Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePaul808996
Thailand-Koh Samui Super Strain Cubensis * 1
    #2070602 - 11/04/03 06:09 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

on thehawkseye.com they have a Thailand-Koh Samui Super Strain and i was wondering if any of you can tell me anything about it. on the site it says it yields 40-50% more mushrooms compared to the highest yielding strains they have ever seen. has any one ordered these. are they really that much better than the regular Koh Samui strain or is it all just hype by the web site. i already ordered them but i wanted to know if any of you have tried these. if not i will let you know how they turn out when finished.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip
I'm a teapot

Deleted [Re: Paul808996]
    #2070629 - 11/04/03 06:15 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator

OfflineB_Henry_Hastur
fifth and mostformidable
Loc: 91571482014
Re: Thailand-Koh Samui Super Strain Cubensis [Re: Paul808996]
    #2070635 - 11/04/03 06:17 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Relatively fast colonizer- just around 99% (small patch left on corner) in 16 days for 5/12 jars.
Can't vouch for the extra mushrooms, though

...yet  :grin:

have fun 

--------------------
"If all are One," the fifth Illuminatus added significantly, "all violence is masochism."
"If all are One," Brother Otto replied nastily, "all sex is masturbation..."

OfflineMike_The_Toker
FloatethAroundeth
Loc: CANADA BEEOTCH
Re: Thailand-Koh Samui Super Strain Cubensis [Re: B_Henry_Hastur]
    #2070677 - 11/04/03 06:28 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Well, I recently purchased some regular Koh Samui. Day 2 of innoculation - I don't see ad Mycylieum so I guess there still germinating -oh wait - oh my the cake just when white. Thats fast.. 2 days wo

--------------------
Ya know, if you planned that shit a little better maybe she wouldn't have to use a pipe for a tooth!

Invisiblepuggymalone
just looking forlove

#2070780 - 11/04/03 06:54 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Very similar to the Koh Sumai T3. I can say that it will colonize a quart jar of WBS with a filter disk in 12 days when kept at 85F. I think that is pretty fast. Fruits have very thick, almost solid, stems, and they get pretty narly looking. Easy pinner etc. I think it is a great strain. Go for it, or try a Cambodian like Creeper, they are quite fast also:) With a little love any of them will be your favorite, choose one you like the look of(and the Koh Sumai are pretty cool looking I think).
puggy

InvisibleKlingonFromUranus
enthusiast

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Thailand-Koh Samui Super Strain Cubensis [Re: puggymalone]
    #2071458 - 11/04/03 09:42 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

puggy's right, they are cool looking. HOWever, I haven't tried the 'super strain' per se, only the KS lamai beach strain. I would pretty much guess that the super is the same as the t3 in the sense that the fruits are more uniform and less wild than the original ks strains.

--------------------

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
    #2071475 - 11/04/03 09:46 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I'm tryin out the super strain right now and it's the fastest colinizer I've had yet =) it's coming along a little faster then the creeper jars I innoc. at the same time in the same conditions, I've never tried the regular KS though and can't say anything about the fruits yet either.

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Offline95rh
Stranger
Re: Thailand-Koh Samui Super Strain Cubensis [Re: John]
    #2072619 - 11/05/03 08:25 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

foaf just birthed 4 pf cakes of Koh Sumi into aprx 3.5# of High Mtn Compost. The jars took 2.5 weeks to grow out at 80 degrees F They were actually a bit behind the B+ and blue meanies which were all done at the same time. I'm told these came from Ralphsters though so its probably not much help.

Anonymous

Re: Thailand-Koh Samui Super Strain Cubensis [Re: John]
    #2072629 - 11/05/03 08:30 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

my foaf hasn't done the 'super strain' but his thai lipa yai's on wbs were fully colonised in about 10 days which is fucking fast compared to his B+ that took over a month.(the b+ were were done with the brf/verm tek)

OfflinePsilopleix
Extended Symbol

Loc: aridzone1
Re: Thailand-Koh Samui Super Strain Cubensis [Re: ]
    #2074016 - 11/05/03 04:47 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

This is the  strain your talking about

:heart: this strain. Thai strains excel on horse poo, and the fruits of KST3 have fat assed stems and large caps. Very dense mushroom, it quite a bit to chew on  :crazy2:   

//EDIT

Oh yeah, the spore is KST3 from THE

Edited by Psilopleix (11/05/03 04:48 PM)

OfflineMrDobolina
Stranger
Re: Thailand-Koh Samui Super Strain Cubensis [Re: Psilopleix]
    #2074028 - 11/05/03 04:51 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

My cockatiel's first grow was with the super-strain. My cockatiel went against advice and innoc'd pint-size jars instead of 1/2 pint-size jars. The jars were finished in two weeks.
They just did the same thing with penis envy strain, which took 3 weeks.
Since they did the super-strain on cakes only, I can't vouch for the quality. They did pump out some quantity though, compared to what I've seen here on these boards. Definately a good strain.

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
Loc: Christ Light
Re: Thailand-Koh Samui Super Strain Cubensis [Re: MrDobolina]
    #2076234 - 11/06/03 06:20 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

im well into my second grow with the super strain and this puppy putt lots of fruits out so far.

--------------------
"Well the first days are the hardest days." When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.....

Anonymous

Re: Thailand-Koh Samui Super Strain Cubensis [Re: Psilopleix]
    #2076238 - 11/06/03 06:26 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

they're huge!
how was the potency?

Offlineo0PapaSmurf0o
AscendedMaster

Loc: satx.rr.com
Re: Thailand-Koh Samui Super Strain Cubensis [Re: ]
    #2076245 - 11/06/03 06:34 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

In my opinion there are just to many variables to determine whether this strain achieves its advertised yields. There are just too many variables which determine yields. To truly determine this one would have to carry out double blind studies in which all variables were equal. You just won't get that asking any old shroomerite his / her opinion.

Offlinepothead_bob
Resident Pothead
Male

Loc: Your computer screen
Are these Thailand? [Re: Psilopleix] * 1
    #8273054 - 04/12/08 07:04 AM (16 years, 7 days ago)

I'm a first-time grower and my crop is just about ready for harvest (I think). These mushrooms don't look like the ones I'm used to seeing online. I bought the spores at www.thehawkseye.com - they are supposedly Thailand-Koh Samui Super Strain Cubensis. Do these look right to you? I don't see why the hawk's eye would have non-edible mushrooms in their posession in the first place, so I'm guessing they're okay, but I just want to check.

Also, why are they so short? Genetics? And the caps are so small, too. Some of the veils appear to be tearing already, but they're so small.

One more question, Are some of these ready for harvest (I want to take some spore prints)? Do I harvest all the mushrooms at once or one-at-a-time, when they're ready?

Thanks a lot.

Also, I'd like to add a little on my grow experience with this strain to add some info about these mushrooms. I grew these from spore in 1/2 pint size canning jars (the tall ones, not the short stubby ones). They colonized fast until about two thirds down the jar, but then it took forever for the mycelium to reach the bottom of the jars (colonization time of like 5 weeks). Maybe it's because of the jars I used, but I can't find the shorter 1/2 pint jars. I dunked them for 24 hours, rolled them in verm and put them in the terrarium. They sat in the terrarium for about a week before pinning started. Humidity was between 85 and 100%. Near the end of the first week in the terrarium, some of the cakes started to turn blue-green on the tops. I was worried this was contamination, but the cakes don't smell funny. I read it may be from too much water on the cake or something. Anybody think it could be contamination? The pictures show where the mushrooms are now after about 5 days of growth since the onset of pinning.

Edited by pothead_bob (04/12/08 09:36 AM)

Invisiblesmokedout420
The EnlightenedOne
Male User Gallery

Re: Are these Thailand? [Re: pothead_bob]
    #8273063 - 04/12/08 07:11 AM (16 years, 7 days ago)

no they arent mature yet. wait til the veil starts to break

OfflineYossarian22
Stranger
    #8273599 - 04/12/08 11:58 AM (16 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

pothead_bob said:

One more question, Are some of these ready for harvest (I want to take some spore prints)? Do I harvest all the mushrooms at once or one-at-a-time, when they're ready?

Thanks a lot.

Also, I'd like to add a little on my grow experience with this strain to add some info about these mushrooms. I grew these from spore in 1/2 pint size canning jars (the tall ones, not the short stubby ones). They colonized fast until about two thirds down the jar, but then it took forever for the mycelium to reach the bottom of the jars (colonization time of like 5 weeks). Maybe it's because of the jars I used, but I can't find the shorter 1/2 pint jars. I dunked them for 24 hours, rolled them in verm and put them in the terrarium. They sat in the terrarium for about a week before pinning started. Humidity was between 85 and 100%. Near the end of the first week in the terrarium, some of the cakes started to turn blue-green on the tops. I was worried this was contamination, but the cakes don't smell funny. I read it may be from too much water on the cake or something. Anybody think it could be contamination? The pictures show where the mushrooms are now after about 5 days of growth since the onset of pinning.

It sounds like they took so long because your jars were a little too moist- moisture tends to pool on the bottom, which would explain why it took so long for the mycelium to colonize that part. Bluing of the mycelium or mushrooms is pretty normal, although it can indicate low humidity or insufficient FAE(Fresh Air Exchange). To make sure it is just bluing and not mold or anything, take a Qtip to the spot in question. If any of the color comes off on the Qtip, it's mold. If not, it's just bluing.

And no, they're not ready to pick yet. Wait until the cap is fully separated from the stem. As a general rule, I find it best to try to pick them at the same time. If I pick a mushroom that's growing near non-mature mushrooms, the stress can cause the still-growing mushrooms to abort. It also makes things easier because it's best to dunk between flushes and a dunk will stall any currently-growing pins. As long as a mushroom doesn't rot, you can leave it on the cake for a while, so if there's one mushroom that's developing a bit quicker than its neighbors, you can leave it for a few days after it's dropped the spores and the cap has flattened to give its neighbors time to catch up.

Offlinepothead_bob
Resident Pothead
Male

Re: Are these Thailand? [Re: Yossarian22]
    #8274184 - 04/12/08 02:46 PM (16 years, 7 days ago)

Thanks a lot Yossarian, that cleared many things up. I swabbed the blue spots and nothing came off on the Q-tip, so I guess it's normal. I know the humidity is high enough because I have a humidity gauge in the terrarium that says 100% and there is condensation on the walls. I'll leave the lid partly off to allow more fresh air in and keep checking to make sure the humidity stays up. I guess insufficient fresh air exchange can also cause smaller than average mushrooms - I remember seeing that on a youtube video on mushroom cultivation, actually. If that's not it, then I guess this strain of p. cubensis just produces small mushrooms with thick stems.

So for my next cultivation, I'll use less water when making up the substrate. That's great if too much water is the problem because then I can still use the tall half pint jars I have and I don't have to special order the short ones. I was hoping to use that big mushroom for a spore print, but maybe another one of the smaller mushrooms will grow into a nice candidate before the first flush. Otherwise I'll just do liquid culture and hope for better results during my second go.

Thanks again for your help.

--------------------
No knowledge can be certain, if it is not based
upon mathematics or upon some other knowledge
which is itself based upon the mathematical
sciences.
  -Leonardo da Vinci (1425-1519)

Speak well of your enemies.  After all, you made them.

OfflineSamuiTraveler
Stranger
    #8290316 - 04/16/08 03:49 AM (16 years, 3 days ago)

I am sorry this is slightly off topic - I am new - maybe someone could point out the proper category.

I have particular interest in Koh Samui - I live here and work in the travel industry helping visitors.

I am curious if there is any historical information about Koh Samui mushrooms available - when and how they were used traditionally, when and where the first visitors began using them, what types from what locals have been exported - what are their unique properties?

Are they still widely used on the island? Elsewhere?

Anecdotal history, or second hand info is okay too.

I have experience with mushrooms myself years ago, long before ever coming to Samui - currently I am more interested from a journalistic perspective - I am fascinated with the island, its ecology, culture and history.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

All the best,
Paul
The Best of Samui
Information and Booking of Samui Hotels and Resorts

Offlinepothead_bob
Resident Pothead
Male

Re: Are these Thailand? [Re: SamuiTraveler]
    #8311510 - 04/21/08 05:55 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Hey guys, I thought I'd fill you in on the Thailands. I harvested them a day or two after my last post and dried them out. From five 1/2 pint cakes, 22 grams of dry weight was produced during the first flush. I took a low dose (about a gram) last week and they were awesome.

They seemed like a party-type mushroom. Music sounded great, lights and colors were looking good and it was great interacting with people. Some friends came over that evening and the energy in the room felt really good, but they didn't know that I took anything. The trip lasted about 3 hours, unfortunatly; I guess it would last longer if I had taken a medium dose. Overall, the mushrooms produced a strong sense of well-being; I had no desires for anything. Despite fasting most of the day, I didn't want or need food. I felt like I needed no money or material things at all and everything just felt good. The nice weather probably helped with the mood. Looking forward to trying a higher dose with these.

I dunked the cakes for 24 hours after flush #1 and set them back in the terrarium. Pinning started after 24-36 hours in the terrarium. There are fewer mushrooms, but the mushrooms are bigger overall. I took a tissue culture from one of the bigger mushrooms so I can repeat this process again. Great experience overall during this process - I think I've found a new hobby.

--------------------
No knowledge can be certain, if it is not based
upon mathematics or upon some other knowledge
which is itself based upon the mathematical
sciences.
  -Leonardo da Vinci (1425-1519)

Speak well of your enemies.  After all, you made them.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag