Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience >> Trip Reports

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Guiding the first timer.
    #2081585 - 11/07/03 06:29 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

The following is an edited version of something i wrote to someone on these boards inquiring about sharing the psychedelic experience with a first timer;

Mission statement...Over the past 3+ years i have studied and studied and been overwhelmed by this obsession that is psychoactives. Drugs are my life, every facet of it, I am held in high regards because of the extent i take it to. I am so interested by the chemical reactions which take place within all of our heads that i NEED to find an understanding, an understanding into the human condition, why we do what we do, why we think what we do, how the group dynamic works, how psychology can be taken advantage of *for good or bad*, Why things involving life work as they do, among many other unending questions. By bringing the psychedelic experience not only do i get to examine the psyche in an unobtrusive (unnoticed manner) but i get to gratify myself by positively changing peoples lives<-----This should help develop an understanding of my priorities and the passion i have for them. I encourage you to analyze your intentions, and delve deeper into your own desire to share the psychedelic experience.

I've introduced a fair number of people to mushrooms, and always given them an exponentially special experience. I act as the guide, but i dont intrude on their personal desires, i work with them. Remaining extremely positive, i make suggestions and speak with a noticable sincerity, i speak profound or powerfully, and what i say has impact. Ive never let someone sit and watch movies, or stay inside and play with glowsticks or anything....The first experience is the one that will make or break their opinion of psychedelics for the rest of their lives, so remember make it good.
ill usually start with positive music, a clean environment, and a calm relaxing preperation which i'll take care of, so they dont have to stress about anything. I let them know that they are in the hands of the best. Ill usually smile (they're contagious), and *bust a move* to the music...Not a full out dance, but just show that the vibe is in me and that its its incredibly positive.. It helps the first timer know that its ok to let loose a little bit. As the trip come's on, ill make eye contact...just brief glimpses...and i can guise it as *oh, your becomming pupilated* and then ask how they feel. I strongly suggest eyecontact, it affirms trust.
At about 45 minutes to an hour, after they are starting to feel weird ill often initiate a conversation about some of my past experiences, about what a trip is...Ill explain to them how a trip effects one's emotions and perceptions of situations, how a trip is more mental than visual, and they just need to relax and unfocus and as they do, let them know that the trip will come to them. I do this all in a very emphatic fashion, sincerity....so they know that i truly believe that this experience can be the most important of their lives. However, i dont stress this, as *life changing* can certainly be intimidating to most people...
When they start getting into it, and feeling good *often touchy*, Ill proceed outside as long as weather is permitting. I make sure to take into account everything...water, gum, snacks, warmth, comfort, fun. Once were outside my flamboyant nature really helps set the tone of the trip...I dance, and do jigs, and climb tree's and exclaim with emphasis what im feeling, and how i feel about it. I try and get them to *let go* and have fun....when they forget about the constraint of social norms and *self* norms, thats when the trip will get them to the place i want them to be. It'll take a bit for them to settle in comfortably.. But when they are comfortable ill find a comfortable spot, and perhaps sit and watch the sky unfold, this is where ill bring up abstract idea's...One's that now are common belief to me, ideas about love and family, happiness, priorities, life, society, the global situation, personal impact, and the power each of us have within us but need to realize. Generally they will start having "revelations" and i make sure to relate to what they say, so they dont feel isolated, and so they dont feel alone in feeling the way they do...If they become comfortable and emphatic about these idea's, Ill try and suggest to them how they can integrate them into their live's to become the person they want to be. Once again, i stress eye contact.
By this time we're probably into the comedown, and its just time for fun and reflection...Ill often be thanked, and that is so satisfying. However, i must stress the importance of suggesting something, and not forcing something....as this is their trip and you want them to *realize* for themselve's, and not *show* them. They need to find comfort and revelation within themselves.

Any other guides out there?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
Re: Guiding the first timer. [Re: PDU]
    #2081755 - 11/07/03 07:22 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

That's a good guide outline. Most important thing, of course, is to let them experience the trip for themselves, and not force what you usually do onto theirs. I might suggest music to listen to during the trip if it's an indoor music trip, but I make sure that they like that music, and are willing to listen to it. After that, they can choose what they want.
I hardly ever trip with someone else, mainly because it'd only be me and someone else embarking on a trip, and I'm not good with one on one social situations. I've found that trips with just one other person are very awkward, and can rattle my trips a bit. Thoughts like "Oh, I hope he's enjoying it" and forgetting to enjoy it myself.
But, end of the year, I am planning to finally get a group of my friends to all drop acid while on a camping trip. They've all agreed to, and now I just have to sort out the supplies. I'm quite excited, because group trips are a better vibe for me... if I can't think of anything to say, or didn't hear it, the rest of the group can communicate, and keep a flow going. 3 of these people will be doing this for the first time - 1 has already had a very lose dose, like a 1/4 tab, 1 other tripped on shrooms with me earlier in the year, and one is a virgin to both shrooms and acid. Meanwhile one other has done acid/shrooms before, and it'll be handy to have 2 some what experienced people on board to keep things in check in case people start getting rattled.
The beauty of tripping while camping is that you don't really need to show them anything - they just glance around and realise just how amazing it is. And there isn't a conflict of music taste, because when you go on a mission, everyone brings their own CD player and we can simply communicate by grins and smiles as we're exploring some weird forest with the greenest, softest grass you've ever seen.
I'll have to try the eye contact... I am quite shy, even around friends, and feel I have to look away if I look at their eyes.

Other guidelines? All I could suggest is to talk about the experience a bit before you dose, and get everyone (mainly group trip guideline here) to understand a few important things - such as; if someone is feeling a bit edgy/freaked out, make sure they TELL us, and we can work on changing the environment and helping them through the rough patch. They shouldn't feel like they are burdening us, as ignoring it will only make it worse, and we'd rather deal with it now, than having to calm you down when you're running off screaming for no apparent reason.
Tell everyone to get everything they might need during the trip ready, and have it placed somewhere they can just easily access and get what they want without having to scour the entire tent looking for. Things like water, CD players, spare batteries, torches (for peace of mind, especially on a mission, everyone should have their own torch) and warm clothes.
Make sure everyone knows not to fuck with each others heads in a malicious way. No running off leaving someone in the middle of nowhere, or making noises and claiming it wasn't them, but a demon of the ancient world in the bush just behind them. Tell them they can have fun, and joke around, but don't get it too serious, especially with first timers.
Encourage everyone to spend the peak doing things together; get interactive, go for a stroll, sit down and listen to the waves/music, glance at the stars/moon. Try not to leave anyone behind - last time I did acid with someone else, the 2 of them split a half tab, so they had a 1/4 each(yeah, it's fuck all, but that's all I had to spare). Anyways, my best friend and me went off on a mission, and my other friend didn't want to come. He was fine before when we went for stroll, and had fun, but now he was acting quite anti social and distancing himself. That was his first mistake - to wallow alone, on his first "trip" getting himself into a negative thought loop. Had he come along, he could have distracted himself, and had fun, and some good conversations, and good times. After we came back to get a change of CDs and warmer clothes, we finally managed to get him out, and sat with him on the beach, and got him to check out the stars, moon and the clouds all displaying themselves for us. He didn't stay long, and went to bed. Luckily he hadn't taken a decent dose, and I'd hate to think of the anguish he'd subjected himself to by not relaxing and knowing he himself has some control over the path the trip takes. Which leads to...
...Tell the first timers ways to deal with feeling freaked out. Simple things like drinking some water, going to the toilet, a change of music, a change of environment, talking to someone. It's easy to tell when you feel a rather nasty trip coming on, and it doesn't have to be inevitable.
Lastly, if they have any questions during the trip, go ahead and ask.

Yeah, it's rather simple, but a simple approach can be the easiest to use. :smile: 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience >> Trip Reports