Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineZahid
Stranger
Jessica Lynch Criticizes U.S. Accounts of Her Ordeal
    #2079260 - 11/07/03 02:16 AM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Jessica Lynch Criticizes U.S. Accounts of Her Ordeal
By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK

Published: November 7, 2003

In her first public statements since her rescue in Iraq, Jessica Lynch criticized the military for exaggerating accounts of her rescue and re-casting her ordeal as a patriotic fable.

Asked by the ABC News anchor Diane Sawyer if the military's portrayal of the rescue bothered her, Ms. Lynch said: "Yeah, it does. It does that they used me as a way to symbolize all this stuff. Yeah, it's wrong," according to a partial transcript of the interview to be broadcast on Tuesday.
Advertisement

After months of retreating from the news media, Ms. Lynch will be a ubiquitous presence next week. In addition to her appearance on ABC, she will be on the cover of Time magazine, and NBC will broadcast a movie based on an Iraqi's account of her ordeal. On Tuesday, the book publisher Knopf will release an account of her experience, "I Am a Soldier, Too," written with her cooperation by a former reporter for The New York Times, Rick Bragg.

The book and the movie are unrelated and tell different versions of Ms. Lynch's story, but the publisher has timed the book to capitalize on publicity from the television movie.

The book has already added another, lurid indignity to the public accounts of her capture. It reports that Ms. Lynch's military doctors found injuries consistent with sexual assault and unlikely to have resulted from the Humvee crash that caused her other wounds, suggesting that she was raped after her capture. Ms. Lynch, who was unconscious immediately after the crash, does not remember any such assault, according to people who have talked to her and read the book. Those details of the book's contents were reported yesterday in The New York Daily News.

In the book and in the interviews, Ms. Lynch says others' accounts of her heroism often left her feeling hurt and ashamed because of what she says was overstatement.

At first, a military spokesman in Iraq told journalists that American soldiers had exchanged fire with Iraqis during the rescue, without adding that resistance was minimal. Then the military released a dramatic, green-tinted, night-vision video of the mission. Soon news organizations were repeating reports, attributed to anonymous American officials, that Ms. Lynch had heroically resisted her capture, emptying her weapon at her attackers.

But subsequent investigations determined that Ms. Lynch was injured by the crash of her vehicle, her weapon jammed before she could fire, the Iraqi doctors treated her kindly, and the hospital was already in friendly hands when her rescuers arrived.

Asked how she felt about the reports of her heroism, Ms. Lynch told Ms. Sawyer, "It hurt in a way that people would make up stories that they had no truth about. Only I would have been able to know that, because the other four people on my vehicle aren't here to tell the story. So I would have been the only one able to say, yeah, I went down shooting. But I didn't."

And asked about reports that the military exaggerated the danger of the rescue mission, Ms. Lynch said, "Yeah, I don't think it happened quite like that," although she added that in that context anybody would have approached the hospital well-armed. She continued: "I don't know why they filmed it, or why they say the things they, you know, all I know was that I was in that hospital hurting. I needed help."

Lt. Col. Rivers Johnson, a spokesman for the Department of Defense, declined to comment on Ms. Lynch's views. But he said, "Essentially, the mission to rescue Jessica Lynch demonstrated America's resolve to account for all of its missing service members." He added that the rescue had been conducted under the appropriate procedures for a fluid situation like the war in Iraq. "You always plan for the worst."

Ms. Lynch also disputed statements by Mohammed Odeh al-Rehaief, the Iraqi lawyer, that he saw her captors slap her.

"From the time I woke up in that hospital, no one beat me, no one slapped me, no one, nothing," Ms. Lynch told Diane Sawyer, adding, "I'm so thankful for those people, because that's why I'm alive today."

Jeff Coplon, who helped Mr. Rehaief write his book, "Because Each Life is Precious," said it was possible that both he and Ms. Lynch were telling the truth in their divergent accounts.

"One of the questions that could arise in the wake of this kind of trauma is that someone could believe they remember everything and their memory could still be incomplete," Mr. Coplon said.

Link

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
Re: Jessica Lynch Criticizes U.S. Accounts of Her Ordeal [Re: Zahid]
    #2080379 - 11/07/03 10:53 AM (13 years, 30 days ago)

speaking of which, anyone notice the hypocrisy of the conservatives when it comes to the new NBC TV show Saving Jessica Lynch? In regards to the Reagan docu-drama, they cried historical inaccuracy (which may be true) and demanded censorship. But when it comes to Saving Jessica Lynch and the false portrayal of events that will be included in this TV show, they havent said a word.

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Jessica Lynch Criticizes U.S. Accounts of Her Ordeal [Re: Xochitl]
    #2080393 - 11/07/03 10:58 AM (13 years, 30 days ago)

shameless, it's all horribly shameless.

I still don't understand why everyone
tries looking at reagan through such rose
colored glasses.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #2080671 - 11/07/03 12:51 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

I always suspected that Jessica Lynch's story was blown way out of proportion. No real suprise there.

In regards to the Reagan docu-drama, they cried historical inaccuracy (which may be true) and demanded censorship.

No one demanded censorship. They simply said we don't like what you are doing and we will stop supporting your business if you air that. Its not censorship. No one forced CBS to take it off the air. They simply did what all businesses do and catered to their customers.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
Re: Jessica Lynch Criticizes U.S. Accounts of Her Ordeal [Re: z@z.com]
    #2080716 - 11/07/03 01:09 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Again, if conservatives are so concerned with the historical accuracy of the major television dramas, then why havent there been any calls for "boycotts" (or whatever nice term you chose) of NBC's sponors for the promotion and production of the Saving Jessica Lynch story? This new docu-drama is bound to be as inaccurate and spiced up as CBS's depiction of the Reagans.

The reasons for the called "boycott" of CBS included:

1) historical inaccuracy
2) insensitivity towards the ill Reagan

Now, how is this different than Saving Jessica Lynch? The story that NBC will portray is highly inaccurate (towing the politicized propaganda originally put forth by the Pentagon/State Department), and Lynch herself is still alive and dealing with her supposed rape.

Why the double standard? Why the hypocrisy?

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

Anonymous

#2080723 - 11/07/03 01:11 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

if conservatives are so concerned with the historical accuracy of the major television dramas, then why havent there been any calls for "boycotts" (or whatever nice term you chose) of NBC's sponors for the promotion and production of the Saving Jessica Lynch story?

i know i won't be watching it. good luck convincing mainstream america and the show's sponsors.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #2080728 - 11/07/03 01:13 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

They are calling for boycotts against that Reagan show because it portrays one of their heros in a bad and perhaps innaccurate light. I doubt it has much to do with historical inaccuracy

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: Jessica Lynch Criticizes U.S. Accounts of Her Ordeal [Re: afoaf]
    #2081058 - 11/07/03 03:06 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

I was watching some cable in the classroom thing about regan. It was frightening. That man is a fundamentalist christian like none other. He was racist and paranoid. He had no business being in office. Mentally, psychologically.

Just like, when you are Head of the CIA, you dont get to be president. I think that is a gross conflict of interests. A tangent.. because Im tremendously high and I think when you are high, you shouldnt get too politcal.

The line between blatent censorship and vague PC is getting dimmer and dimmer.

--------------------

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
Re: Jessica Lynch Criticizes U.S. Accounts of Her Ordeal [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #2081156 - 11/07/03 03:35 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

if conservatives are so concerned with the historical accuracy of the major television dramas, then why havent there been any calls for "boycotts" (or whatever nice term you chose) of NBC's sponors for the promotion and production of the Saving Jessica Lynch story?

Because they aren't concerned with historical accuracy, they are concerned with staying in power. And they are willing to use coercion to do it. Another sign that profit worship doesn't always lead to the moral right.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Jessica Lynch Criticizes U.S. Accounts of Her Ordeal [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2081234 - 11/07/03 04:06 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

It's too bad the Reagan can't even remember how much of a piece of shit he is.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Jessica Lynch Criticizes U.S. Accounts of Her Ordeal [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #2081454 - 11/07/03 05:34 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

PsiloKitten said:
I was watching some cable in the classroom thing about regan. It was frightening. That man is a fundamentalist christian like none other. He was racist and paranoid. He had no business being in office. Mentally, psychologically.

From what I've heard, he wasn't all that religious himself, but he pandered to those people. Racist? Maybe a little bit. Paranoid? Not as much as Nixon, but ya, I suppose he was a little bit.

Quote:

Just like, when you are Head of the CIA, you dont get to be president. I think that is a gross conflict of interests. A tangent.. because Im tremendously high and I think when you are high, you shouldnt get too politcal.

I don't think Reagan was ever in the CIA. You're probably thinking of Bush, Sr.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Jessica Lynch Criticizes U.S. Accounts of Her Ordeal [Re: silversoul7]
    #2081505 - 11/07/03 05:59 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Jessica Lynch Criticizes U.S. Accounts of Her Ordeal [Re: monoamine]
    #2081795 - 11/07/03 07:38 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

comedy.

he doesn't, but I'm sure Nancy does...

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisibleadrug

#2081921 - 11/07/03 08:26 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

If I'm not mistaken, Reagan occassionally got policy advice from his wife's astrologer.

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: Jessica Lynch Criticizes U.S. Accounts of Her Ordeal [Re: z@z.com]
    #2081939 - 11/07/03 08:32 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

z@z.com said:

No one demanded censorship. They simply said we don't like what you are doing and we will stop supporting your business if you air that. Its not censorship. No one forced CBS to take it off the air. They simply did what all businesses do and catered to their customers.

Extortion is force with semantics.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Jessica Lynch Criticizes U.S. Accounts of Her Ordeal [Re: adrug]
    #2081940 - 11/07/03 08:32 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Correct. Also, during press conferences, he would only call on reporters who were wearing red. Eventually everyone in the room started wearing red.

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Jessica Lynch Criticizes U.S. Accounts of Her Ordeal [Re: Zahid]
    #2082560 - 11/08/03 12:17 AM (13 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

Zahid said:
Extortion is force with semantics.

Please explain.

How come if some from a leftist political persuasion organize a boycott or related public action, they are exercising their rights, but when some from the right do the same thing it is censorship?

Can you say hypocrisy?

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Jessica Lynch Criticizes U.S. Accounts of Her Ordeal [Re: Evolving]
    #2082613 - 11/08/03 12:42 AM (13 years, 29 days ago)

Whenever you ASSUME, you make an ASS out of U and ME.

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2082617 - 11/08/03 12:45 AM (13 years, 29 days ago)

What exactly is your point? (I don't want to assume anything)

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Jessica Lynch Criticizes U.S. Accounts of Her Ordeal [Re: Evolving]
    #2082649 - 11/08/03 01:03 AM (13 years, 29 days ago)

You assume that he subscribes to such a double-standard when you have no proof that he does.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion