Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Loc: KY
what's going on here - help with abortion, please
    #2077616 - 11/06/03 06:08 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

my friend has this fruiting cake of koh samui. he noticed that all the currently-pinning fruits are aborting, leaving him somewhat baffled

the environmental conditions are: upper upper 60's - some low 70's, very high humidity (lots of condensation on air-tight terrarium), and about 15 hours of daylight mixed with flourescent and a few hours of blue light. with all the variables seemingly taken care of, and no signs of contams whatsoever, WHY are these koh samui fruits aborting right before they fully develop their veil and open up (they are not aborting as mere pins, but more or less as "adolescent" fruits so-to-speak).

as i said, the caps are turning black on these specimens, which is interesting and concerning because several of the fruits that did make it to maturity also turned black (just the caps), but only after opening up. now, however, they are not even making it to adulthood, they're turning black before that!

one thought that ocurred to me is temperature. during the day he has it averaging around 69. but at night, the temperature probably drops many degrees (it's cold in minnesota). given that koh samui is from thailand, is it possible that they are aborting because 60-degree temps are not nearly as warm as their tropical origin?

any possibility: the light sources come from all different directions. is it possible to confuse the fruits to the point of abortion? i always that that multi-source lighting would just make them grow a bit haphazardly without much sense of direction. but, could such a situation actually cause aborts?

anyone have any ideas, questions, comments, advice, suggestions? my friend has done this sort of thing before and cannot figure out what could be the culprit.

thanks tremendously, and lotsa peace.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZwieback0
Baby Bread
 User Gallery

Re: what's going on here - help with abortion, please [Re: TerrapinSunrise]
    #2077748 - 11/06/03 06:51 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Nope. Temp seems fine. 60 isnt too cold. And light doesn't cause abhorts. Condensation happens when the inside of the terrarium is hotter than the outside. I'm guessing air exchange would be the problem..

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: what's going on here - help with abortion, please [Re: Zwieback0]
    #2077767 - 11/06/03 06:55 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

help with abortion, please

haha

Offlineslack
Stranger

Re: what's going on here - help with abortion, please [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2077826 - 11/06/03 07:14 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Dude, are they all occupying the same space? Are you refering to a current flush where you have a few mature fruits and lots of immature ones near each other? A pic would help but it sounds like spores from the open fruits are drifting around getting everywhere and making a general mess of the place. If thats the case, let em grow.

--------------------

"I doubt, therefore I might be"

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: what's going on here - help with abortion, please [Re: slack]
    #2078018 - 11/06/03 08:01 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Listen to zwieback. Air exchange is almost always the problem. I don't understand why it's not stressed more often. Newbs are way too concerned with humidity. How often do you fan? I bet it's not enough. I say fan 5-7 times a day, 3 at the least. The temperature may be a problem. I've never worked with koh samui, but I've had strains fruit fine into the upper 60s. It's still possible though. Light is not your problem. I say fan, fan, fan.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

Offlineslack
Stranger

Re: what's going on here - help with abortion, please [Re: Demiurge]
    #2078075 - 11/06/03 08:24 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

From what I understand this is what a healthy batch of koh samui should look like.     :loveeyes:

--------------------

"I doubt, therefore I might be"

InvisibleTRS
The SneakyMastermind
Re: what's going on here - help with abortion, please [Re: slack]
    #2078833 - 11/06/03 11:56 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

(lots of condensation on air-tight terrarium). that might be the problem. get some fresh air in there.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation