Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewingnutx
Revisionist Thoughts on the War on Iraq
    #2076665 - 11/06/03 12:15 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Thursday, 6, November, 2003 (11, Ramadhan, 1424)
ArabNews.com

Revisionist Thoughts on the War on Iraq
Fawaz Turki, disinherited@yahoo.com ?

Is it too early to adopt a revisionist view of the US war in Iraq and for this column to admit its mistake in having vehemently opposed it from the outset?

At issue here is whether the Iraqi people have benefited from the overthrow of the Baathist regime and whether the American occupation will eventually benefit their country even more. I?m convinced ? and berate me here from your patriotic bleachers, if you must ? that what we have seen in the land between the Tigris and the Euphrates in recent months may turn out to be the most serendipitous event in its modern history.

One need offer no apology for saying that the supreme virtue of this war is that Saddam Hussein was gotten rid of. Period. The very man who had established arguably the closest approximation of a genuine fascist state in the Arab world, that sustained itself on fear, repression, genocide, cult of personality and wanton murder ? a state whose law was that those who rule are the law.

One doesn?t become a revisionist in a vacuum. I pore over material from various media sources about the mass graves unearthed all over Iraq, particularly those discovered in uncounted pits in the south, where Saddam had crushed a rebellion there in 1991 with genocidal ferocity, and I turn away in nauseated disbelief. Then there?s the UN Special Rapporteur?s September 2001 report about the execution of 4,000 prisoners at Abu Ghraib?s prison in 1984, and 3,000 others at the Mahjar prison between 1993 and 1998. And you ask how a regime could become so monstrous, so whisked clean of human decency.

Last Saturday, the Washington Post?s Peter Finn filed a gut-wrenching report about Baghdad?s Kadimiyah High School, where during the 1990s kids were being dragged off for questioning by members of the Mokhabarat for writing boyish anti-Saddam graffiti on their walls, such as ?Down with Saddam? ? and never returned home. Only now are their families, like other families of the ?disappeared? speaking up, asking questions and demanding to know how and why their children were killed and where they are buried. One of the ancillary byproducts of the US invasion of Iraq was the ouster of Saddam and the obliteration, clearly forever, of the totalitarian dungeon that he had turned his country into.

That, in my book, is enough to warrant extending my support for that invasion and for Washington?s projected plans to rebuild the country.

Washington may not succeed in turning Iraq into a ?beacon of democracy? but it will succeed, after all is said and done, in turning it into a society of laws and institutions where citizens, along with high-school kids, are protected against arbitrary arrest, incarceration, torture and execution.

Look, I have no illusions about the shenanigans and hypocrisies of a big power like the US, including its neocon ideologues, who are more cons than neos. Lest we forget, at the height of Saddam?s bloody reach in the 1980s, which saw the Halabja atrocities, Washington not only uttered nary a word of criticism of the Iraqi leader, let alone called for his overthrow, but provided him with political, military and economic assistance that, in effect, underwrote his survival and made possible the very repression that American officials now claim they want to banish forever from the land.

All true. Yet, the US may, just may, end up doing in Iraq what it did in war-ravaged European countries under the Marshall Plan. And if it doesn?t, well, what would Iraqis have lost other than the ritual terror of life under a dictator who had splintered their society into raw fragments of fear, hysteria and self-denial ? a man who insisted that third graders learn songs whose lyrics lauded him with lines such as ?when he passes near, the roses celebrate.?

No, I don?t believe that by going to war, America had dark designs on Iraq?s oil or pursued an equally dark conspiracy to ?help Israel.? I believe that the US, perhaps willy-nilly, will end up helping Iraqis regain their human sanity, their social composure and the national will to rebuild their devastated nation.

And no, it?s not too early to adopt a revisionist view of the US war in Iraq, or too late for a columnist to say he was wrong all along.

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=7&section=0&article=34682&d=6&m=11&y=2003

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: Revisionist Thoughts on the War on Iraq [Re: wingnutx]
    #2077428 - 11/06/03 04:52 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Nobody knows for certain whats going to happen in Iraq in the next few years. I guess we could remain optimistic, But the Iraqis and American soldiers stationed there are going to go through a lot of suffering untill we can get it fixed.

Its a massive catch-22. A good metaphor for Iraq has got to be the Chinese Fingertrap Easy to stick your finger in it. Hard as hell to pull it out.

Offlinewingnutx
Re: Revisionist Thoughts on the War on Iraq [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #2081037 - 11/07/03 03:01 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

This is interesting mostly because of it's source.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion