Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Worried about my future
    #2068090 - 11/03/03 01:37 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I just got one of my midterms back in one of my classes. I failed. There's a good chance that I failed another one of my midterms too. Now, I know it's not the end of the world. If I pull myself together and really apply myself, I know I can pass those classes. But seeing that F brought back a long-held, deep-seeded fear in me: the fear that I'll never amount to anything in life. I have horrible study habits, I can't keep up with assignments, and I just don't know how to function in the real world. I don't even know what I'm doing here in college except buying time. I have no career in mind, I'm majoring in something that has few real-world applications, and I can barely stay afloat.

I just don't get how other people are able to do it--not just making it through college, but finding a career, writing resumes, paying the bills, balancing their checkbooks, getting their work done, balancing their budget, paying the rent, and all that other stuff that you're just supposed to know how to do. Sometimes I feel like I just wasn't made for this world. It's all so confusing and overwhelming for me.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

Re: Worried about my future [Re: silversoul7]
    #2068117 - 11/03/03 01:53 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Go do some homework. Right now. Seriously. Its all about sitting down and getting your shit done and out of the way, if you wait untill the last minute life will own you.

Offlinesykobish
ProfessionalPsycho - JTOKREW
 User Gallery

Loc: Toronto, eh?
    #2068484 - 11/03/03 05:47 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

There are alot of people out there that are feeling the same way as you hun. Even tho it may look like people have their shit together, more often then not, they dont. It's not easy, i'll tell you that. Just put your head into your books and do the best that you can. Don't be so hard on yourself. Many, many people feel the way you do. Do what you can. Maybe pick up another major. I'm 27 and for most of my life i thought i wanted to be a programmer. Just this year i decided the career for me is Psychology Do me a favour and download this song:
Baz Luhrman - Sunscreen
Listen to that song.. It may make you feel better.

--------------------
I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. One.
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
To love is to admire with the heart; to admire is to love with the mind. - Th?ophile Gautier.
Seek not every quality in one individual - Confucius.
Global Living Space

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #2070294 - 11/04/03 04:30 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I feel like I just wasn't made for this world. It's all so confusing and overwhelming for me.

yes, i agree....i was not made for this world. this world is filled with all kids of bullshit that just wasnt meant for me....politics, economics, social classes, law enforcement....the list goes on...

but the fact is, i do live in this world, and as a result have to deal with this kind of nonsence every day...how do i do it? i dont know, i just do...as far as education is concerned, i like to know things. doesnt matter the subject, i want to cram as much information into my brain as possible...i mean, of all the things out there my education is one of the only thngs "they" cant take away from me...so just go do your homework, pay attention in class, and study for your tests...i know its easier said than done sometimes, but just keep your goals in mind....strive to achieve them...

Quote:

Its all about sitting down and getting your shit done and out of the way, if you wait untill the last minute life will own you.

lol, you hit the nail on the head my friend...i have this problem. though i enjoy school, there are other things i enjoy more than sittin down and turning pages in my chem book....im getting better at not puttin shit off till last minute, but i still find myself procrastinating quite often.... getting over this is one of the hardest things for me, and if i dont get better at it than my days ahead of me will get pretty tough....

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2070583 - 11/04/03 06:04 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Maybe school isn't the right thing for you at this point in your life. You may end up being happier if you started working in a trade and/or with your hands. For instance, I know a few people who went through the electrician apprentice program through IBEW, they learned by doing over a three of four year period and got paid while doing it. They now make comfortable livings and aren't paying off massive debts from college.

I myself hated school and did not relish the idea of going to college. Years after quitting and working in quite a few varied fields I decided I wanted to program computers (after learning on my own and enjoying it) but I couldn't get hired without some offical paper. I went to a trade school, learned a marketable niche language in 7 months and have never looked back. I currently work for myself as a consultant, out of a home office. I don't commute, I don't have a 'boss.' I do have clients who are describing the big picture, but I call all the shots.

My point is, maybe you should heed Joseph Campbell's advice,

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

"What is it that makes you happy? Stay with it, no matter what people tell you. This is what I call 'following your bliss.'

If you follow your bliss, you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. Wherever you are -- if you are following your bliss, you are enjoying that refreshment, that life within you, all the time."

"Follow your bliss and doors will open where there were no doors before.
"

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #2070693 - 11/04/03 06:31 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I'm quite worried about the future too, actually... I'm a 20 year old high school drop out on the verge of losing a very shitty job.. no plans, no future, I've apparently fallen asleep in life. :frown: it's fairly easy to simply rent a crummy flat with utilities.. but the 'real world' of actually establishing yourself in society is confusing i agree.

--------------------

Edited by Zahid (11/04/03 06:33 PM)

OfflinePsilopleix
Extended Symbol

Loc: aridzone1
Re: Worried about my future [Re: Zahid]
    #2070753 - 11/04/03 06:46 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Have courage, if you have hit a low point in your life, remember it can only get better.
Stay busy, for that is when your in God's light and your energy is most useful.
Fuck procrastination... remember your just screwing yourself.
You've pointed out where you are now. Now find direction where to GO.

and most importantly... do not go a day in which you dont learn anything. Take everything as a learning experience, the feelings of accomplishment will come. We have the abilities to do ANYTHING, in the end no one is holding yourself down but you.

InvisibleInfectedShroom
bout time weinfected them

Loc: Beija Flor
Re: Worried about my future [Re: Psilopleix]
    #2071132 - 11/04/03 08:20 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I can totally relate to you. I am 20 years old and in my third year of community college. I didn't even finish any classes last semester because I just lost the drive to do any of it. So i decided i would work instead. Fortunately it was a job that I could easily get out of because I dropped it after three weeks. I'm almost at the end of my fifth semester and I still don't know what I want to major in or where I even want to transfer to. I mean, it's a tough decision, picking one thing to study and hopefully like it and do it for the rest of your life. But at least you're in school because honestly if I had stuck with the job I had, which was going to pay more than most people make out of college, I know I would have never gone back to school. I suggest just stayin in school. I think most people get all worried and start to freak out, like myself, because it's like you're brought up thinking that you have to be out of college in four years. It's tough seeing everyone around me having one year left of college and I still haven't decided where i want to go or what career I want to pursue.
As for homework. I think i'm doing the best this semester i've done in a long time. The trick, dont leave it until the last minute, especially the studying. My first english paper this semester i got an F. It's really discouraging to see it and want to keep going, especially when the teacher has also slipped you a note saying that getting and A is impossible (yea she really did it).
i guess the best advice I can give you is to pick something you really love studying, doesn't matter if it doesnt have any real world application, if it makes you happy... do it! You only live once and college isn't exactly cheap.
I too often feel like i'm wasting my time with this whole school thing. I feel out of place in the world most of the time. But I am here and I have to make myself as much a part of the world as I can. This won't last forever... hopefully.
Good luck with everything, don't give up, and do what makes YOU happy.

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
    #2072641 - 11/05/03 08:38 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Sometimes I feel like I just wasn't made for this world. It's all so confusing and overwhelming for me.

I feel that way too.

Maybe we don't have to be a part of this world. In our minds, anyway.

I don't know. I am still struggling.

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Anonymous #1

#2074074 - 11/05/03 05:02 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

x

Edited by shaos (04/09/11 03:39 PM)

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Worried about my future [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #2074925 - 11/05/03 08:46 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Well, I'm actually happy with my major(Sociology), so that's not the problem. It's the fact that I have no ambitions for a career in Sociology. Career-wise, I just have one dream, but it's a long shot. I want to be a musician. I want to get a band together, put out records, tour the world and get my music out there. I mean, I know that this in and of itself isn't terribly impossible, but it's pretty damn hard to make a living at it.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlinesykobish
ProfessionalPsycho - JTOKREW
 User Gallery

Loc: Toronto, eh?
    #2075692 - 11/06/03 12:08 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Succeeding in the music world is tough. But if you give it your all, you just may do it. People in that field are very critical. Constructive criticism isn't a bad thing, but don't conform to make others happy if it doesn't make you happy.

(I dont think i explained my point exactly how i would have liked.. but i'm sure you understand what i'm trying to say..)

--------------------
I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. One.
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
To love is to admire with the heart; to admire is to love with the mind. - Th?ophile Gautier.
Seek not every quality in one individual - Confucius.
Global Living Space

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #2076177 - 11/06/03 05:07 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I have read enough of your posts to know that you are an extremely intelligent guy silversoul and I have no doubt you could do anything at all with your life. I would bet my bottom dollar that the reason you failed was to do with something other than your aptitude. Now get on in there and become the Professor in that subject....NOW...no I'm serious....it doesn't matter what subject you do, you could find a job it in over those other morons. Or at least pass it :smile: Just having a degree in a subject recommends you to many jobs even if it is not what you are trained for.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale