Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
PiMP CX - A "Poor Man's Pod" variation
    #2071481 - 11/04/03 11:48 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

First off - much love to Magash and Toad. The PiMP CX pod was made possible by the information - it's mostly their plans with a little bit of forced ingenuity from Mr. Anderson.

So, here's the deal. Mr. Anderson did his first grow with perlite + fanning. It worked, but it sucked. He just don't have the time to fan like he should. However, he did just get a little bit of extra cash and figured he would use it to make his second grow easier on his schedule.

After lots and lots of reading here at the shroomery he found a plan he liked - the Poor Man's Pod. However there were two small problems. You see Mr. Anderson doesn't have a big house and has many of his toys in his basement - right near where he would want to set up shop. This wouldn't be a problem except that not all of Mr. Anderson's friends need to know about his hobby. So - the pod had to be stealth. Thus, rather than using a rubbermaid container Mr. Anderson used a portable utility sink ala A Different Growing Chamber. Now when friends come over Mr. Anderson can just toss a table cloth over the pod and it's not a pod... it's a delightful decorative table!

The second problem was that Mr. Anderson, for the life of him could not find Geolite except over the net. Mr. Anderson is very impatient and his casings were very close to needing the pod so he went looking for an alternate material. After some research he found that red volcanic rock would do the job nicely. He ran a small test with it, and sure enough, RH shot over 95% quite quickly. The only problem with red volcanic rock was that he could only get around 3 gallons of it which wouldn't be enough to do the recommended depth if one were trying to use a heater with a PMP (which he was because his basement is on the chilly side) So, he rigged up a bit of sheet metal to make a special chamber for the heater so that he could have constant access to it and so that he could get away with less red volcanic rock.

Here's the result:

The PiMP CX in stealth mode. Nothing here but us tables.

Much like Optimus Prime the PiMP CX has now transformed to show it's true character - one kick ass pod!

Here's the guts. To the left you've got the heater corral. The blue tube leads to two air sticks under the red volcanic rock. The temp is good and the RH will be rising as soon as the lid is put back on.

The lid is just plexiglass Mr. Anderson cut to size and punched a few holes in. Two of the holes are for air exchange (and can taped over to tweak with humidity to support either cakes or casings) and the third is for a funnel so that the water can be refilled without having to take off the top or splash on the casings.

Mr. Anderson has already places some casings in the pod and I'll update this thread when he knows how the pod stands up. Given it's lineage, things should go very well!

Oh, and the CX stands for the cost - $110. Here's the shopping list and rough prices if you want to build your own:

Portable Sink - $20
Plexiglass - $10
Silicon Tubing - $5
Pump - $15
Air Sticks (2) - $10
Heater - $15
Sheet metal - $5
Red Volcano Rock (3 gal) - $25
Duct Tape (1 roll) - $4
Stopper - $1

--------------------
By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZwieback0
Baby Bread
 User Gallery

Re: PiMP CX - A "Poor Man's Pod" variation [Re: mobiusrunner]
    #2071500 - 11/04/03 11:52 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Not too shabby.

Offlineangryjslice
now with 20%more anger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: PiMP CX - A "Poor Man's Pod" variation [Re: Zwieback0]
    #2071624 - 11/05/03 12:36 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

nice, very sneaky styley i like it. if you have to hide it, this looks like the way to do it.

~JSlice~

--------------------

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
Re: PiMP CX - A "Poor Man's Pod" variation [Re: Zwieback0]
    #2071629 - 11/05/03 12:38 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Mr. Anderson thanks you!

He also just went and fiddled with the tape over the holes in the lid. Everything is now at a nice RH of 85% and temp of 74 degrees. I have a feeling he's going to be down there peering in at the little guys very often - but that's why he taped down the lid, so he wouldn't be tempted to fiddle with them too much!

--------------------
By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2071650 - 11/05/03 12:45 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I love it. I?ve seen them made of everything now.

I?m making one for a friend out of this thing, it?s a store display.

I?ll post more pics when it?s done.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #2072176 - 11/05/03 04:08 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

"Nothing here but us tables."

:lol: :lol: :thumbup: 

--------------------
buh

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
Re: PiMP CX - A "Poor Man's Pod" variation [Re: shirley knott]
    #2072813 - 11/05/03 12:04 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

To quote John Tatturo from "Mr. Deeds":

"I think you are underestimating the sneakiness!"

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation