Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: Rank David Lynch movies! [Re: Me_Roy]
    #20863693 - 11/20/14 02:39 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Me_Roy said:
Quote:

Viveka said:
I have never felt my skin crawl from watching a movie the way that one has done many times. It's subtle but it has a few scenes that I would consider probably the most chilling moments I've experienced in a film, i.e.: the first scene at Winkie's where the guy's describing his dream and then after when they go out behind the building; when Louise Bonner shows up at the door; the Silencio moment or hell even stuff like the way the two old folks seem to congratulate each other on some hidden sinister deed in the back of the car right after they part ways with Betty at the airport(even though I can't really figure out what the intent of showing that exchange is supposed to be...), hell after you've seen it a few times the whole thing is alternating chills and tingles. Other scenes are funny and just plain awesome("What's the photo for?").

Yes yes yesyesyes.

I once watched that Winkies scene 20+ times in a row. It continued to give me chills through the last. I honestly think that much of its effect comes from the sound accompanying the homeless man's entrance.

Haha yeah I did something similar, from the point where they're coming down the stairs, trying to get inside both their heads as I'm watching, until the last moment. I was trying to figure out what the most striking thing about that climax is and I think it's the color of those eyes.....fuck I just watched it real quick on youtube and it gave me a major chill. Yeah the sound design is definitely key too. It must be fun but also really challenging to do foley on a Lynch film, especially alongside Badalamenti's compelling yet delicate soundtrack. I wonder how much of a sound like that is done by Lynch directly alongside Badalamenti, it's practically a musical element.

Actually for me the Winkie's scene is just as hair raising when they're inside and the guy is describing his two dreams. There's also something about Mullholand Drive, that you feel in that scene especially, that relates to the fact that it was originally made for TV. So it has this kinda low key feel in the screenplay and it has a certain kind of texture like daytime television, but then the most astonishing things happen.

Speaking of the guy behind Winkie's, what are your thoughts about the elderly couple? Their appearances might be the most obscure part of the film for me but they sure do make me want to know what they're up to! Although Lynch wouldn't want us discussing it, lol. I read something once where he said talking about a movie ruins the magic. He probably just doesn't want people coming to terms with how sketchy his stuff is, haha. Hey, he works from the subconscious, what can really be said? So many symbols and archetypes...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMe_Roy
Stranger
Re: Rank David Lynch movies! [Re: Viveka]
    #20864963 - 11/20/14 11:00 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for reminding me that Lynch originally intended Mulholland Drive as a TV series. Imagine that -- it would have been wonderful.

I believe I read something years ago that integrated the elderly couple into an overall interpretation of the film, but I remember that part as not having been terribly compelling.

More generally, I like how Lynch's films are not seamless. Though the films beg 'decoding,' there are always signifiers that don't seem to be part of that code.

Offlinemy3rdeye
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Rank David Lynch movies! [Re: Me_Roy]
    #20873467 - 11/22/14 03:40 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Just watched Inland Empire on LSD on other day and I like it best out of the lost highway, mullholland drive trilogy. I liked Lost highway 2nd best. Mullholland drive was still great. I haven't seen the others in long time, I am going to grab Blue Velvet and Eraserhead. I haven't seen wild at heart since it was on big screen, I remember liking it.
I see on IMDB that Lynch has a bunch of new Twin Peaks episodes due to be broadcast in 2016. I never got into the original show as back then there was no PVR and Lynch is confusing enough without missing episodes. I will probably watch it all one day.

OfflineKremrBigSikter
Spränger Språnger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Rank David Lynch movies! [Re: my3rdeye]
    #20873572 - 11/22/14 06:05 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Mulholland Dr
Lost Highway
Wild at Heart
Blue Velvet
Eraserhead
Dune
Inland Empire

IE to me just feels like Mulholland Drive but sloppier, longer and way worse aesthetics (maybe there's a point to the digital camcorder look, but I don't get it). Also Laura Dern is just awkward in it, the whole time through.

--------------------
I have pneumonia :pm:

Offlineusulpsychonaut
Male

Loc: Northland, New Zealand. Flag
Re: Rank David Lynch movies! [Re: KremrBigSikter]
    #20877768 - 11/23/14 01:56 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I repeat watch Fire Walk With Me, Dune, Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Inland Empire, Wild At Heart, Eraserhead and Blue Velvet every couple of years. These are all equally my favorite movies.

Offlinemikeisapro
Pro
Re: Rank David Lynch movies! [Re: usulpsychonaut]
    #20954689 - 12/09/14 07:56 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Speaking of the guy behind Winkie's, what are your thoughts about the elderly couple? Their appearances might be the most obscure part of the film for me but they sure do make me want to know what they're up to!

The old people are most likely Diane's real grandparents. In her dream, they are very supportive of her being an actor, so in real life they probably were not supportive of this.

There may be incest and abuse from the grandfather, and general neglect from the grandmother (in her dream as Betty, her grandmother not only supports her lifestyle but allows her to live in her apartment)

At the end, right before suicide, Diane imagines the two coming into her room and scaring the hell out of her. They represents her deepest fears about failing as an actress and being humiliated, as well as possibly a fear that the two investigators will find out about her (possible) murder, and generally her true feelings about her grandparents, as unsupportive and disapproving, judgemental monsters.

--------------------
Life without drugs lacks substance(s).

Offlinemikeisapro
Pro
Re: Rank David Lynch movies! [Re: mikeisapro]
    #20954713 - 12/09/14 08:00 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

IE to me just feels like Mulholland Drive but sloppier, longer and way worse aesthetics (maybe there's a point to the digital camcorder look, but I don't get it). Also Laura Dern is just awkward in it, the whole time through.

Dude, wow.

The 3 hours flew by for me. Aesthetically, it's FAR superior to MD, which was tame and highly polished.

The point of the handheld camera was greater control over his work, as well as a more intimate and even voyeuristic portrayal of the actors.

Laura Dern is far from awkward, but I understand what you mean, kinda. She didn't look so pretty as the actors in Mullholland, so I guess that's why you think it was uglier. But her performance is incredible in the film, much more compex and wide-ranged compared to the performances in MD.

Quote:

I repeat watch Fire Walk With Me, Dune, Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Inland Empire, Wild At Heart, Eraserhead and Blue Velvet every couple of years. These are all equally my favorite movies.

Yep, I do the same. With the exception of Dune.

--------------------
Life without drugs lacks substance(s).

Offlinewyrdjoy23
Tricho Druid
Male User Gallery

#20955441 - 12/09/14 11:24 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

1. Inland Empire
2. Mulholland Drive
3. Lost Highway
4. Fire Walk with Me
5. Eraserhead
6. Dune

I still don't understand a lot of what was going on in Inland Empire but that movie is so powerful. It's been a few years since I watched it, maybe I'll do so again this weekend.

And this is the first I've heard their making new Twin Peaks!! Much excite!

InvisibleJufin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Rank David Lynch movies! [Re: wyrdjoy23]
    #21059751 - 01/03/15 08:20 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

So I watched Mulholland Drive yesterday for the first time.  I could of watched it again straight away.  Lynch has got me interested in films again.

InvisibleSoupSandwich
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Lost
Re: Rank David Lynch movies! [Re: Jufin]
    #21072049 - 01/05/15 04:29 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

DUNE!!...was pretty awesome right up until the end.
Seems he just ran out of money / time and threw together a big fight sequence. :lol:

Then again I prefered Straight Story to most of his more 'kooky spooky' stuff.

Offlineclock_of_omens
razzle them dazzle them
I'm a teapot

Re: Rank David Lynch movies! [Re: SoupSandwich]
    #21072088 - 01/05/15 04:37 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

He didn't have full control over Dune. The producers put together the final cut.

InvisibleSoupSandwich
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Lost
Re: Rank David Lynch movies! [Re: clock_of_omens]
    #21072136 - 01/05/15 04:49 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I didn't know that. Thanks.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Rank David Lynch movies! [Re: SoupSandwich]
    #21073018 - 01/05/15 07:16 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I thought so much of that movie was bullshit (especially that stupid weapon) because I have always held the book to be brilliant in so many ways but I suppose all that could transfer to the screen was a shoot 'em up.  Aside from that I loved the look, especially the Navigators.

--------------------

Offlineclock_of_omens
razzle them dazzle them
I'm a teapot

Re: Rank David Lynch movies! [Re: zappaisgod]
    #21074306 - 01/05/15 10:31 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I haven't fully read the book yet. I got about 200 pages in, I really need to finish it at some point. It's also been a while since I've seen the movie, so I don't remember it too well. Jodorowsky's version would have been crazy.

Offlinelowbrow
Paddy Time!!!!
Male

#21075284 - 01/06/15 04:19 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
I thought so much of that movie was bullshit (especially that stupid weapon) because I have always held the book to be brilliant in so many ways but I suppose all that could transfer to the screen was a shoot 'em up.  Aside from that I loved the look, especially the Navigators.

If you haven't seen the sci-fi channel version, you might like it, its more faithful to the book.

--------------------
Amanita86 said:
Sui is trying to mod right now.  Kinda like a newborn calf tryin ta stand fer the first time ain’t it..

InvisibleJufin
Male User Gallery

#22991467 - 03/10/16 07:32 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mikeisapro said:
Quote:

Brian Jones said:

I did not Like Fire Walk With Me and thought it was very weak compared to the TV show. Lynch was operating on a low budget, and it is very apparent here. Plus what exactly was the point after you already know what the deal was with Leland and Bob.

Man, I'm going to put FWWM higher on the list after I thought about it last night.

Dude, Fire was an awesome horror movie. Even though I knew that BOB was Leland (actually it's ambiguous, BOB could truly be a demon that possesses Leland, but it doesn't matter. Whether BOB is really Leland or an outside entity, it is extremely creepy to imagine your own father coming in your window and raping you at night)

I think FWWM is underrated. I'm going to change it's position from 7 to 6. I definitely enjoyed it more than The Straight Story, although they are completely different types of film.

For you to say that the TV show was "much stronger" than the film, shows me that you are not at all a fan of Lynch. The film is more Lynchian than the TV show by default, as the show had several other writers and directors who added a lot of mainstream stuff to the Lynchian ideas. I thought the film was different than the show, not necessarily better or worse. Certainly not "much weaker"!

What I love about Lynch is that, while his films aren't exclusively genre pictures (unless you call "surreal" a genre), he incorporates multiple genres in them. Most notably mystery, fantasy, horror, neo-noir, tragedy, and occasionally comedy (in that order)

He does horror better than the vast majority of "horror" movies. I do not say this lightly, as I am indeed a fan of horror.

Quote:

2. Lost Highway - pure surrealist grit
3. Eraserhead - pure surrealist grit

Of course they are...but I'm not sure what you think about these films without any further explication...

To have the same exact labelling for both films is odd, as they are quite different. Lost Highway was one of his later "puzzle films" or "identity pictures" that I talk about in the second post.

I could see calling Eraserhead "pure, surrealist, grit" to be appropriate though. Eraserhead is definitely more surreal than LH (that is, more "purely surreal") and it has a gritty tone to it for sure.

I just watched FWWM in a cinema, and oh my god, I think it's my favourite one yet.  It's an absolute masterpiece.  It makes other horror movies silly, tame, hollow.  This is dream-state dread embodied into film.  This movie rocked my world.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Rank David Lynch movies! [Re: Jufin]
    #22993305 - 03/10/16 04:59 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I never considered it horror.

--------------------

InvisibleJufin
Male User Gallery

#22993647 - 03/10/16 06:28 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I don't consider it straight up horror either, but it almost is.  My point was is that whatever the genre you want to call it, it still dwarfs any horror movie I've seen in giving that feeling of dread, that horribly wonderful feeling.

OfflineDeadmaker
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Rank David Lynch movies! [Re: mikeisapro] * 1
    #23022671 - 03/19/16 08:43 AM (8 years, 30 days ago)

It has been a very long time since I have seen a few of these, but I would list them in this order:

Blue Velvet (Linear as it may be, Dennis Hopper puts this one on the top for me)
Lost Highway
The Elephant Man
Eraserhead
Muholland Drive
Wild At Heart
Fire Walk With Me
Dune
Inland Empire
The Straight Story

Everything after Eraserhead is really interchangeable for me. I found it really tough to rank those and would probably have a different order if I ranked them again 5 minutes from now.

Offlineviraldrome
 User Gallery

Loc: Parts Unknown
Re: Rank David Lynch movies! [Re: mikeisapro] * 1
    #28506350 - 10/16/23 03:38 AM (5 months, 28 days ago)

From best to worst

Twin peaks season 3
Mulholland Drive
Eraserhead
Blue Velvet
Twin Peaks season 1/2
Lost Highway
Wild at Heart
Elephant man
Inland Empire
Twin Peaks FWWM
Dune
Straight Story

--------------------
Lysergamides I have tried so far: 1P-LSD, 1cP-LSD, ALD-52, AL-LAD, LSZ, ETH-LAD, MIPLA, EIPLA, 1cP-AL-LAD

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order