Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineswilk2012
Stranger
The Guardian
    #2076111 - 11/06/03 05:46 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I've tripped for many years now and have had experiences covering all the main psychedelics with the exception of the scolopamine based ones, which I have no desire venturing into.

I hope what I'm about to write won't come across as lame, but I'll try my best. This involves mainly the tryptamine class of hallucinogens. It's ultra common for people to have good trips with epiphanies involving their favourite music, memories, and other elements that convey beauty, awe, terror, insight, you know the litany. I myself have had many such experiences.

However, of late, I've been increasingly intrigued by the 'inner voice of the Logos' that McKenna speaks of, or the 'ally', as described by Don Juan.
From what I know, these phenomena seem to manifest themselves below the threshold of the known. Which means that things we 'know', such as music, our favourite songs, visuals,maybe even our own personalities, are actually distractions from facing that unknown personage in the mushroom.
Don Juan had told Carlos that he had to overcome The Guardian when facing the mushroom before he could learn more. For Carlos, the Guardian was a 100-foot tall gnat. But that doesnt mean the guardian is necessarily something terrifying. The Guardian could be just as beautiful. Rather, the Guardian is anything that we know. Carlos was told that once he overcomes the Guardian, it will still be there in the same form, but it would not hold power over him.

Many trip reports I read seem to describe the tactile, visual, fun or even psychological aspects of a trip. But I'm wondering if anyone has had a trip where all these things are looked beyond, and then see what's beneath that.

I dont even know if such an experience can be shared in words should anyone have had it, hence my disclaimer that this post might sound lame. But if anyone has anything to offer on this, I'd be most glad to hear it.

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleperuvian spark
Stranger

Re: The Guardian [Re: swilk2012]
    #2076701 - 11/06/03 12:28 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

The guardian that I had to overcome was my own fear. Lots of people seem to have this "thing" that holds them back from what they truly want or from who they really are. I think that is what the guardian is. It keeps fearful people in check so that they don't cross that line into the unknown before they are ready to cross it. In the Castaneda book, Don Juan convinced Carlos that it was a bug, but it really could have been anything he wanted it to be. It was what the gnat represented that was important to the story.

--------------------
"The only unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain and everything is changeable."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology