Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMrDobolina
Stranger
Compost & Penis Envy?
    #2073865 - 11/05/03 04:05 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Hello all. This is my first post. I have tried, in vain, not to post because I am always usually able to find my answers in the FAQ and elsewhere on the site.
My cockatiels love to grow mushrooms. For some reason, they stay up all-night, preparing jars and practicing sanitary mycological techniques.
Anyway, they decided, I guess, that they needed to try compost. So they ordered some online from hmc, and innoc'd some jars w/ penis envy. I told them we should have gone with the koh samui super-strain, but they didn't listen.
I heard a lot of squawking coming from their cage this morning, and ran out to the den to find them all huddled around this large rubbermaid bin filled with compost. It seems that all of their jars, but one, had failed. They used very fine vermiculite this time, and the failures really pissed them off. No contamination, just no growth at all. I told them that innoculating more jars would take more time, and they wouldn't hear of it. So they took their one pint-size jar to 10 lbs of compost and mixed it in. Needless to say, the one jar didn't spread out very far.
My cockatiels are concerned that this one jar will not be enough. I happen to agree. It has been 3 days now, and there is definately some growth going on in there... but nothing like I have seen on some of the posts here.
Any advice? Will this work? Also, I am confused with the term "casing." Is that what my cockatiels are doing here? I mean, they just crumbled the cake and mixed it in, making sure none of it was exposed. Is this "casing?"

Thanks in advance for any help! My cockatiels appreciate it!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Re: Compost & Penis Envy? [Re: MrDobolina]
    #2073870 - 11/05/03 04:06 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

You laoded up the compsot into jars and inoculated?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip
I'm a teapot

Deleted [Re: SixCee]
    #2073885 - 11/05/03 04:11 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator

OfflineMrDobolina
Stranger
Re: Compost & Penis Envy? [Re: SixCee]
    #2073887 - 11/05/03 04:12 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

No, the jar were innoculated, colonized, and then the birds crumbled the colonized jars into small pieces. Then they mixed it into the compost in the rubbermaid bin.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2073890 - 11/05/03 04:14 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

>Also, I am confused with the term "casing." Is that what my cockatiels are doing here? I mean, they just crumbled the cake and mixed it in, making sure none of it was exposed. Is this "casing?"

casing is adding a moist, non-nutritious layer to the top before fruiting. it helps the myc stay moist, protected and happy. what you're describing, where you mix up thoroughly colonised stuff with thoroughly non-colonised (but delicious) stuff that has been pasteurised in advance, is called 'spawning'. the white stuff you mix in is called 'spawn'. cool, eh? :tongue:

spawn :lol: 

--------------------
buh

OfflineMrDobolina
Stranger
Re: Compost & Penis Envy? [Re: shirley knott]
    #2073898 - 11/05/03 04:15 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Oh wow. So are my cockatiels in for dissapointment?

OfflineMrDobolina
Stranger
    #2073916 - 11/05/03 04:21 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Can anyone tell me what I should do to get my cockatiels out of this mess that they've gotten themselves into? Their feathers are really ruffled over this.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2073920 - 11/05/03 04:23 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

never. your cockatiels have come to the right place. if they don't get it right this time, we guarantee they will the next - this place is chock full of helpers  :laugh:

was the compost pasteurised? you say you see some growth - gotta camera by any chance?

i've grown probably over 50 jars of green powder so far - the whole hobby is a constant battle! celebrate every creation of life, don't worry if the 'wrong' one gets in there first sometimes.

have a w00t to get you going:

--------------------
buh

Offlineforevrgrounded98
Stranger

#2073925 - 11/05/03 04:24 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

It says in one of the FAQ's that the ratio of spawn to bulk substrate should be 1:5 and someone else on here told me it was okay to dilute all the way down to 1:10 but not to go any lower than that, so I would say that if it were gonna colonize at all, its gonna take a long time. Just try to keep your mixture between 80-84*F (dont go over 86*F)and a RH of 70% or less. Good luck
-matt

--------------------
"If I don't see ya before the end of this one, I'll meet ya in the next one and don't be late" - Jimi Hendrix

OfflineMrDobolina
Stranger
Re: Compost & Penis Envy? [Re: shirley knott]
    #2073933 - 11/05/03 04:26 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

No camera at the moment.  I can describe it though... it looks like a pile of dirt, with a few spots of fuzzy white poking through in different placed.  I guess what my cockatiels need to know is... is this going to work?
Thanks for the woot :smile:

OfflineMrDobolina
Stranger
    #2074010 - 11/05/03 04:46 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

The compost was pastuerized... they ordered from hmc, which claims that it comes pre-pasteurized. Based on reviews from others on this board, that does seem to be the case.
And wow... this compost is dense stuff... definately "earthy." The humidity, I believe is good. Someone told me that I really don't have to worry about humidity with the compost, as it will supply all the moisture it needs. Is this true?

Is this "concotion" that my birds have made going to sprout mushrooms? Does anyone else do it like this?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate