Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
Offlineguitarmon
musician

Re: interdimensional/interstellar travel via psychedelics? [Re: Swami]
    #2096937 - 11/12/03 11:43 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
How many new technologies came from M.I.T. or BellLabs or Stanford as compared to Woodstock, Greatful Dead concerts or Burning Man?

Perhaps its just a tad naive to assume that psychedelics were not consumed at M.I.T, BellLabs, and Stanford. But I could be mistaken. :wink: LOL   

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: interdimensional/interstellar travel via psychedelics? [Re: guitarmon]
    #2099831 - 11/13/03 12:40 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Actually, guitarmon... my point was that psychedelics, by themselves, cannot lead one to anything. Dr. Mullis wasn't some jerkoff looking for a good time. He had YEARS of knowledge and experience... his LSD experience (apparently the realization took hold while he was driving down some winding mountain road) only helped him defragment and put the pieces to the puzzle together. That's all. There was no new information... just a different perspective.

Okay, now that that's out of the way... want to tell me just how you got your PhD in Intersteller Transportation?

The launching pad is just as critical as the rocket fuel.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2099861 - 11/13/03 12:52 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Perhaps its just a tad naive to assume that psychedelics were not consumed at M.I.T, BellLabs, and Stanford. But I could be mistaken.

And you are! It is truly naive to "read" statements that were never made and assume facts not in evidence.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #2099891 - 11/13/03 01:08 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Swami... isn't it a tad naive to assume that Dubya isn't actually helping to make the world a better place under the illusion of "war" and his NeoCon "ulterior motives"?
I mean, come on. [/Jimmy from South Park]

*shovel shovel*
Man, this shit is heavy!
*shovel shovel*

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Offlineguitarmon
musician

Re: interdimensional/interstellar travel via psychedelics? [Re: Sclorch]
    #2101065 - 11/13/03 09:58 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Sclorch - Exactly! Its all about getting new perspectives!

Education is wonderful, but don't give too much importance to PHD titles and the Academic 'establishment'.  Einstein worked as a Patent Clerk when he came up with his theory of relativity. He wasn't embraced by the 'academic establishment' until afterwards.

Swami - LOL :wink: Don't be sore because your arguments got ripped to shreds. No matter how clever you are (or think you are), there will alway be someone just a little bit sharper just around the corner.

Consider me your source of 'digital shrooms' ... I can diminish your overinflated ego for you.  *POP*  There you go, your welcome.

LOL  :wink:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2101144 - 11/13/03 10:20 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Education is wonderful, but don't give too much importance to PHD titles and the Academic 'establishment'. Einstein worked as a Patent Clerk when he came up with his theory of relativity. He wasn't embraced by the 'academic establishment' until afterwards.

Swami - LOL Don't be sore because your arguments got ripped to shreds.

How can I be sore when you have publicly exposed your ignorance of logic in one post after another? Here you give the anecdote ( a logical fallacy) of Einstein (a sample size of one) as some sort of a case against formal education. Sorry, but I do not have the time or space to list the millions of people who were able to contribute enormously to society because of their advanced degrees.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlineguitarmon
musician

#2101191 - 11/13/03 10:32 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Swami,

Sorry, I can't help it if you 'don't get it'. Thats your problem. But alas, your lack of imagination and bloated ego have become tiresome.

Do us all a favor and fade into the background for a bit ... let some other folks express their viewpoints and feeling for a change. Its not all about you, you, you. Take some shrooms and diminish that ego of yours.

Offlineguitarmon
musician

#2128009 - 11/21/03 05:43 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Here is a little write up about 'altered states & parallel universes' that I stumbled upon recently.

This is not any kind of 'proof' obviously, just another viewpoint that I find interesting. Anyways ... give it a look ...

http://www.zoe7.com/Zalteredstates.htm

Offlinejiva
dream serpent

Loc: everywhere all the time
    #2128181 - 11/21/03 06:55 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Here is another related subject...

http://www.deoxy.org/inc2.htm

--------------------
i am another you

Offlineguitarmon
musician

Re: interdimensional/interstellar travel via psychedelics? [Re: jiva]
    #2128995 - 11/22/03 10:53 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

thanks for the link jiva, facisnating.

LOL :wink:

Anonymous

#2129004 - 11/22/03 11:09 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Swami - LOL Where's all your scientic evidence to prove me wrong? Nothing yet? Right, I thought so. Perhaps you're *cough* argument *cough* is not as strong as you thought. If you want to believe in toenails and Cap'n'Crunch, so be it. It matters not to me. My 'theory' remains 'innocent' until proven 'guilty'. I rest my case. LOL

you aren't familiar with the idea of burden of proof, are you? if you make a claim, it is up to you to support it, not others to prove it as false. this is exactly the point of swami's capncrunch example... you simply cannot just make an outrageous claim and say that it's "innocent until proven guilty"... you must prove it.

philosophical or logical theorems, scientific theories, and rational ideas are not "innocent until proven guilty". that's ridiculous.

people have been using psychedelics for thousands of thousands of years. not once has anything about the cosmos been discovered as a result. we have learned a great deal about the universe and our own solar system from telescopes, space probes, and by applying the laws of physics in the science we call astronomy.

never has anything of the sort been reported from space travel on psychedelics, despite literally millions of trips.

there are a great many things one can learn from the entheogens. undiscovered data on distant planetary systems or stars is not one of them. if it were possible to travel the universe by tripping, it would be.

Offlineguitarmon
musician

Re: interdimensional/interstellar travel via psychedelics? [Re: ]
    #2129182 - 11/22/03 01:28 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

You're barking up the wrong tree. Look back and read the very first post in this thread ... I simply asked these questions:

"Do you think its possible to travel and/or visit other dimensions and/or places via the use/help of shrooms/acid or whatever drugs? Traveling using the mind/consciousness?"

Some folks think it is possible, other don't ... thats fine.

I happen to think it IS in the realm of possibility. I can't prove it though, its just a thought ... an idea ... a theory.

Funny thing is, those who think that its NOT possible ... can't prove it either. So there you have it.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #2129221 - 11/22/03 01:58 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

DUDE:

type 2 errors are just as bad as type 1 errors!

decreasing alpha (the probablity of making a type 1 error) only increases beta (the probability of making a type 2 error)

For those of you that don't know statistics, Type 1 error is when you falsely conclude that a proposition is true. Type 2 error is when you falsely conclude that a proposition is false.

"Burden of Proof" I think was mainly invented for jury trial and hard science. But in a hypothetical debate, I think that it facilitates the commission of type 2 errors.

Anonymous

Re: interdimensional/interstellar travel via psychedelics? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2129361 - 11/22/03 04:22 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

we are not dealing with statistics.

this has nothing to do with confidence intervals, P-values, and what have you.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #2129557 - 11/22/03 07:22 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I know. But it is a metaphor worthy of consideration. If your standards are too stringent, you run the risk of "disproving" something that is actually true, or something that can't be proven true or false. And that, my friend, would be just as bad as believing something to be true when it isn't.

Anonymous

Re: interdimensional/interstellar travel via psychedelics? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2129668 - 11/22/03 08:57 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

i don't think it would. i'd rather be unaware of something which is actually true than believe something which is false.

i'd rather believe only few things, most of which are true, than many things, most of which are not.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale