Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
The young are becoming less liberal
    #2071362 - 11/04/03 09:19 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

This is a long but very well done look at the reasons more and more of todays youth are less left-leaning than was the case even a few years ago.

The author identifies three areas in the media where the grip of the libbie-left is being challenged, and correlates it to the decreasing percentage of young people who classify themselves as liberals.

1) Cable TV -- with the advent of FOX News and shows such as South Park, liberal ideas are no longer being left unchallenged. Young people in general are more open-minded than older people and receptive to new ideas. Cable TV is one conduit for such ideas.

2) The Net -- in particular the Blogosphere. Blogs are everywhere, and act as a counterbalance to the mistakes, omissions, and excesses of traditional media such as newspapers, newsmagazines, and TV news broadcasts. As well, the ability to pull up in seconds works by folks from Bastiat to Paine to Aristotle helps the flow of ideas.

3) The book publishers. Publishers have recently discovered political commentary books sell -- and sell big. A surprising number of these books are bought by young people (as opposed to middle-aged or seniors).

The author barely mentions talk radio in passing, but with the exception of some shows on NPR, there's not a lot of libbie-left talk shows out there.

All is not lost!

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110004245

pinky

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: The young are becoming less liberal [Re: Phred]
    #2071387 - 11/04/03 09:26 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

the MEDIA is slanted RIGHT not LEFT

and south park huh??

Well I remember something about HATE crimes on there the other day and BEFORE that show I would have said HATE crime laws are stupid

and after that show I think they are not only stupid but VERY funny when looked at in the right light

and you would call me a liberal, but I am not liberal or a conservative

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2071391 - 11/04/03 09:27 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

With more home schooling at least a certain portion of the youth aren't subjected to the propoganda that is passed off as 'education.' There is some hope from that area as well.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: The young are becoming less liberal [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #2071400 - 11/04/03 09:29 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Psilocybeingzz said:

Did you know that you and Fidel Castro share the same opinion on this subject?

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: The young are becoming less liberal [Re: Evolving]
    #2071408 - 11/04/03 09:31 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

the idea of a surge of libertarianism in
todays youth, even just a deep seeded
loathing of big government, brings a
tear of joy to my eye.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: The young are becoming less liberal [Re: afoaf]
    #2071424 - 11/04/03 09:33 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

big government bothers you

but not corporations ruling EVERYTHING
strange huh

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2071434 - 11/04/03 09:36 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

No, it doesn't lean either way. It leans toward stupidity, laziness, and mob mentality, among other things. Anyway, it's sad to see my generation getting sucked in by all this stupid pro-war, pro-Bush, anti-freedom propaganda.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: The young are becoming less liberal [Re: silversoul7]
    #2071460 - 11/04/03 09:43 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Anyway, it's sad to see my generation getting sucked in by all this stupid pro-war, pro-Bush, anti-freedom propaganda.

Because that is exactly what us right wingers stand for. (assuming I am one so hard to tell these days)

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#2071497 - 11/04/03 09:52 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

presumptuous

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: The young are becoming less liberal [Re: z@z.com]
    #2071502 - 11/04/03 09:52 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

If you are a Libertarian (as described by the Libertarian party), then by the standards of the majority of the lefties posting here, you are indeed a rightie.

pinky

--------------------

Anonymous

#2071505 - 11/04/03 09:53 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

South Park hardly leans to the right.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2071510 - 11/04/03 09:55 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

If young people were more libertarian, I wouldn't be too worried. But the current pro-Bush atmosphere is sickening.

--------------------

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #2071530 - 11/04/03 10:00 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Apparently you aren't too familar with Matt Stone and Trey Parker...they are far from right.

And big deal,the current administration is right, so more people lean that way. It'll turn the other way again in a few years.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Edited by monoamine (11/04/03 10:02 PM)

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #2071533 - 11/04/03 10:00 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
If young people were more libertarian, I wouldn't be too worried. But the current pro-Bush atmosphere is sickening.

I have a lot of "conservative" friends (mostly between the ages of 19 and 25). I don't have but one friend I would actually call a fan of Bush. Most of my friends don't really care for Bush. Remember not hating someone doesn't mean you particularly care for them.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: The young are becoming less liberal [Re: z@z.com]
    #2071542 - 11/04/03 10:03 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Doesn't surprise me too much. I would think that any true conservative(anti-big government, anti-spending, pro-privacy, pro-constitution) would be appalled at the Bush administration. It's the Neo-Cons that have taken over America.

--------------------

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #2071548 - 11/04/03 10:06 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I have a fantastic idea: let's stop all this rhetorical left-right bullshit and actually discuss issues.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: The young are becoming less liberal [Re: ]
    #2071550 - 11/04/03 10:06 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Welcome, new person! We are honored you chose to make your very first post here at the Shroomery in the Politics, Activism, and Law forum. Not often we see that.

As for your comment about South Park, here's an excerpt from the article:

Many conservatives have attacked South Park for its exuberant vulgarity, calling it "twisted," "vile trash," a "threat to our youth." Such denunciations are misguided. Conservative critics should pay closer attention to what "South Park" so irreverently jeers at and mocks. As the show's co-creator, 32-year-old Matt Stone, sums it up: "I hate conservatives, but I really f---ing hate liberals."

Not for nothing has blogger and former New Republic editor Andrew Sullivan praised the show for being "the best antidote to PC culture we have." "South Park" sharpens the iconoclastic, anti-PC edge of earlier cartoon shows like "The Simpsons" and "King of the Hill," and spares no sensitivity. The show's single black kid is called Token. One episode, "Cripple Fight," concludes with a slugfest between the boys' wheelchair-bound, cerebral-palsy-stricken friend, Timmy, and the obnoxious Jimmy, who wants to be South Park's No. 1 "handi-capable" citizen (in his cringe-making PC locution). In another, "Rainforest Shmainforest," the boys' school sends them on a field trip to Costa Rica, led by an activist choir group, "Getting Gay with Kids," which wants to raise youth awareness about "our vanishing rain forests." Shown San Jos?, Costa Rica's capital, the boys are unimpressed:

Cartman: [holding his nose] Oh my God, it smells like ass out here!

Choir teacher: All right, that does it! Eric Cartman, you respect other cultures this instant.

Cartman: I wasn't saying anything about their culture, I was just saying their city smells like ass.

But if the city is unpleasant, the rainforest itself is a nightmare: The boys get lost, wilt from the infernal heat, face deadly assaults from monstrous insects and a giant snake, run afoul of revolutionary banditos, and--worst of all--must endure the choir teacher's New-Agey gushing: "Shhh! Children! Let's try to listen to what the rainforest tells us, and if we use our ears, she can tell us so many things." By the horrifying trip's end, the boys are desperate for civilization, and the choir teacher herself has come to despise the rainforest she once worshiped: "You go right ahead and plow down this whole f---in' thing," she tells a construction worker.

The episode concludes with the choir's new song:

Doo doo doo doo doo. Doo doo doo wa.
There's a place called the rain forest that truly sucks ass.
Let's knock it all down and get rid of it fast.
You say "save the rain forest" but what do you know?
You've never been there before.
Getting Gay with Kids is here
To tell you things you might not like to hear.
You only fight these causes 'cause caring sells.
All you activists can go f--- yourselves.
As the disclaimer before each episode states, the show is so offensive "it should not be viewed by anyone."

One of the contemporary left's most extreme (and, to conservatives, objectionable) strategies is its effort to draw the mantle of civil liberties over behavior once deemed criminal, pathological or immoral, as a brilliant "South Park" episode featuring a visit to town by the North American Man-Boy Love Association--the ultraradical activist group advocating gay sex with minors--satirizes:

Nambla leader: Rights? Does anybody know their rights? You see, I've learned something today. Our forefathers came to this country because they believed in an idea. An idea called "freedom." They wanted to live in a place where a group couldn't be prosecuted for their beliefs. Where a person can live the way he chooses to live. You see us as being perverted because we're different from you. People are afraid of us, because they don't understand. And sometimes it's easier to persecute than to understand.

Kyle: Dude. You have sex with children.

Nambla leader: We are human. Most of us didn't even choose to be attracted to young boys. We were born that way. We can't help the way we are, and if you all can't understand that, well, then, I guess you'll just have to put us away.

Kyle: [slowly, for emphasis] Dude. You have sex. With children.

Stan: Yeah. You know, we believe in equality for everybody, and tolerance, and all that gay stuff, but dude, f--- you.

Another episode--"Cherokee Hair Tampons"--ridicules multiculti sentimentality about holistic medicine and the "wisdom" of native cultures. Kyle suffers a potentially fatal kidney disorder, and his clueless parents try to cure it with "natural" Native American methods, leaving their son vomiting violently and approaching death's door:

Kyle's mom: Everything is going to be fine, Stan; we're bringing in Kyle tomorrow to see the Native Americans personally.

Stan: Isn't it possible that these Indians don't know what they're talking about?

Stan's mom: You watch your mouth, Stanley. The Native Americans were raped of their land and resources by white people like us.

Stan: And that has something to do with their medicines because?.?.?.?

Stan's mom: Enough, Stanley!

"South Park" regularly mocks left-wing celebrities who feel entitled to pontificate on how the nation should be run. In one of the most brutal parodies, made in just several days during the 2000 Florida recount fiasco, loudmouth Rosie O'Donnell sweeps into town to weigh in on a kindergarten election dispute involving her nephew. The boys' teacher dresses her down: "People like you preach tolerance and open-mindedness all the time, but when it comes to middle America, you think we're all evil and stupid country yokels who need your political enlightenment. Just because you're on TV doesn't mean you know crap about the government."

"South Park" has satirized the 1960s counterculture (Cartman has feverish nightmares about hippies, who "want to save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad"), anti-big-business zealots (a "Harbucks" coffee chain opens in South Park, to initial resistance but eventual acclaim as everyone--including the local coffee house's owners--admits its bean beats anything previously on offer in the town), sex ed in school (featuring "the Sexual Harassment Panda," an outrageous classroom mascot), pro-choice extremists (Cartman's mother decides she wants to abort him, even though he's eight years old, relying on the "it's my body" argument), hate-crime legislation, antidiscrimination lawsuits, gay scout leaders and much more. Conservatives do not escape the show's satirical sword--gun-toting rednecks and phony patriots have been among those slashed. But there should be no mistaking the deepest political thrust of "South Park."

pinky

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#2071571 - 11/04/03 10:17 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Token?!

ha!

damn, I haven't watched that show
in years...

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2071573 - 11/04/03 10:17 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

South Park, like the Simpsons, seems to go after everyone. That's why I love it so much.

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2072040 - 11/05/03 01:18 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I see more evidence of the young leaning to the left these days than ever before. Certainly can't remember anything like Seattle or the anti G8 summits happening during Reagans far right time in the 80's. The march against the Iraq invasion earlier this year was the biggest demonstration the UK has ever seen - certainly far bigger than anything that happened in the 60's.

Governments are leaning more and more to the right, while the people are leaning more and more to the left.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale