Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTheMustardTiger
Male

Loc: Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Re: Novelty grows [Re: wowimflabbergasted]
    #20779852 - 11/01/14 10:13 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

:popcorn:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Novelty grows [Re: Pastywhyte] * 4
    #20779981 - 11/01/14 11:19 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Bear in mind "novelty" does not have to mean humourous or weird for the sake of it, it can be something new, novel, untested.

Quote:

Lhouse said:
I think no one posts novelty stuff on here because there are so many Know-it-alls who are just waiting for a chance to face-palm someone.

+1, I think many do not even bother trying their novel grows as their idea is ridiculed from the start. I have done several things that were and still are laughed at. Also there is often needless pendantic remarks correcting peoples terminology, sneering at their "ignorance"

Quote:

Pastywhyte said:There is a big difference between something done for fun and something guaranteed to fail. I like to think most of the know it alls can tell the difference :shrug:

If there is evidence it will fail then it may not be worth trying, e.g. if the exact same suggestion has been done numerous times before and failed, with actual evidence like grow logs. Trouble is I expect many do not post failed growlogs which is a real shame.

One which springs to mind is fractional sterilization, TCs saying it will fail yet have never tried it themselves, and cannot point to any growlog to see how the failure came about, you just get a blunt & vague "loads have tried and failed", who? when? what did they ACTUALLY do?. Some have shown examples of failed fractional sterilisation attempts and I could nearly points out how the failure came about. Same with microwaves, point me to a failed microwave attempt and I can usually point out where it was deeply flawed and how it could have been done significantly better.

It is far easier for someone to say "that will fail" and established members want to "save face", if it works they can simply claim it was a fluke, easy cop out, they can't lose and can still claim they are right.

For years here people were saying you cannot boil/steam grains, you need a PC. Then finally 1 single person (RR) says he does it for 8 hours and everyone accepts it. I have not seen much further testing of this time. If you read RRs posts about it then it seems he is doing large bags or jars and he is at altitude so the steam is not even at 100C. Therefore it would make sense that you could get away with shorter times at low altitude and in smaller jars.

I have fruited in small jars, and done numerous small jar grows to test out sterilization techniques. Only after it happens other things spring to mind. e.g. I found I was able to fruit in a jar without ever opening it, never fanning or misting, so it was a very clean environment. The small jar allows it to be tipped on its side. Then spores can drop onto the jar, then you can inject water and suck them up. I have seen this done by a few others yet I do not see it a lot. A lot of stuff goes unnoticed. Part of the reason for this is that experienced growers may have lots of equipment and not immediately realise how useful a method is for a complete novice, who may have never even tripped before and so wants minimal initial investment.

I was worried about injecting too much water into the jar to collect spores incase it mixed up substrate and therefore could cause spores to germinate. After reading of other novel experiments by Anno who was purposely freezing spores syringes I then realised I could shoot lots of water in to gather up lots of spores and just freeze them. I can let several mushrooms drop spores on the jar sides and shake the semi dry grains about to mix up the spores. I can then have a mini jar of "dirty" spore water in a jar in a freezer with a self healing injection port. Squirt in a little water and it thaws the top of this jar and you draw out some freshly defrosted spores without having to thaw the whole jar.

Invisiblemaddchef
Vaginal escape artist
 User Gallery

Loc: Your mom's vag
Re: Novelty grows [Re: blackout]
    #20779987 - 11/01/14 11:22 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Woah where did you come from? Lol

--------------------
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.....                     

Easier than cakes

I do science and shit.

:havesomescience:

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Novelty grows [Re: maddchef]
    #20780002 - 11/01/14 11:29 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Cronicr steamed grains and had some killer grows with it about a year ago. Search for his $50 adventure :thumbup:

Didn't anno have some issues with his frozen spores. Been a while since I read that One but I thought that while he had success it wasn't quite as good. I need to go find it again and re read.

Edited by Pastywhyte (11/01/14 11:36 AM)

OfflineTheMustardTiger
Male

Re: Novelty grows [Re: Pastywhyte] * 1
    #20780038 - 11/01/14 11:44 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Pastywhyte said:
Cronicr steamed grains and had some killer grows with it about a year ago. Search for his $50 adventure :thumbup:

I remember this. Great thread.

We should all be open to new ideas but also display fervent skepticism. "I did this and this happened" is not enough for me and it shouldn't be for you, either. Just recently I had someone tell me that rolling your brf cakes in seashell flour would boast a better pin set. When I asked how, he replied: "I did a grow with it and got a nice pinset" :facepalm: Of course, I understand most of us don't have a lab where we can conduct serious research, but there are people like pasty, muda and a bunch more that really do come up with new stuff that works. Noobs are always trying to modify existing methods and in the process end up diminishing their effectiveness. This forum is a cool place and there are a select few that are really cool with it, but most people on here are either smug forum junkies who just want to tell everyone what to do and the rest are noobs just looking for a quick way to grow drugs. Just my 2 cents. I should reiterate: There are cool people on here and you know who you are.Keep up the good work fellas :thumbup:

Invisiblemaddchef
Vaginal escape artist
 User Gallery

Re: Novelty grows [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #20780042 - 11/01/14 11:45 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I would think freezing spores or any living thing is a crap shoot since living things usually have some moisture in them and if not freeze dried the water crystallizes and expands damaging cell walls.

--------------------

Easier than cakes

I do science and shit.

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Novelty grows [Re: Pastywhyte] * 1
    #20780053 - 11/01/14 11:51 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I think that there is a fine line between halfassing something out of laziness rather than need. True many years ago certain things were daunting due to cost or difficulty in obtaining supplies.  But many of those obstacles are no longer relevent unless you live in China. Things like open air G2G or unfiltered lids are so simple to get around that there is no reason anymore not to. I built my first SAB for $20. My easy agar tek can be done with items from the grocery store for $20. A bag of polyfil is $5. There is no excuse for certain corners that used to be cut. If you just want to trip once with no pc or real investment the pf is tried and tru, stick with it.

Another reason so many people frown on some things is that the people wanting to do them don't understand what they are doing. So the most proven and easy to do methods are whats advocated. There may simpler or cheaper ways but many of them carry extra vectors for contam and as such are discouraged until those individuals have a better grasp of whats going on. Microwaves are said to be useless but that is only to complete noobs. I use a microwave for things but I won't advocate it on the boards.

I want this thread to be something fun. Any grow is fair game here but I really want to see stuff that is different from what is usually done. It should not be a place to advocate anything or criticize either. Whether you grow in a kiddie pool or a thimble its all good. Think RR's money grow or the teddy bear grow I saw way back. Lets loose the seriousness for a bit and have some fun. If something fails its just a broken egg to get that omelet.  .  . Mmmmmn omelet

OfflineTheMustardTiger
Male

#20780064 - 11/01/14 11:54 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Pastywhyte said:and have some fub.

We all need to have more fub

--------------------

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Loc: illinois
Re: Novelty grows [Re: TheMustardTiger]
    #20780243 - 11/01/14 12:54 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

:takingnotes:

--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Novelty grows [Re: tripdawg420]
    #20780259 - 11/01/14 12:58 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

my whole take on it is as long as you're smart and can figure out shit on your own who cares it won't matter. advice is going to come from all angles and walks of life. no culture is wrong no way is wrong. but with that said there's cheaper and easier ways to do things with higher success rates these days. everyone who isn't a complete dumbass has been successful with cubes and usually other species as well

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20780301 - 11/01/14 01:09 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Pastywhyte said:Didn't anno have some issues with his frozen spores. Been a while since I read that One but I thought that while he had success it wasn't quite as good. I need to go find it again and re read.

Here it is.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/3685892
he was simply verifying that if frozen a spore syringe is still viable. I don't think anybody expected it to be the exact same. In that thread I mention wondering if in a year or 2 would the frozen one prove more viable than a syringe kept in a fridge for that time. Or longer than a dry print.

I would guess some spores are damaged, but as another person in that thread says the damage is immediate. The hope would be that while some are damaged the remaining ones can survive a long time in the freezer. There is also talk of them not being fully hydrated, which is a good point, and if true then if sucking spores from a clean jar grow you should similarly freeze them quickly.

My use of this idea was that you did not have to worry about having "contaminated syringes", contaminated with nutrition that is, either mushroom matter which could be cannabilised or regular nutrients like agar or bits of grain.

-back to more "fun" ideas. I always wanted to grow a shroom in a syringe. I have grown on small substrates so wanted to see how low you could go. A 10ml syringe maybe a bit small, but a 60ml is probably enough. A modified plunger could be used, so it supports the substrate. Then have a syringe filter on top so you can plunge up and down for air exchange, if its even needed as it may get enough through a needle.

I also wondered about more grocery store grows, using ready sterilized products to grow directly off, or to have minimal processing.

This is cube myc on kidney beans and peas, both canned. Nothing really came of them. They were rinsed after taking out of the can and microwaved with the filters in place, so the steam killed any additional contams but also served to dry it out to a better moisture content.

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Novelty grows [Re: bodhisatta]
    #20780303 - 11/01/14 01:09 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I have updated the OP to show some of these grows. The OP will be updated to show the coolest ones or to show the grows start point to completion. Old ones may end up being removed periodically and anyone with a grow done to completion should get a showcase in the OP. Its my intent that anyone with a grow carried to completion gets a spot in the OP, and if someone ever wants their contribution not to be included or removed just let me know.

Hopefully the OP ends up being a collection of wild and cool stuff :headbang3:

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20780308 - 11/01/14 01:10 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

blackout said:
-back to more "fun" ideas. I always wanted to grow a shroom in a syringe. I have grown on small substrates so wanted to see how low you could go. A 10ml syringe maybe a bit small, but a 60ml is probably enough. A modified plunger could be used, so it supports the substrate. Then have a syringe filter on top so you can plunge up and down for air exchange, if its even needed as it may get enough through a needle.

Now that would be fucking cool :rockon:

Seems like you got some great ideas blackout, please post them all :awesomenod:

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20783086 - 11/02/14 08:08 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Here is something that is not so much a novelty grow as something that is a byproduct of good genetics. Galindoi stones formed in the slant, while in the fridge. Really need to pull this one out and grow it again :awesomenod:

Invisibleazur
God of Fuck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Daid
    #20783091 - 11/02/14 08:09 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Damn!!

--------------------

A cube is NOT a cube.

FALL IN LOVE WITH LC
FOTTSE!!!
ALL NOOBS READ THIS!!!

Invisiblemaddchef
Vaginal escape artist
 User Gallery

#20783093 - 11/02/14 08:09 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Jealous

--------------------

Easier than cakes

I do science and shit.

OfflineTheMustardTiger
Male

Re: Novelty grows [Re: azur]
    #20783094 - 11/02/14 08:10 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

wowwwwww

--------------------

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20783145 - 11/02/14 08:31 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Pastywhyte said:
Seems like you got some great ideas blackout, please post them all :awesomenod:

Not a grow, but one of my favourite ideas was a way of "stretching" spore prints. I always found it strange that spore sellers tended to sell either a syringe or a print capable of making 100's of syringes. But none seemed to sell partial spore prints, which could be sold cheaper, and syringes have more postage costs, and obviously other issues. I used to have a subscription to the TEO journal and you would get partial prints.

It would also help people trading and "free spore rings". A person could be extra careful making a single print which could be enough for 100 people to grow from, perhaps more.

Anyway the idea was to print directly onto tiny polystyrene balls or verm -perlite was also suggested. So the spores drop onto a bed of perlite and are then all shook up, distributing spores all over the perlite or verm. Then you send people 1 or 2 bits of perlite which they can drop on agar or into an LC, or it might possibly work in jars.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4536943

Some time after that thread a respected member called Agar was cutting up prints into tiny bits he called spore tabs
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5179609

This was also stretching prints, but not to the same degree, unless it was cut up far more finely. I never saw any progress on either ideas, perhaps there was?

-back to novel grows, I tried & failed to grow in a pouch of cooked rice before. The idea is you get a pouch of coocked rice in a supermarket, which is already sterile, but usally has too much water. You snip off a corner and stick in some polyfil or other filter material. You weigh the bag and look at the nutritional info and work out how much water it currently contains, and how much water you want in the bag to get it to the moisture level you want. Then you microwave the bag to drive off the excess moisture. While driving off the water it is steaming the polyfil filter to sterilize it, once steaming you turn down the power so steaming time is extended. The filter could be boiled up in water beforehand. The bag could perhaps be microwaved while sealed and turned off the moment you see the bag puffing up. This way when the corner is snipped off its already hot and you stick a hot filter in it right away.

The rice is of course expensive, but it could help some complete newbies, but it would be cool to see invitro pins in a commercial bag. Many bags have clear sections so light can get in.

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20802707 - 11/06/14 06:03 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Well I was trying new things a while back including my first cakes in years. Decided to mix the brf on the dry side, no dry verm layer, inoculated with a splash of LI and a grain jar lid. Even after 2 weeks of consolidation it didn't really shrink at all so I said screw the dunk, left it in the jar, cased with verm, and top fruited with the bottle mono's I got rolling right now. Cake is actually looking pretty decent so far :thumbup:

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20802799 - 11/06/14 06:20 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Pastywhyte said:
no dry verm layer, inoculated with a splash of LI and a grain jar lid.

interesting. I don't have experience with grain jars, but I assume this means you just removed the lid and shot the LI all over the entire cake?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates