it away.

Curiosity gets the best of me and I pick up what I feel is garbage to inspect it, maybe break it apart and see what I can't see when I notice mushrooms growing! Upon further inspection, there is a fuckton of side pinning, primordia, hyphal knots galore, and no green!

No misting, no fanning, natural indirect sunlight, and this shit STILL managed to survive. Now my baby's in my room and will get the delicious mist/fan treatment that it prolly craves so hard.

tl;dr

Had trich, cut out the green, salted the area, misted heavily, and threw the bucket into an extremely unsanitary room, (with great FAE,) and neglected it for a month and my PE cubensis kicked it's ass and is within a week of harvest.

Many thanks to OP, and good luck to all those battling the green death. Despite the naysayers out there, I am pretty convinced that the salting tek holds some water. One thing I don't think can be reiterated enough is that trich can not survive with FAE. It needs stale and moist environment. Starve it of that and hopefully, your mushies will stand a chance to grow.

Hope my experience helps.

edit: Pulled the sub out to harvest the mutant side blobWonder s, (hurray PE!) that were my first flush and on the top, which was resting on the bottom of the bucket as I flipped it to accommodate the side pinning, was thriving with trich. Still more pins and blobs growing. Wonder how much longer my mycelium will last.

In the end, I didn't kill trich, but I deterred it enough to get a small harvest. Somethin's better than nothing, no?

Edited by montycantsin (03/04/10 08:00 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineninjaneo
n00b

Re: The use of salt in fighting trichoderma mold [Re: Hippie3]
    #12098169 - 02/25/10 08:15 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

btw, i know this idea isn't original, but i'm wondering why it's recieved so little attention. i found a few posts like from 2 years ago mentioning its' use but seems like everyone just sez 'toss it out' instead of listening to what the guy was saying.

Yeah, I agree, this sounds very interesting, and worth a shot... I've been IRC'ing for weeks and the only "option" presented there has been "throw it out".

OfflineHofmann1943
explorer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Forest
Re: The use of salt in fighting trichoderma mold [Re: ninjaneo]
    #12101801 - 02/26/10 12:28 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

so  what you just put salt on the trichoderma or what?
what salt? Sea salt or something else???

--------------------
By Albert Hofmann :
Been cautious man, I though I would start with a smallest, smallest quantity. Namely I started with 0.25mg.....and my intention was to increase dosage to see if something will happened.
That very small dosage, the first dose of my experiments i planed, was very very strong.

OfflineHofmann1943
explorer
Male User Gallery

Re: The use of salt in fighting trichoderma mold [Re: Hofmann1943]
    #12102077 - 02/26/10 01:11 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

sorry didn't see there's 4 pages
salt hey I give it a try, have some sea salt right here and some trich also :smile:

--------------------
By Albert Hofmann :
Been cautious man, I though I would start with a smallest, smallest quantity. Namely I started with 0.25mg.....and my intention was to increase dosage to see if something will happened.
That very small dosage, the first dose of my experiments i planed, was very very strong.

InvisibleBlueDruid
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: The use of salt in fighting trichoderma mold [Re: Hofmann1943]
    #13951786 - 02/12/11 03:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I see an interesting early post
Quote:

Whiterasta said:

I simply case with 50/50 peat/cat litter w/baking soda(I rinse the litter clear then add peat)since going to this formula I have NO trich what-so-ever :wink:
PS the litter is made by Oil-Dri corp(google it baby!) and is a Si/Ca, w/trace Mg expanded clay with NaHCO2.I wash till clear and add Ascorbic acid till Ph7 and then mix with peat moss.IMHO it is the Sodium which inhibits trich which is why it seems the Sodium Ascorbate works so well.
PS this also seems to inhibit bluing in the fruits.WR

Baking soda is Sodium Bicarbonate, table salt Sodium Chloride. Is there a particular proprty of sodium (in different forms) to inhibit or kill off trich.
Has anyone else used any forms of sodium as an additive to bulk grows to discourage Trich? It doesn't sound like table salt would work for this as it'd kill off the mycellium but I'm interested in the feasability of using other forms of sodium to discourage Trich growth.

Offline3n1gm4
3N!9M4T!C
 User Gallery

Loc: The Downside of Up
Re: The use of salt in fighting trichoderma mold [Re: BlueDruid]
    #14084032 - 03/07/11 10:09 PM (13 years, 15 days ago)

Hope I never have to try it.

--------------------
http://www.shroomery.org/6257/Magic-Mushroom-Dosage-CalculatorLOL when you zoom in to try to read my sig pics you will get lost in the crystal forrest of ghanni!

Offlinemaitai
Stranger
Re: The use of salt in fighting trichoderma mold [Re: 3n1gm4]
    #14311114 - 04/18/11 09:39 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Hello all... I am a newb at this so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I read the entire thread because so far 4/6 of my pf tek BRF jars have got green in them (about 2 weeks after inoculation). This is quite disheartening for me. I'd like to be able to save them if I can but is the salt tek purely for cakes AFTER they have been birthed?

From my understanding I can't "cut away" the moldy parts while they are still in the jar, so they would have to be birthed and then cut out, and then... do I put them back into the jars?? Or just try to fruit them as-is?

Thank you all...

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: The use of salt in fighting trichoderma mold [Re: maitai]
    #14313864 - 04/18/11 09:02 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You can't cut away mold, and it does little good to salt it unless you're within a day or so of harvest.  Even then, I wouldn't.

If your jars are contaminated 2 weeks after inoculation, check your sterile procedure as far as wiping down with alcohol, use of glovebox, flame sterilize the needle until red hot, etc.

RIP to the original poster.  It seems strange to see the name hippie3 pop on screen again.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offline3n1gm4
3N!9M4T!C
 User Gallery

Loc: The Downside of Up
Re: The use of salt in fighting trichoderma mold [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #14316220 - 04/19/11 09:15 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
You can't cut away mold, and it does little good to salt it unless you're within a day or so of harvest.  Even then, I wouldn't.

If your jars are contaminated 2 weeks after inoculation, check your sterile procedure as far as wiping down with alcohol, use of glovebox, flame sterilize the needle until red hot, etc.

RIP to the original poster.  It seems strange to see the name hippie3 pop on screen again.
RR

If you have seen trich before and know what it looks like in its dormant state before it turns green, is it possible to cut it away before it spreads or releases spores and then salt the wound?

--------------------
http://www.shroomery.org/6257/Magic-Mushroom-Dosage-CalculatorLOL when you zoom in to try to read my sig pics you will get lost in the crystal forrest of ghanni!

OfflineHofmann1943
explorer
Male User Gallery

Re: The use of salt in fighting trichoderma mold [Re: 3n1gm4]
    #14321648 - 04/20/11 06:17 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

this could work.

--------------------
By Albert Hofmann :

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: the use of salt in fighting trich [Re: montycantsin]
    #14322986 - 04/20/11 01:11 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

montycantsin said:
Pulled the sub out to harvest the mutant side blobWonder s, (hurray PE!) that were my first flush and on the top, which was resting on the bottom of the bucket as I flipped it to accommodate the side pinning, was thriving with trich. Still more pins and blobs growing. Wonder how much longer my mycelium will last.

In the end, I didn't kill trich, but I deterred it enough to get a small harvest. Somethin's better than nothing, no?

And you disappeared two weeks later, never to be heard from again.  Undoubtedly all those trich spores ruined your place for ever growing again. 

Boys and girls, this is EXACTLY why one should toss out contaminated substrates on sight.  Don't try to cut the mold out, don't salt it don't do anything but get it outside if you ever plan on growing in that house again.  There may be trich spores in the air everywhere, but not in the huge quantities you'll get from leaving a trich infested substrate indoors.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinememberjockey
Travelling w/out moving
Female User Gallery

Loc: Deep South
Re: the use of salt in fighting trich [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #15568291 - 12/24/11 07:36 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Can you give the tub some fresh air to keep it from getting contaminated if you think it may be too wet?  also does this look like it's infected too?

--------------------

OfflineHofmann1943
explorer
Male User Gallery

Re: the use of salt in fighting trich [Re: memberjockey]
    #15797270 - 02/12/12 12:09 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

memberjockey said:
Can you give the tub some fresh air to keep it from getting contaminated if you think it may be too wet?  also does this look like it's infected too?

Highjacker :smile:

yes and yes

--------------------
By Albert Hofmann :

Offlinepigshit
Stranger

Re: the use of salt in fighting trich [Re: Hofmann1943]
    #15861680 - 02/25/12 12:41 PM (12 years, 25 days ago)

So thers no cuming back from trIch

OfflineBurleyPsila
EnthoMyco-Botany
Male User Gallery

Loc: AUS Flag
Re: The use of salt in fighting trichoderma mold [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #20830271 - 11/13/14 03:07 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Is this post still alive? Guessing if someone replies... We may have a new trichoderma elimination breakthrough!!
I am having a lil bit of trouble..

Offlinetokeweed420
 User Gallery

Loc: north of 60
Re: The use of salt in fighting trichoderma mold [Re: BurleyPsila]
    #20832198 - 11/13/14 01:43 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

u have a better chance of finding the cure for aids :chalkup:

--------------------
:volcano:  :volcano2:

OfflineBurleyPsila
EnthoMyco-Botany
Male User Gallery

Loc: AUS Flag
Re: The use of salt in fighting trichoderma mold [Re: tokeweed420]
    #20844028 - 11/16/14 04:23 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

tokeweed420 said:
u have a better chance of finding the cure for aids :chalkup:

Hah! good one..

Have you had any experience on eliminating trich?

InvisibleTheEaglesGift
The Nagual

Loc: Ixtlan, Mexico
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The use of salt in fighting trichoderma mold [Re: BurleyPsila]
    #20848733 - 11/17/14 01:07 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

You're better off focusing your energies into PREVENTION.

OfflineMQover
Stranger
Re: The use of salt in fighting trichoderma mold [Re: TheEaglesGift]
    #25419490 - 08/28/18 03:17 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Hello,

How do you use salt to fight trichoderma? What should be the amount of salt (g) in 1 liter of water to make the concentration safe for mycelium, but destroy trichoderma?

OfflineWing
The Eye Tyrant
Male User Gallery

Re: The use of salt in fighting trichoderma mold [Re: MQover]
    #25422354 - 08/29/18 07:24 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

MQover said:
Hello,

How do you use salt to fight trichoderma? What should be the amount of salt (g) in 1 liter of water to make the concentration safe for mycelium, but destroy trichoderma?

You dont use salt. It doesn't work. The only way to get rid of Trich from your grow is to throw it in the trash outside

--------------------
My Old Grow Logs

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate