Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
What is Globalization?
    #2071407 - 11/04/03 11:31 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

What is Globalization?
A generation ago, when astronauts first beamed pictures of the Earth back home, the image of a life-sustaining planet floating in infinite space helped inspire social movements to work to save the world from environmental destruction. Today, the stunning portrait of the Earth has also become the icon for a millennial version of manifest destiny known as economic globalization.

We are told that this corporate encirclement of the planet will bring with it greater prosperity, peace and ecological balance. Certainly, it is difficult to resist embracing such an enticing vision, especially when there is no clear alternative on the horizon. In many respects traditional nation-states, including both the high-tech industrial democracies and the multitude of Third World governments, have grown weaker and less relevant. And the community of nations is plagued by growing nationalism and ethnic division leading to xenophobia, fundamentalism, fascist tendencies and war. This leaves the corporate capitalists and the leaders of the industrialized countries to present their neoliberal brand of globalization as inevitable and themselves as healers of the world's ills.

In the absence of a coherent alternative, the transnational corporations carry on inexorably. Increasingly flagless and stateless, they weave global webs of production, commerce, culture and finance virtually unopposed. They expand, invest and grow, concentrating ever more wealth in a limited number of hands. They work in coalition to influence local, national and international institutions and laws. And together with the governments of their home countries in Europe, North America and Japan, as well as international institutions such as the World Trade Organization, the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund and increasingly, the United Nations, they are molding an international system in which they can trade and invest even more freely--a world where they are less and less accountable to the cultures, communities and nation-states in which they operate. Underpinning this effort is not the historical inevitability of an evolving, enlightened civilization, but rather the unavoidable reality of the overriding corporate purpose: the maximization of profits.

The "globalization" we are witnessing today is in fact an acceleration of historical political and economic trends, hastened by the advent of increasingly sophisticated and rapid communications and transportation technologies, the decline of the nation-state (especially in the South), the absence or ineffectiveness of democratic systems of global governance, and the rise of neoliberal economic ideology. Its primary beneficiaries are both the transnational corporations, as well as the privileged consumer classes in the North and to a growing degree, in the industrializing nations of the South.

Excerpted from CorpWatch Executive Director Joshua Karliner's The Corporate Planet: Ecology and Politics in the Age of Globalization (Sierra Club Books, 1997)

Last Updated: 12/10/2001

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: What is Globalization? [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #2072087 - 11/05/03 03:32 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Good post. It's as if an alien species had landed and was now controlling the earth for it's own ends. The goals of corporate globalisation are directly opposited to the goals of human life. Short term profit is more important than the environment and future of the planet.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: What is Globalization? [Re: Xlea321]
    #2072473 - 11/05/03 08:55 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Alex123 said:
Good post. It's as if an alien species had landed and was now controlling the earth for it's own ends. The goals of corporate globalisation are directly opposited to the goals of human life. Short term profit is more important than the environment and future of the planet.

Funny you say that, I just watched a movie called They Live where that is actually what has happened. Some dude finds these glasses that let him see the aliens and real humans seperate. They also alow him to see the real message they are getting out to use with media and such. The main character looked at a sign with a woman posing in a bathing suit, then with the glasses it it said GET MARRIED AND REPRODUCE. There were many others like sleep, consume, and my favorite was when he saw money with the glasses and it said THIS IS YOUR GOD NOW. I think the movie was a dig at how our corperations advertisments somewhat relay sublimanl messages like that. If you can get past some of the dumb stuff in the movie, it's actually pretty good.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: What is Globalization? [Re: Xlea321]
    #2072620 - 11/05/03 10:26 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Alex123 said:

I dont think its necessary to start talking about aliens; however i strongly believe that the ruling class (that being the heads of imperial corporations and their hit-men in government) prolly thinks of themselves as being superhuman like aliens.

Global corporatism is tied to a powerful social dogma that monopoly and authoritarianism predicated on "merit" and "personal accountability" will achieve efficient production. Nothing could be further from the truth: such corporations seek to acquire existing wealth for their own selfish ends as opposed to producing new wealth.

In the meantime, have 5 shrooms  :cool:

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion