Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTruBallin420
Marijuana User,Drug Lover
Loc: Maze and Blue
Re: We are alone. [Re: Shroomism]
    #2079604 - 11/07/03 02:16 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Shroomnoob

- I hope and pray that you come to realize that there is a God and he's just waiting up there for us. He's everywhere you just have to open your eyes,see, and believe. You'll really be missing out. I'm sorry for preaching to you....no..wait...actually I'm not sorry. But it's your life, you have to find the way. I'm just in a wonderful mood right now.

Peace and Love ya'll

Hope you find the way homie

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: We are alone. [Re: TruBallin420]
    #2079941 - 11/07/03 04:31 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

TruBallin420 said:
- I hope and pray that you come to realize that there is a God and he's just waiting up there for us. He's everywhere you just have to open your eyes,see, and believe. You'll really be missing out. I'm sorry for preaching to you....no..wait...actually I'm not sorry. But it's your life, you have to find the way. I'm just in a wonderful mood right now.

Hope you find the way homie

God is waiting up where for us?

And, by the way, all paths lead to One. There is no "The Way".
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
all watery worlds gestate skyseekers [Re: Scarfmeister]
    #2080172 - 11/07/03 06:57 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

~
~
alan watts said: as the ocean waves , the universe peoples
~
~
when you look into the cosmos, on some level, you are looking home...
~
~
googlesearch:
"time cube"
(a nice roger mcguinn song... (vocals, 5-string banjo, moog synth...) from his first solo album)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #2080268 - 11/07/03 08:02 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
The laws of physics state that with the aerodynamics of bumblebees, they are technically incapable of flight.

Im not a physicist, but i would like to know what law of physics says that a bumblebee cant fly. Please post a link.

Quote:

Going faster than the speed of light is a simple matter of entering hyperspace while simultaneously converting coarse-matter into fine-matter. I never watch Star Trek.

What your saying is that going faster than the speed of light is a simple matter of going faster than the speed of light.

Quote:

Why should we have direct proof of alien contact? You think that intelligent sentient life forms that had mastered interplanetary travel would want to make open contact with a civilization of heathens that wage war for fossil fuels, green paper, and power... couldn't even get along with each other, are stupid enough to play with nuclear weapons, and massacre innocents in the name of God? No. They are a lot smarter than that. No self-respecting alien would be caught dead associating with beings wading in pools of ignorance, arrogance, and self-righteousness like that. Open contact would be the dumbest move they could possibly make.

Your making an assumption about the morals, ethics, and evolutionary processes of life on other planets which is prolly invalid: there is no reason why they should be morally superior to us, especially if evolution works the same way (which it would have to, even if the biology and the chemistry is completely different). In fact a popular conspiracy theory holds that aliens are the ones fucking over the world's economy. I dont believe this, but if it were true, then those aliens could definitely not claim moral superiority over humans.

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
Re: We are alone. [Re: Annapurna1]
    #2080529 - 11/07/03 10:02 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: We are alone. [Re: baraka]
    #2080555 - 11/07/03 10:15 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

But wait didnt that site just say that with science one can prove how they fly? It said they just use special techniques to lift off and remain in flight.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: We are alone. [Re: d33p]
    #2080566 - 11/07/03 10:18 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

This isn't about the damned bumble bees. Actually, it is. Bumblebees are PROOF that we are not alone in this Universe.
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinejiva
dream serpent

Loc: everywhere all the time
    #2080570 - 11/07/03 10:20 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

It is possible that we (humans) are the height of complexity in the entire universe (in all universes!) and that the evolution to greater levels of complexity rests on our shoulders. That is the human experiment.

But it is a billion times more probable that life exists everywhere. As we can see on earth life isn't really that picky about where it lives. So maybe around another one of the stars in our galaxy (200-400 billion) there are appropriate conditions for life. If not there perhaps on one of the 3000 or so galaxies that the Hubble Space Telescope has checked out. Oh, the HST has only surveyed about 0.04% of the sky. So maybe in one of those ones that hasn't been checked out.

In either case, my opinion agrees with silversoul in that the universe it's self is alive and every part of it has a memory that dates back to our beginning... and maybe before that. And that we (and the multitudinous other living beings) are just growths out of it and reflections of it, but only a small part of an ever growing fractal.

--------------------
i am another you

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: We are alone. [Re: jiva]
    #2080577 - 11/07/03 10:22 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Hehe, welcome, jiva. Way to kick things off. I agree.

Everything is conscious on all sorts of levels. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Re: We are alone. [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2080593 - 11/07/03 10:26 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I just think the universe is a choatic system of subatomic particles which colide to form larger and larger things. Yet they are all governed by a set of rules. I dont think humans have yet discovered these true rules. Anything is possible just to bad most of us wont around to see it.

--------------------

bang bang

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#2080598 - 11/07/03 10:28 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

d33p said:
I just think the universe is a choatic system of subatomic particles which colide to form larger and larger things. Yet they are all governed by a set of rules. I dont think humans have yet discovered these true rules. Anything is possible just to bad most of us wont around to see it. 

Someday I might let you all know what these special rules are. Just don't hold your breath. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

#2080611 - 11/07/03 10:31 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Fireworks_god did you ever used to watch that show on nickolodeon called i think "my brother and me" where it followed a black family whose 2 sons basically got into mischief and they also had a very friend?

--------------------

bang bang

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#2080616 - 11/07/03 10:31 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Doesn't ring a bell.
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

#2080621 - 11/07/03 10:33 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Well one of the friend catch phrases was "dont hold your breath" and i knew that kid in real life. Whenever someone say that it just reminds me of him...o well.

--------------------

bang bang

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #2081117 - 11/07/03 01:23 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

yeah I'd like to know exactly what freak occurences? Like the nucleosynthesis that creates stars that happens all the time? Or is it the cycle of nature that is endlessly creating new forms of life? I'm stumped.

I was just pointing out that, if indeed the universe is infinite, there is no such thing as a freak occurence. In an infinite amount of time and space, anything can and eventually will happen. Doesn't the bell curve flatten out when the population is infinite?

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

Re: We are alone. [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2081477 - 11/07/03 03:46 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

"The laws of physics state that with the aerodynamics of bumblebees, they are technically incapable of flight. "

Actually their aerodynamics don't matter. It's all in the wings. They don't use lift in the traditional airplane-wing sense, they use the rapid beating of their wings. They could be any shape whatsoever, so long as they weighed the same their wings could buzz them around.

And remember the A-7 Avenger (i think I got that right, Korea / Vietnam era US jet)? It's a brick. You stick a big enough power source on a brick, and it'll fly. It might not generate any lift from its motion, but that's just something that enough power can overcome.

"if indeed the universe is infinite"

It's not exactly infinite.. but it's not exactly finite either. There's no center of the universe, and there's no edge.. and I forget the rest, I haven't read my Steven Hawking for a while now.

But yeah. Original poster duder, I agree. We're alone on this boring little planet. Moving faster than the speed of light is impossible.. travelling even a significant fraction is impossible really. The amount of energy it would require is... staggering.
If there IS a way to travel long distances across the universe it would lie in skipping around through wormholes of some sort. But of course. Who really knows if that's even possible.

So, yep. We're alone. If we do figure out how to travel through the stars, I wouldn't go betting on it being in any of our lifetimes. And 1000 years from now, no one will remember you ever existed. And there aint a thing wrong with that.

--------------------
i finally got around to making a sig
revel in its glory and quake in fear at its might
grar.

Invisiblemuhurgle
Turtles all theway down

Re: We are alone. [Re: Mushmonkey]
    #2082239 - 11/07/03 08:12 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Why would you have to travel anywhere? Just receiving a signal from somewhere would be sufficient to know that there is somebody out there.

Even finding bacteria or something on Mars or Europa would be sufficient. Then either life isn't too difficult to cook up, or life can travel in space (panspermia), or both. Combine this with the recent discovery of planets orbiting Sol like stars, and the chances are pretty good.

Btw, fungal spores are considered a probable form of panspermia. Some spores can be hardier and tougher than even the smallest bacteria. Fungi also seems to be one of the oldest forms of life on this planet. If life did evolve elsewhere and just travelled here, then our ancestors might be mushrooms :smile: 

--------------------
"To make this mundane world sublime
Take half a gram of phanerothyme."

Aldous Huxley

Offlinestudent
Stranger

Re: We are alone. [Re: muhurgle]
    #2082450 - 11/07/03 09:45 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

shroomnoob-
here are some numbers from my life in the Universe text book:
(gross approximations)
100 billion stars systems in our galaxy
100 billion galaxies in our Universe
----
so there are 10,000 billion star systems in our Universe.
10,000,000,000,000 star systems!

if we had the technology to look at each of these star systems and detect life, in say one second, it would take over 317,097 years to search the entire Universe

there is no way to ever know for sure if we are alone. no matter how hard we try, we will never see everything.
also the Universe is an estimated 12 billion years old. there might have been life long before we ever came around.
and because of the huge distances we are seeing very old light. a star 10 billion light years away might have developed life today, but we will not be able to see it for 10 billion years. or we could find a system today with life that died in the time it took that light to get here for us to detect.

what is your definition of life? the Universe and even our own solar system could be filled with life that we cannot detect. how do you see single celled life from astronomical distances?

the only proof we have that life does not exist elsewhere is from meteors and samples taken from other places. but those are an infintesimally small samples. Would looking at one rock outside prove that life exists on earth? no. should looking at a few rocks found in our solar system prove that life doesn't exist in our universe? no.

"you can't have no in your heart." - joe dirt

i will gladly give my text book away after this semester if any body wants to read it.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: We are alone. [Re: Scarfmeister]
    #2082457 - 11/07/03 09:48 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

"We are A Liiii ii ii ii i ii ive"  :laugh:

--------------------
What?

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: We are alone. [Re: student]
    #2082482 - 11/07/03 09:54 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags