Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleCaliLove
Endospore problems
    #2078717 - 11/06/03 11:26 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Having a problem with certain jars doing nothing and other taking off like crazy. The one doing nothing seem to have a sour smell to them. So they were tossed. Perperation of the wbf goes as follows

1.) take all sunflower seeds out
2.) run hot water over the bin of wbf letting it drain then perpare jars. (this take about 10 -15 mintues) always filling jars from the wbf on the top
3.) then PC for 45min at 15psi

Would Endospores have anything to do with this? Like could some of them hatch during the rinse and the other will hatch in the jar even after PC. I would say 60% turn out OK and the others do nothing and have that sour smell and no growth.

Or could it be wetspots (sour rotten smell) from more water being on the bottom of the bin and getting all the rinse water from the top. I ussally scope the wbf from the top so i'm trying to say the top is more dry then the bottom wbf?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
Re: Endospore problems [Re: CaliLove]
    #2078846 - 11/07/03 12:00 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

increase your pc time .90 min is good .
soak the grain 12-24 hr to give endospores time to hatch, then if you're still having problems try a different brand of bird seed .

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
    #2078860 - 11/07/03 12:05 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, you are right about most of your speculation. You probably do have wet spot contamination due to endospores that hatched after you pced and the extra moisture in the jars you did last probably helped it along. Next time soak the grain for at least 8 hours before you pc. This will help to hatch any endospores so they will be killed by the heat when you pc. Also, it is good to pc for at least an hour. 45 min is an absolute minimun. The bad news is that if you have endospores hatching and causing contamination in a few jars, some might still hatch in your good jars and ruin those too. But it is possible that the other jars just got sterilized a little better and may be okay.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

OfflineFcuerkt
insane visionary

Loc: the center of a xenon ato...
Re: Endospore problems [Re: Demiurge]
    #2079006 - 11/07/03 12:54 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

if the grain is mostly still intact, could Cali just re-PC the jars and kill the organisms and then re-innoculate?

InvisibleCaliLove
Re: Endospore problems [Re: Fcuerkt]
    #2079082 - 11/07/03 01:19 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I really would not do that because they are already sour Fcuerkt. But I feel everyone has the right idea of what I'm doin so thats good. I dont pre soak the WBF but it does work and can grow like i said but I worried about the other 40% lost. It red and white millet with small amount of canary seed. Also will Endospores leave a film of the jars which were sour because I see that sometimes. The other jars just seem to have a health look with alot of growth and a good smell beacuse I lefted the tape before I opened the jars and could tell which one were gone. I'll try the 12-24 hour pre soak and a thrity minute simmer on the stove before PC. Does all this soaking and simmering effect the WBF with so much water and then PC fianlly it just seems like to much water????

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
    #2079320 - 11/07/03 02:33 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

>Also will Endospores leave a film of the jars which were sour
>because I see that sometimes.

Yes

Does all this soaking and simmering effect the WBF with so much water and then PC fianlly it just seems like to much water????

You don't need to simmer or add any extra water if you soak first.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

OfflineGranola
bag lady

Loc: 50.0N-6.0E
Re: Endospore problems [Re: Demiurge]
    #2080293 - 11/07/03 10:15 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I wouldnt waste time picking out seeds, sunflower or others, they will have the same chance of sterilization as any other if done properly.

I soak over night, drain the following morning, allow to sit until I return from work and then PC after dinner, allow to cool until I wake the next morning and innoculate. I have not lost a bag or jar to a sunflower seed, only to improper innoculation and procedures.

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #2080672 - 11/07/03 12:51 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

simmering is just different way of hydrateing some grains like wheat or rye berries .
soaking works better for wbs (jmo) rinse well and drain in a strainer for an hour, or until it doesn't drip when you bump the strainer against your hand .

OfflineFcuerkt
insane visionary

Loc: the center of a xenon ato...
Re: Endospore problems [Re: deanofmean]
    #2081780 - 11/07/03 07:32 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, you gotsta let those endospores hatch. I just did a fucked up batch a little while ago, trying to get some flake friends started. Tried to cheat on the soaking time, smmrd it first for 2 hrs. 5/8 have black spots, the rest got a little mycelium but then halted. This time its soaking for _24_ hrs, and I've got a good feeling about this batch.

InvisibleCaliLove
Re: Endospore problems [Re: Fcuerkt]
    #2081860 - 11/07/03 07:59 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Everyones input was great I now realize the importance of the soaking. I'm hoping for a better sucess rate in next time. I kinda worried about wetspots forming from the soaking but draining it for a while shoudl work. Thanks agian!!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation