Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Mycobags, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePaul808996
casing and contamination
    #2073038 - 11/05/03 01:43 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

ok. i am going to be starting 12 jars and i was thinking about casing them. i was thinking of making 6 casings(2 jars each) and probly just case them with verm(if anyone has a better suggestion feel free to let me know). i wanted to case to increase yeilds but i am worried about contams. are casing alot easier to become contaminated than cakes or am i just worrying about it to much. also what would be the best way to case to avoid contams. i've only grown once before with mycobags so i'm kind of new at this but i've been reading just about everything i can find.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: casing and contamination [Re: Paul808996]
    #2073066 - 11/05/03 01:52 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

depends on how you case. If you case whole, I would say you have about the same chances of contamination. If you break up and the cakes were'nt fully colonized on the inside (big mistake make sure to give at least an extra week after 100% colonization on the outside)then the uncolonized BRF could be vector for contamination. Maybe try keeping the cakes whole. You can break them up to, just be sure to be sterile. There is a good project in the grow section with someone who pond water and regular water experiment and casing with whole cakes and they got excellent results. Maybe keep a couple as cakes just in case you don't have the casing down quite yet. It's a very good idea to practice now though. Good luck to you!

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Offlinemonkeymagic
journeyman

Re: casing and contamination [Re: thisone]
    #2073085 - 11/05/03 01:58 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

don't worry about contamination. I have crumbled up cakes in my hands and had no problems. The main time contamination is a problem is when you are inocculating. Once mycelium has grown through your substrate, it is pretty resistant to contamintaion, but still try to be sterile.

--------------------
I don't grow mushrooms... I grow contaminates!

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: casing and contamination [Re: Paul808996]
    #2073091 - 11/05/03 02:00 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Take the cake and dunk it before birth. After dunking roll it in dry verm and then spray the verm moist. The reason you roll it in dry verm first it that dry verm sticks to the wet cake better. Your just covering the cake in verm withouit breaking it up.

Results.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: casing and contamination [Re: thisone]
    #2073101 - 11/05/03 02:02 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

If you want to increase yields, then try a verm/coir combination instead of straight verm. You will be pleased.

I feel that casings are a little easier to contaminate because of all the moist growth medium, but they are still pretty resillient. I still wouldn't worry too much about it. You could always do an experiment and just case half of your cakes instead of all of them.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

OfflinePaul808996
Re: casing and contamination [Re: monkeymagic]
    #2073102 - 11/05/03 02:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

thanks guys. maybe i'll just try it each way. a few crumbled up, a few whole and a few cakes and see whats happens.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Mycobags, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation