Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Oyster Shell, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Filter substitute?
    #2084415 - 11/08/03 05:31 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

My friend ordered some synthetic filter disks from myco supply. However, he needs to start a batch right now because he'll need to abandon his shrooms in about 5 weeks. So he was wondering, for a popcorn grain substrate, would a Tyvek filter work instead of a filter disk for now? The jars are goign to be incubated in a watercooler with fishtank heater at 85 degrees, H2O2 in the water and the walls beforehand to help sterilize. Pint jars. Only planning on opening the coolor maybe 5 or 6 times during the 2 weeks to get some fresh oxygen in there and check on colonization, and of course to shake. He's already got the cooler calibrated so it will stay at 85 degrees.

Should he sterilize with a bleach solution before hand? Or could this cause extra complications? Let me know if it would be better than just H2O2...so I can tell my friend what you guys think.

This is his first attempt beyond brf cakes. He decided his first set of cakes were successful enough that he'd bypass doing more cakes and casing them, and instead just try some grains and case them. He's never cased before but he'll tackle that once his substrate is colonized.

One more question...the cooler will be at 100% humidity, because he's using warm water to maintain the temperature. Is this a problem for colonization?

OK that's it guys, thanks for the help. My friend says thanks that is.

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Re: Filter substitute? [Re: jong21]
    #2084454 - 11/08/03 05:46 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

Also, my friend has 3 strains to choose from, India Orisa, Ecuador, and South African Transkei. Which do you recommend for first try with grain? He was thinking ecuador...yes/no? Thanks.

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

InvisibleShamanorrhea
Stranger
    #2084478 - 11/08/03 05:57 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

Yes, you can use a tyvek filter instead of a filter disk. In fact, most people here recommend using them. Bleach is a very nasty, inorganic chemical. If you wanted to disinfect the incubator from contaminants I would just do a daily spray down of the inside with a dilute peroxide solution. Excess humidity could be a problem since the optimum humidity for colonization is 90% RH. Finally, I would have to go with Ecuador myself.

Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Re: Filter substitute? [Re: Shamanorrhea]
    #2085124 - 11/08/03 10:08 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

I don't want to make too many meaningless posts, so I'm going to add one more question here. I'm going to use the 50/50+ casing tek. I got this one (only one at home depot):

Bandini Oyster Shell AG Lime

The only thing I was confused about was the "AG Lime". What does that mean, does that mean it won't work, or is it no big deal? Or do I have to change the relative quantity because of it? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

--------------------

Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

#2085132 - 11/08/03 10:11 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

If you guys care about the analysis on the back, Calcium (Ca) .... 36%
Calcium Carbonate Equivalent ..... 92%

--------------------

Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

#2085844 - 11/09/03 04:20 AM (13 years, 29 days ago)

Anyone know??

--------------------

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #2086739 - 11/09/03 04:55 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

AG Lime means agricultural lime .
looks like good stuff .
check ingredients to see if anything else is added other then oyster shell .
if it is really finely ground powder you may want to use a little less then 10%, or go to the pet store and get some ph test strips .

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Oyster Shell, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation