Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: David Lynch [Re: mikeisapro]
    #20785128 - 11/02/14 06:02 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I know ped a little bit.  It was a total shocker to me. I would have thought he'd feel just the opposite. :confused:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemikeisapro
Pro
Re: David Lynch [Re: Icelander]
    #20785181 - 11/02/14 06:12 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

He may well be trolling. It doesn't matter whether he is or not, though. If he is trolling, he is wrong. If he's not, he's still wrong. :lol:

--------------------
Life without drugs lacks substance(s).

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: David Lynch [Re: Ped]
    #20786368 - 11/02/14 10:26 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

>> I respect OP's opinion on practically everything but this. To say that any director, musician, artist is overrated and undeserving of praise is illogical.

Not so. There are in fact directors, musicians, and artists who are overrated and undeserving of praise.

>> I know ped a little bit.  It was a total shocker to me. I would have thought he'd feel just the opposite.

>> He may well be trolling. It doesn't matter whether he is or not, though. If he is trolling, he is wrong. If he's not, he's still wrong

My introduction to David Lynch came through an old roommate who was so thoroughly in love with the odour of his own flatulence that his monotonous ramblings about Lynch's "brilliance" served only to sour my impression of him as a director.  He was one of those people who wouldn't shut up about that show "Lost."  David Lynch was just another aspect of my roommate’s obnoxious self-indulgence, and for this reason I've never developed any interest in his work. 

I've actually never seen any David Lynch movies, only bits and pieces here and there while distracted.  The original intention behind this post was to investigate how relevant and worthwhile his films actually are.  Since simply asking "Hey is David Lynch good?" is boring and rouses no passions, I figured I'd evaluate the response to half-cocked criticism as a means of gaining insight into how people relate to his work.  In other words, I was indeed trolling, but I was trolling with a meaningful purpose.

Stupid haircut aside, which of David Lynch's films would serve as a good introduction to his work?

>> your choice in a bong is totally ridiculous, but your choice in beer is quite good.

It's not a real photo.  That is my favourite beer though.  Here's a real photo:

My favourite bubbler, 2 oz vodka, 2 oz whiskey.  Pretty typical night for me these days.  The coffee decanter holds a betta fish.  His name is Phaffinfoophenphaffinfiphen.

>> wtf this has to do with PS&P,

Lynch's films are, as far as my limited understanding goes, intended to investigate the human condition and human psyche and some fashion.  If that's correct, it has relevance to this forum.  I had actually hoped to see more of that discussion of that here.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
    #20786695 - 11/03/14 01:07 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Won't work on me, I define such criticisms as meaningless - it has saved me a lot of time by not getting embroiled in arguments that amount to nothing other than preference, so that was my point bringing up the bong and beer.

David Lynch alone is not a topic of discussion, I'd have happily chimed in on some way in which he's investigated the human condition and human psyche, and whether or not that was effective, if you had given us that much.

I think his 'stupid haircut' is actually interesting, in virtually all his films there's somebody with a wild hairdo like his own... I speculate its a reflection of what goes on inside their minds, the metaphorical soil from which the hair grows...... :shrug:

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#20786865 - 11/03/14 03:57 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Phaffinfoophenphaffinfiphen sounds like the after effects of living with a room mate who was enamored of flatulence.
I liked the twin peaks series and Blue Velvet - for being satisfyingly odd - five stars.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Invisiblequinn
some kinda love
 User Gallery

Re: David Lynch [Re: redgreenvines]
    #20786883 - 11/03/14 04:28 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

the same reason i like you :thumbup:

lost highway is also a good one

--------------------
dripping with fantasy

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: David Lynch [Re: redgreenvines]
    #20787080 - 11/03/14 07:41 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

yeah twin peaks and blue velvet were great imo :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: David Lynch [Re: deff]
    #20787189 - 11/03/14 08:36 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Blue Velvet gets my vote.  And flatulence is good, OP.  Breathe deep and say your mantra.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Offlinemikeisapro
Pro
Re: David Lynch [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #20787415 - 11/03/14 10:13 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Come on guys get with the program.

I have seen all of his work other than The Elephant Man (not really his) and Dune (commercial and critical failure, even in Lynch's own eyes).

For the OP to hate Lynch based on his impression of another person who claimed to like him is unfair.

OP admits to not even having seen a single Lynch film. Ridiculous thread.

--------------------

OfflineAshura
Stranger

Re: David Lynch [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #20787457 - 11/03/14 10:22 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Eraserhead is worth watching just because of the surreal nightmarish atmosphere. Elephant Man is boring. Mulholland Drive was confusing and not interesting enough to put the effort in figuring out. These are all i've seen.

You should watch Eraserhead. What better introduction than his first movie.

Offlinemikeisapro
Pro
Re: David Lynch [Re: Ashura]
    #20787476 - 11/03/14 10:27 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I made a thread about him, but since I named it "rank david's movies", discussion never took off. Also, it IS the music and arts forum :smirk:

"Eraserhead is worth watching just because of the surreal nightmarish atmosphere. Elephant Man is boring."

I think all of his movies are worth watching, and the ones you don't get would benefit from multiple watches. A variety of different chemicals can aid your appreciation of them, but for goodness sake don't drink or take mind-dulling benzos with them.

But The Elephant Man does not count as a Lynch film.

Thread here: rank David Lynch movies!

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: David Lynch [Re: Ashura]
    #20788069 - 11/03/14 01:04 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Twin Peaks and Fire Walk with Me.  FTW

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds