Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Loc: The Great White North
What wavelength of light is Cubensis phototropic too?
    #2068915 - 11/03/03 09:06 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I'm sure I've seen research somewhere indicating which wavelength of light Cubensis is typically most phototropic to.....but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Anyone got any pointers? (And there's a reason why I'm interested in the exact wavelength....)

TIA :-)

-psy

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: What wavelength of light is Cubensis phototropic too? [Re: psyconaut]
    #2068936 - 11/03/03 09:20 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

blue.

Oh -- phototropic?? Or photosensitive. It pins best in blue light, if that's what you mean. I guess that would be phototropic -- for the mushrooms, at least.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Edited by micro (11/03/03 09:23 PM)

Offlinewacked
Ylide
 User Gallery
Loc: Hawaii
    #2068964 - 11/03/03 09:37 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

If I recall correctly plants are phototropic; the growth of a shoot toward the light. If the growing of a plant is illuminated from one side it will curve toward the light. This response results from a differential growth of cells on opposite sides of the plant. The cells on the darker side elongate faster than the cells on the brighter side. What stimulates the growth of these cells on the darker side is a hormone called auxin. Mushrooms do not require light since they do not photosynthesize. If you have an way to shine different wavelengths of light on a mushroom do an experiment. Higher energy UV light or infra red light and test you hypothesis. They dont need light though.

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Re: What wavelength of light is Cubensis phototropic too? [Re: wacked]
    #2068980 - 11/03/03 09:44 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

They need light to know where and when to pin. Mushrooms grow toward light.

I don't know if this would be considered phototropicity, but it makes sense. They respond to blue light the most (~450 nm.)

--
Micro

--------------------

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
Re: What wavelength of light is Cubensis phototropic too? [Re: micro]
    #2069216 - 11/03/03 11:36 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

They are phototropic, just as plant roots are geotropic. They grow towards the ground.

No idea about the wavelength, just adding 2centavos

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Edited by Cow Shit Collector (11/03/03 11:42 PM)

OfflineSeraph
ShroomiN'SeraphiM
Female

Loc: South Flordia
Re: What wavelength of light is Cubensis phototropic too? [Re: Cow Shit Collector]
    #2070025 - 11/04/03 11:01 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Light: Diffuse natural or exposure for 12-16 hours/day of grow-lux type fluorescent light high in blue spectra at the 480 nanometer wavelength. (See Chapters IV and IX).

that was taken from this link.

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23457
maybe it helps

--------------------
(\(\
( -.-)
o_(")(")

~nicole

Edited by Seraph (11/04/03 01:14 PM)

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Re: What wavelength of light is Cubensis phototropic too? [Re: Seraph]
    #2070050 - 11/04/03 11:29 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

wacked: to be phototropic just means a sensile organism that can avoid or seek light. Cubensis are phototropic and it's quite interesting (and fun) to do experiments to prove this and make twisted 'shrooms. Not all mushrooms are phototropic, as I'm sure you know....agaricus bisporus can grow completely in the dark, for example.

Seraph: that definitely helps, thank you very much :-)

-psy

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

Invisiblesupernaut
why man
 User Gallery

Loc: Nunya, Bidniz
Re: What wavelength of light is Cubensis phototropic too? *DELETED* [Re: psyconaut]
    #2071503 - 11/04/03 09:52 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by supernaut

--------------------
We don't make music...we make music better...
we also make biscuits and gravy!

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Re: What wavelength of light is Cubensis phototropic too? [Re: supernaut]
    #2071551 - 11/04/03 10:06 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

The reason I wanted to know is that I'll be using an LED-based light source for an automated grow environment and wanted to avoid using white LEDs (they're generally fairly expensive and high current so I was considering blue LEDs).

I doubt using a narrowband 470nm light sources would have any appreciable effect on pinning -- especially considering that light is not the only factor affecting pinning.

-psy

--------------------

OfflineArrow
ARROW
    #2071589 - 11/04/03 10:22 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

your local pet shop will have-ask for a Blue aquarium light(Blue Moon)made by Philips

think its 280-480 nm

--------------------
The all singing, all dancing crap of the world.

InvisibleW1ll1ams11
The Wanderer
Re: What wavelength of light is Cubensis phototropic too? [Re: Arrow]
    #2071754 - 11/04/03 11:30 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

"A thorough investigation on the photosensititvity of Psilocybe cubensis can be found in a master's thesis by E.R. Badham (1979). His work reinforces the conclusions of other researchers working with the Basidiomycetes: more pinheads are initiated upon exposure to blue and and ultra-violet light with distinct peaks at 370, 440, and 460 nanometers. Badham showed that light stimulation at these wavelengths for as little as half a millisecond per day caused primordia to form. In contrast, red, infra-red, and green light having wavelengths greater than 510 nanometers were ineffective."(Mushroom Cultivator p.147).

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Loc: Jupiter's Moon
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: psyconaut]
    #2071808 - 11/04/03 11:48 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
-Alien :cool:

Offlinefungulus
Re: What wavelength of light is Cubensis phototropic too? [Re: Alien]
    #2078014 - 11/06/03 06:00 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I know that plants grow and differentiate structures (leaves,roots) by Photosensitivity. They grow in different directions due to Gravitropism or the effect gravity has on the cells. Structures above ground are exposed to light and grow upward both toward the light and away from gravity. The roots grow down because of lack of light and toward gravity. The basic cells are the same and are called Parencyma cells (basic square plant cells). Light seems to cause primordia to form as W1ll1ams11 quoted from his text book, but don't things grow as a direct stimulated respose of thier environment ie this giant spinning ball called Earth. I think they grow because they must reproduce and the way they grow is dependent upon thier environment. You never see mushrooms growing sideways outside do you? Why do they sometimes grow sideways in containers? I don't see what light has to do w/it let alone what wavelength cubensis are phototropic to. They grow regardless.

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Re: What wavelength of light is Cubensis phototropic too? [Re: fungulus]
    #2080408 - 11/07/03 09:08 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah -- mushrooms do this, too (actually called negative geotropism.) Both light and gravity are factors. I think it would be advantageous when the substrate in the wild is not nessecarily pointing from the ground up, but it may be under a rock, or in a tree where a branch is covering it, but it can still fruit outwards, or to the side. Just a few examples -- I'm sure there are many....

Even a cow pattie is an example. The light tells the fungi where 'out of the substrate' is where there will be the greatest chance of depositing spores.

--
Micro

--------------------

Edited by micro (11/07/03 09:10 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate