Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineZenGecko
enthusiast
Satori,,conversion experiences(please post)
    #2079856 - 11/07/03 03:52 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

How bout posting any experiences you've had that you feel qualify as a genuine enlightenment experience or conversion. Please include any insights derived from the experiences if you can verbalize them, any after effects on personality and how you relate to others and live in the world. Any perceptial changes, visual, auditory, Temporaly(time perception) ect... persistant or temporary. Try to be as detailed about how the experience itself actually felt as possible. I need sleep so i'll include my own accounts later. Please try not to judge or be negative about other's experiences openly in this thread, but feel free to offer constructive and sincere advice, especially meditation tricks or whatever that may have helped you reach an enlightenment state (temporary or otherwise). Also it might be helpful to include a short definiton of what you feel enlightenment is so that we can put your account into perspective...Ok Go!!!
Sincerely,
That which is, and has no choice but to be

Edited by ZenGecko (11/07/03 03:59 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineZenGecko
enthusiast
Re: Satori,,conversion experiences(please post) [Re: ZenGecko]
    #2082915 - 11/08/03 12:55 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Nobody?

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2083286 - 11/08/03 06:18 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I could repost my experience but I think the best depiction would be in post "a friendly reminder" as it was much more fresh in my mind at the time.

here it is

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineLOBO
Vagabond

Loc: NY
    #2083318 - 11/08/03 06:43 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I think this is what you looking for

go here

--------------------

Offlinedastats
The Truth is Blinding
Loc: B.C.
Re: Satori,,conversion experiences(please post) [Re: LOBO]
    #2083332 - 11/08/03 06:51 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Satori, I read a book by John Lilly. He talks about it. Center of the cylone. Good book, I would recommend it.

I don't have a clue about satori. I wish I could get there. Seems so faraway. I can't get into any form of mediation. Unless I do it unaware. my mind is not yet prepared. If you can get there, awesome!!!

Peace

Jater

--------------------
Peace all.

Jater

Offlineangryjslice
now with 20%more anger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Satori,,conversion experiences(please post) [Re: dastats]
    #2083759 - 11/08/03 11:23 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i dont know that satori and enlightenment are the same things.  from my understanding satori is just having a totally emtpy mind.  ive felt this many times.  sitting and watching a waterfall, and suddenly i realise i have had no thoughts for the past 20 minutes, i was totally enveloped in the experience of watching something so beautifull. i generally can get to this state whenever i am around water for some reason.  enlightenment for me is something totally different than satori.  satori is a temporary enlightenment in my mind.  i have felt enlightenment, but it doesnt stay.  some day it will :grin:

read "way of the peacfull warrior" by dan millman  absolutely fantastic book, and an easy read...changed my life completly.

~JSlice~

--------------------

OfflineSlapnutRob
Toolhead

Loc: Michigan
Re: Satori,,conversion experiences(please post) [Re: angryjslice]
    #2084942 - 11/08/03 07:19 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I thought satori was like an epiphany.... an incredible spiritual experience that changes the way you think. That's how it was described in a book I read about Bruce Lee's philosophy.

--------------------
Anything stated above is fictional roleplay dialog by the character that is Slapnut Rob, in no way representing the actions or beliefs of the man behind the keys.

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: Satori,,conversion experiences(please post) [Re: SlapnutRob] * 1
    #2085599 - 11/08/03 11:36 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Walking through my dark basement, I walked into a table, stubbing my toe, and I let out a loud "FUCK!"

Then I realized life was pain

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineZenGecko
enthusiast
Re: Satori,,conversion experiences(please post) [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2085727 - 11/09/03 01:10 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

In Zen Satori is generally considered a deep enlightenment experience, and Kensho is usually considered to be a more shallow enlightenment experience, but often the terms are used interchangeably. The deeper the enlightenment ofcourse the more profound the effects, but in 99.9% of cases, while you may technically have had satori or kensho, it will take continued practice to cultivate it and for it to come through in everything you do and are. Atleast that seems to be the general consenses from my readings on Zen and such.
Sincerely,

OfflineZenGecko
enthusiast
    #2085739 - 11/09/03 01:19 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

oh yah.. No the stuff in that post wasnt exactly what i was looking for. I'm looking for detailed accounts of religious conversion or enlightenment experiences,(some of those may or may not qualify, but either way the details i am looking for were generally lacking) including the details i outlined in my orignial post. But thanks, it was an interesting thread.
Sincerely,

Offlinetrevorr
Stranger
    #17410411 - 12/18/12 01:16 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

before i even knew what samadhi or satori was i posted my experience trying to seek a diagnosis , i only knew to call it 'ego death'

However cliche some of you might think this is, I wanted to get my experience out on the web for others that have had similar experiences to give me feedback since it's difficult for my friends to really understand what happened to me on my birthday this past year on December 31st, New Year's Eve, in Dallas, TX. This was my second time being in Dallas EVER, and I live in TX. I wouldn't mind never going back. People in Dallas are fraudulent. Anyways,

We went to a big rave called LightsAllNight, featuring many big names, Tiesto among them. I had a total of 4 (ketamine-based) ecstasy tabs to take and 2 foxy (5-meo-dipt) tabs. LAN was a two night event, a Friday and a Saturday, and my EGO DEATH experience occurred after the first night of LAN. I didn't trust the ketamine-based tabs too much because of the way they looked so I started by Friday night off popping one foxy tab (which made me have to puke in the bathroom about 30 minutes later, but boy was i rolling off of just 1!!)

Time goes by and i decide to pop two of my ketamine tabs because they were shittier, and LORD BEHOLD, I didn't feel like dancing or moving. I just wanted to sit down on the sides and make friends with people that were feeling the same way that I was.

(LightsAllNight was in December, I probably hadn't taken ecstasy in 2-3 months prior to taking it at this event. I didn't sweat much because i didn't really even feel like moving)

The first night is coming to an end and I'm talking to my friend Crazy Dave who is 15 years older than myself (it was my 21st birthday) on the way to my hotel room and we start getting on some interesting conversations about how "I" am "You" and we are "Eachother". You know, trippy deep stuff.

Well we (Me, Dave, and two of my best friends) decide to hit up the afterparty at this club Insomnia in Dallas which is a stripclub until 4 in the morning and then it turns into an electro-house-music-playing raver club. I had just popped my last (6th) tab 30 minutes before I walked in with Dave who is about 6'5 240~, and have a vivid dejavu moment of the scene from when I tripped on a heavy dose of cubes in Amsterdam over the summer. I remember seeing this place (or, the feng shui it had; neon colors, two stories, girls dancing.) with my eyes closed during my trip and it was one of the few vivid things i remember seeing during that particular trip. Imagine walking into the doors of a club, lights off, black light and neon everywhere, people dancing and welcoming you to the party...its the exact feeling i had in Amsterdam. I turned around to Dave and said, "De ja vu man".

Now, from this point, I'm not sure what triggered my episode, but from what I can remember, I started thinking about infinity and how my mushroom trip was somehow related to this event and that I saw this place 5 months earlier whilest having closed-eye visuals but i didnt think much of it at the time or know really what I was looking at. From my friend Dave's perspective, I turned around and started talking about infinity, and how anything was possible. This cute girl walked by and i shouted, 'hey!' at her. She looked over with a surprising smile and I said, "See, Dave?" Needless to say he didn't know how far I was about to take it.

I'll start this part from my perspective: After I told Dave about infinity, I kept saying how anything was possible, anything was possible. And for me, at that moment, anything was possible. I went to the nearest couple, a hot asian and her huge boyfriend (i weigh 145, im not a fighter to say the least), grab his girl's ass and attempt to kiss her. In my world, a crazy dream-like state, I did kiss her. Her boyfriend objected to it but I told him that I was sorry and everything was cool (still in my reality). He told me that I was in infinity, and that I was the messiah. He reminded me of how strange it was, being in infinity.

What's weird is that everything was normal looking. The guy's voice was his voice. It was like the most vivid dream you could ever imagine. I know this sounds cliche too, but I was experiencing time but in a very strange, slow, non-linear kind of way.

After I was done with that couple, I remember being pulled or 'dragged' to another girl and then another and just being able to kiss, talk to them, have sex with them, anything I wanted. And everyone I talked to kept telling me that I was the messiah.

Then, all of a sudden everything around me turns white and i feel like half of my body is being disintigrated into WHITE light. I feel like I'm literally melting into white. Then, like an alarm clock going off during an intense dream, all I remember is waking up with some fat cops over me, shaking me by my neck outside the club telling me that I was really fucked up. I 'woke up' thinking that I was in the hospital, or that I had just died, or almost died, but the feeling of being the messiah was still there. I immediately apologized, cops still over me, as soon as i kind of realized what was going on. I'm never in a situation that have cops involved but now i'm the center of attention outside the club, in&out of dream world, screaming: "GOD! IM GOD! SOMEONE FUCK ME PLEASE!!" ... yeah, I know.

What had really happened was after I went to kiss the hot asian girl, her boyfriend got pissed and wanted to hit me but I wasn't consciously there. I went to this random guy and pushed him, then went up to others and started pushing random people in a wild rampage. Apparently when the first security guard (bouncer) came up, I hit him in the face and that's why my buddy Dave said that he couldn't grab me.

After I 'awoke' and was able to stand up, the cops nicely walked me over to the cab and put me in the cab to go home. At this point, I still think Im the messiah and I'm wondering why the cops dont want the messiah at the party. I get in the cab, confused about what I am or what just happened, still in dream world, and tell the cab driver to drive me 6 hours south to my mouse instead of 10 minutes down the road to the hotel. He stops about 5 minutes into the drive and is like "this is really far are you sure u want to go here?" ,"Yes," I told him, and I gave him the rest of the cash in my walletf to drive to near the Gulf of Mexico from Dallas. After I give the cab driver my money, I get a call from my friend Jake and I told him where i was going. He told me that I wasnt thinking straight and that i had to go back to the hotel. I didnt really know fully what had happened but i knew i couldnt make it to the hotel so i got the cab driver to drop me back off at the club. I get out of the cab at the club and my friend jake's running at me, screaming 'you're about to get tazed! TREVOR YOU'RE ABOUT TO GET TAZED!' Sure enough, two cops with their hands on their tazers were walking up to me. So I ran back into the cab and got my friend jake to ride with me to the hotel. Of course he didn't believe me that I gave the cab driver 120 dollars, so he ended up paying an extra 40 when we got to the hotel. I slept it off that night, but stayed up asking the same questions over and over. Lack of serotonin perhaps.

About a month ago I went back to Dallas because a colleague of mine used to live up there and was big into the rave scene and knew people who could score us some free drugs. We went to that same Insomnia club, though i was kinda skeptical.

About an hour into my roll the second time at Insomnia, I sit next to this couple and start conversing with the guy. I told him what happened to me last time i was there. He told me that he was there and he was the first person i went over and pushed. He told me that i had a crazy look on my face. He said he went to grab the security guards and when they picked me up and were dragging me out of the club, my eyes were closed and i was just smiling. This is probably the sensation that caused me to feel like i was floating in the air, dissolving into white light. He got up, we shook hands, he asked me my name, Trevor, which happened to be his name too.

I've never experienced or even knew that such a vivid and real, but hallucinatory, experience was possible. Thought I'd share. What're your thoughts? Would you call what i experienced true 'ego death'? I felt like I had the choice to die, but I decided to come back. I didnt take an overly excessive amount of ecstasy (ive taken more and been a whole lot more intoxicated). Is there a message being sent? Am I doing something wrong, right? Am I just a bipolar schizophrenic like half the people on this planet? What do you think triggered my episode? Feedback would be awesome ,thank you guys in advance

Invisibletribesman
Never satisfied
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down by the river
    #17410815 - 12/18/12 06:18 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

"Beyond even conceiving a place beyond which you can go beyond."

This quote from Be Here Now by Ram Dass is the best way to describe in language, my experience of satori. I was advised that it was a satori state, however this was a word I hadn't heard before that day. I would definitely call it ego death, or ego suspension, but it is difficult to differentiate, even now, where I stopped and the universe began. This meant that as my ego shut down it felt like the whole universe including the thing I call self shut down too, leaving me with the impression that the whole universe was part of the ego. I wrote this during the experience, though I must now add a disclaimer; I cannot objectively prove the existence of the soul, and that being so, I cannot substantiate the following statement. :shrug:

"Every breath is like an anchor cast from the soul into time, in order to find a duration or temporal dimension to reflect on its own creation, purpose and within each breath, the skeletal shadow of the self is fortified, to become an finite inverse projection of the soul" ~ Brainstem

Here is the thread I made afterwards;

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15394987#15394987

--------------------
" No permanence is ours; we are a wave
That flows to fit whatever form it finds:
Through night or day, cathedral or the cave
We pass forever, craving form that binds."

~ Hermann Hesse, The Glass Bead Game

OfflineRool Kat
Rutabga
Male User Gallery

Re: Satori,,conversion experiences(please post) [Re: tribesman] * 2
    #17418016 - 12/19/12 05:01 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I had what I consider a moment of Satori one night in Pleiku, in the highlands of Vietnam during the war (November, 1967.)

I was in a hallway with only one exit, and an armed and enraged man was pointing a .32 Browning Automatic at me, and informing me that I was a dead man, and then he started shooting.

He was between me and the only exit, and it definitely did look to me that the end had come.  At that moment, the moment that I accepted the fact that I was, in fact, a dead man; I was struck by an overwhelming sense of relief!  The thought "Dead men have no worries" hit me like a ton of bricks, and the terror that had possessed me in the previous moment was completely gone.

In fact, I did get shot up rather badly, but it was worth it, from that moment to this one, I have never felt fear of anything since.

Life-changing experience?  Yep, that was one, for sure.

Offlineyeah
Male User Gallery

Re: Satori,,conversion experiences(please post) [Re: Rool Kat]
    #17419730 - 12/19/12 10:44 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Rool Kat said:
I had what I consider a moment of Satori one night in Pleiku, in the highlands of Vietnam during the war (November, 1967.)

I was in a hallway with only one exit, and an armed and enraged man was pointing a .32 Browning Automatic at me, and informing me that I was a dead man, and then he started shooting.

He was between me and the only exit, and it definitely did look to me that the end had come.  At that moment, the moment that I accepted the fact that I was, in fact, a dead man; I was struck by an overwhelming sense of relief!  The thought "Dead men have no worries" hit me like a ton of bricks, and the terror that had possessed me in the previous moment was completely gone.

In fact, I did get shot up rather badly, but it was worth it, from that moment to this one, I have never felt fear of anything since.

Damn. Anything else since then?

--------------------

Invisibletribesman
Never satisfied
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down by the river
Re: Satori,,conversion experiences(please post) [Re: Rool Kat]
    #17420378 - 12/20/12 02:29 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

That's an amazing story :eek:, and I think you're right; when you are forced to face death square in the eyes, when denial and evasion no are no longer viable, a state of acceptance and then relief follow. At the point I felt I 'died', a beaming grin forced itself on my face. This was strange as moments before I had thought I was about to die.

OfflineRool Kat
Rutabga
Male User Gallery

Re: Satori,,conversion experiences(please post) [Re: yeah]
    #17421097 - 12/20/12 08:54 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

yeah said:
Quote:

Rool Kat said:

Damn. Anything else since then?

Nope.  I learned to duck, that's about it.  (That came in handy over the next four years...)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder