Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegarbage

psychoactive drugs and mental illness.
    #2073156 - 11/05/03 12:20 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

it has been warned on many occasions that psychoactive drugs can precipitate neuroses or psychoses in those who are already at risk. and more importantly, research now indicates that marijuana use increases the risk of depression, as well as schizophrenia. has anyone experienced or know someone that has become more ill due to psychoactive drugs?

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0503c.shtml

--------------------
  Vaporbrothers :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAuroricDistortions
~~~~~~~
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Polar Springs
Re: psychoactive drugs and mental illness. [Re: garbage]
    #2073269 - 11/05/03 01:00 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

This is a debated topic, there is not a definite answer yet that I'm aware of; I have found that certain drugs affect my mental affects in different ways. Some say that pot can worsen pre-existing depression, but only temporarily (provided they stop smoking). IMO, steer clear of stimulant drugs, especially amphetamines and cocaine, if you have mental problems. No one I know has gone 'crazy' because of moderate drug use, but my Rx amphetamine salts have taken me very close, and a very good friend went through cocaine psychosis. Still, I think that drugs, because of their stressful nature (good or bad), could precipitate a latent mental illness. I believe that stories like that are biased, because a healthy individual could have e.g. latent schizophrenia and a bad LSD trip could be the stress needed for a schizophrenic break. But everyone reacts differently to psychoactives. I have a number of mental ailments and have not had problems with psychoactive use - but I am very cautious. Above all, these ramblings are all personal opinion, and do not take them as facts. I haven't studied psychology in quite some time, and I'm far from any kind of doctor.

--------------------

Offlinegarbage

Re: psychoactive drugs and mental illness. [Re: AuroricDistortions]
    #2073518 - 11/05/03 02:16 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

a doctor is just going to say stay away from drugs, period. its nice to hear from personal experiences though, thanks.

--------------------
  Vaporbrothers :smile:

OfflineBhairabas
Stranger

Loc: Toronto Canada
    #2074371 - 11/05/03 06:34 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I have a friend who smoked too much opium who introduces himself as Robert plant and Jim morrison.. He never say's anything that really makes any sense.. Another friend of mine went nuts from doing too much coke and heroin and in a similar fashion.. He's in the psyke ward now..

OfflineAntoine_Roquetin
Stranger
    #2074827 - 11/05/03 08:23 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

A little history on my own psychological issues and drug use...

I started smoking weed a couple years ago, on an on-and-off basis, probably a total of about 40 times in all. I had a couple of extremely intense experiences and near/total ego loss after smoking. I'm not sure if what I smoked was dipped or laced or whatever, but my experience was pretty fucked up and terrifying.

Fast forward to 7-8 months ago. I had stopped smoking for a few months, when one day after school my friends and I stopped by another friend's house to pick up some bud for them. They smoked a bowl or two, I abstained as usual, but I did catch a pretty strong odor of bud smoke. Once I got back to the car I started thinking about what it was like to be high, and instantly I started "feeling it". I thought that I had inhaled some second hand and was possibly experiencing some type of contact high. I was kind of tweaked out by the whole thing but I thought it would pass. Boy was I wrong..

The next day I woke up and realized that I felt extremely strange. The closest thing I can relate it to was feeling stoned. I felt like I was living in a dreamworld, like a character in a movie. I couldn't meet my own eyes in the mirror, people's faces looked cartoonish. It was absolutely horrifying. I had never been in such a terrible state in my entire life. Honestly it's impossible to describe, but imagine everything seeming INTENSELY unreal. There was a layer of static over my vision that made things ever more fucked up and prevented me from being able to read like I once could.Things get so strange and surreal that I get extremely panicked like I was having a bad trip, that's how intense the feeling is. Eventually I told my parents after the symptoms persisted a couple days, and my dad did some research. He found information on a condition called "depersonalization" or "derealization". It's a dissociative disorder, and there's no conclusive proof on the causes, but many sufferers cite marijuana. www.DEPERSONALIZATION.INFO is a good site that describes things better than I can. "Depersonalization Disorder is characterized by a persistent or recurrent feeling of being detatched from one's mental processes or body that is accompanied by intact reality testing."

Anyway it's lasted about 7 months now, and honestly I can't see it ever going away. It's reduced my life to something pretty terrible. I consider it being sentenced to an early death in many ways. I've see multiple shrinks, taken all kinds of drugs, undergone hypnotherapy, and nothing has helped so far. But I'm hopeful for the future.

Please keep in mind that I have no ill feelings towards drugs of any kind, especially weed. I loved getting high with my friends and I'd give anything to do it again. I support exploration into the world of drugs, but it's my opinion that it can lead to some conditions in people who have a predisposition to mental illness.

Thanks for reading,

Logan

Invisiblejtseaweed
Stranger

Loc: in the middle of everywhe...
Re: psychoactive drugs and mental illness. [Re: Antoine_Roquetin]
    #2075531 - 11/05/03 11:25 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I am bi polar and on medication and i smoke pot daily and eat mushrooms when they are in season. I try to stay away from drugs like ectasy, meth, coke, and so on. i dont find that it messes anything up. I guess because im so used to it now.

--------------------

buisness is kickin yo butt

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: psychoactive drugs and mental illness. [Re: Antoine_Roquetin]
    #2075980 - 11/06/03 02:04 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the story, but I'm puzzled.
You would have to inhale a fuckload of second hand smoke to get the teeniest bit high. Do you really think your condition is caused by marijuana?

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: psychoactive drugs and mental illness. [Re: zeta]
    #2076090 - 11/06/03 03:20 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

No disrespect to the user,but from their post I think it's apparent they suffer from a severe anxiety disorder. People like this (myself included) can get blown away from contact highs. I remember one day when Papaver was tripping off some 'cid and I felt like I was tripping just from reading his altered style of speaking.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
Re: psychoactive drugs and mental illness. [Re: monoamine]
    #2076129 - 11/06/03 04:01 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

post deleted by nubious.

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

Edited by nubious (07/11/05 06:38 PM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: psychoactive drugs and mental illness. [Re: nubious]
    #2076587 - 11/06/03 09:35 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Jaw clenching is due to an od of the drug to where it ceomces toxic to the bopdy. At the correct clinical doasage you would not get the jaw clenching effects. The ddifference between ex and mda is thatt on MDA you take you clothes off and fu k for 8-10 houyrs and on X yuou hug and tell everyone hopw beautioful every thing is and how beautiful you are and they are and so on and so forth. Wthe eye flickers are very common on both drugs. but their is a physical limit. People who do this shit more than onece a week are already abnusing their bodies by trying to feel what they felt the o first time they triped on x. IT doesn't happen because i you build a very fast tolerance tot he phenylethylamines in your system.

mj

OfflineAntoine_Roquetin
Stranger
    #2076592 - 11/06/03 09:38 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

There's no doubt that anxiety plays a part in it, it plays a part in all dissociative disorders. I'm not sure if it was "caused" by weed, but I think it may have been precipitated by it, my already-heightened sense of perception was taken to an uncomfortable level by experience of intense highs. I realize I wasn't actually stoned from the second hand smoke, but the smell triggered *memories* of being stoned, and my mind took it from there. I don't know if I would've gone on living without depersonalization even if I had never touched weed. I have a feeling that smoking, or getting my mind blown as hard as it was at times, definitely didn't help my distorted sense of reality.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2076654 - 11/06/03 10:10 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

it has been warned on many occasions that psychoactive drugs can precipitate neuroses or psychoses in those who are already at risk.

Important thing in this is "those who already at risk". None of the recreational drugs are going to affect someone with a stable character and mind. If you're already ill, then drugs might make it worse, going to work might make it worse, breaking up with your girlfriend might make it worse etc.

But if you're stable to begin with and sensible about your use - forget about it. There's nothing to worry about.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
Re: psychoactive drugs and mental illness. [Re: Xlea321]
    #2077299 - 11/06/03 02:03 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

It's been studied that people with extrodanary gifts are borderline "mentally ill", they just adapted to it better than others. Einstein is a prime example. For drugs to "trigger" these things in people, it's only fueling the creative genious they already posses.

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

Offlineangryjslice
now with 20%more anger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #2077349 - 11/06/03 02:18 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i suffer from acute schizophrenia, and i feel quite dissociated every day. the psychologyst and drug counseler i went to attribute this to my extensive abuse of dxm (2 or 3 times a week for a year in doses well over 750mgs), my extensive use of lsd in a short time frame, and a few traumatic events including seeing my girlfriend at the time crash on a bicycle at about 40 mph on some far back road, and just sitting there holding her for about 10 minutes before anyone drove by, while she was going into seisures and bleeding of her face. now that happend in the middle of my heaviest period of drug use. well all in all, i dont really mind the little bit of schizo and dissociation that i aquired, i feel like im almost tripping everyday. i only get visual hallucinations probably 2 or 3 times a week, but they dont bother me, and usually only last a few seconds.
i still do all the drugs i used to and more, but now i wait longer in between doing them.

~JSlice~

--------------------

OfflineFlare
journeyman
    #2077419 - 11/06/03 02:48 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

hey angryjslice whats schizoprhenia like... cuase after taking shrooms that scared the hell outta me.. i ask myself questions.. then answer them right away in my head dunno wat it is pretty werid tho... only when im like in thought.. when im active doing somehting things r ok..

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: psychoactive drugs and mental illness. [Re: angryjslice]
    #2077559 - 11/06/03 03:48 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Perhaps those events triggered the initial onset of schizophrenia but you can't "cause" schizophrenia in someone who isn't genetically predisposed to it. My friend has never taken a drug in his life and developed it during the usual time frame - late teens/early twenties.

A person is at higher risk for developing schizophrenia if they:

Are a male between the ages of 15 and 24

Are a female between the ages of 25 and 34

Have a close relative with the illness

Had a medical problem surrounding their birth

Q: Does stress play a part in schizophrenia?

A: There is no evidence that stress is a cause of schizophrenia. Sometimes emotionally significant events in people's lives will precede an episode of illness, but the basis for the illness must already be present.

http://yourmedicalsource.com/library/schizophrenia/SCH_faq.html

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #2077934 - 11/06/03 05:44 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I dont think it can cause Schizophrenia, But it certainly will reveal it if you didnt know you had it.

I am Bipolar. i smoke weed alot, ive robo tripped a few times and eat mushrooms every so often.

Offlineangryjslice
now with 20%more anger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #2078280 - 11/06/03 07:34 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Alex123 said:
Perhaps those events triggered the initial onset of schizophrenia but you can't "cause" schizophrenia in someone who isn't genetically predisposed to it. My friend has never taken a drug in his life and developed it during the usual time frame - late teens/early twenties.

A person is at higher risk for developing schizophrenia if they:

Are a male between the ages of 15 and 24

Are a female between the ages of 25 and 34

Have a close relative with the illness

Had a medical problem surrounding their birth

Q: Does stress play a part in schizophrenia?

A: There is no evidence that stress is a cause of schizophrenia. Sometimes emotionally significant events in people's lives will precede an episode of illness, but the basis for the illness must already be present.

http://yourmedicalsource.com/library/schizophrenia/SCH_faq.html

i fit in that age range for males, and i had spinal meningitis at birth. im sure that contributed. also my father used lsd frequently, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

i was told by my psychologist (psychiatrist maybe? dont know the difference) at the time that the intense situations probably triggered it. its acute schizophrenia, which means i only exhibit some of the syptoms, not full blown. i definetly feel it everyday though.

~JSLice~

--------------------

Edited by angryjslice (11/06/03 07:37 PM)

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #2078834 - 11/06/03 09:56 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

What you just described sounds exactly like an amphetamine psychosis. I experienced a relatively minor form of it a few years ago from using too much Adderall/Dexedrine.It was so unpleasant that I have not touched an amphetamine since.

MDMA,as you probably know,is a modified amphetamine with some psychedelic effects caused by its unique action on serotonin. Tolerance quickly builds to its psychedelic effect,and if heavily abused becomes more like normal amphetamine. This increased dopamine over time can lead to psychosis often consisting of paranoid delusions.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Edited by monoamine (11/06/03 09:58 PM)

OfflineAntoine_Roquetin
Stranger
    #2081236 - 11/07/03 02:07 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

>> "'it has been warned on many occasions that psychoactive drugs can precipitate neuroses or psychoses in those who are already at risk.'

>>Important thing in this is 'those who already at risk'. None of the recreational drugs are going to affect someone with a stable character and mind. If you're already ill, then drugs might make it worse, going to work might make it worse, breaking up with your girlfriend might make it worse etc.

>>But if you're stable to begin with and sensible about your use - forget about it. There's nothing to worry about."

I find this comment pretty insensitive. I consider myself of "stable character and mind", and always have considered myself that way. We're talking about chemical predispositions here, and guess what, there *is* something to worry about every time you use any kind of psychoactive drugs. It's always a risk, no matter how sensible or controlled your use is, it's always potentially hazardous. Let me make myself clear again, I'm all for exploration of one's self (and recreation as well) through drug use, but claiming that there's nothing to worry about is pretty fucking naive. Let me put it this way, I consider almost every human being on earth "at risk" for mental illness, it's really not that hard to break down even someone of "stable character and mind". How the fuck can someone even know if they're mentally stable? Shit, I would've sworn I was before this started and I'd still swear I was better adjusted than 95% of my peers today even though my head is in the fucking clouds. The point is, mental illness can seemingly come out of nowhere, and it can sneak up on you with amazing rapidity, *especially* when mind-altering drugs are in the equation.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies