Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineZahid
Stranger
Top Iraqi Official: Saddam Not Organizing Anti-US Resistance
    #2070644 - 11/04/03 08:19 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

your average run-of-the-mill Iraqi is fed up with the illegal occupation of Iraq by the U.S...

Saddam 'not organising' Iraqi anti-US resistance

By Patrick Cockburn in Baghdad 04 November 2003

A senior Iraqi official said yesterday there was no truth in claims by the Pentagon that Saddam Hussein and Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri, one of his aides, were orchestrating anti-US resistance in Iraq.

In an interview with The Independent, the official - a veteran opposition leader to the former Iraqi regime now working for the Governing Council, who did not want his name published - believed the organisers of the resistance came from "the middle levels of the Baath party". He said: "Saddam Hussein is not able to communicate effectively because he is in hiding, so he could not organise a guerrilla campaign."

In response to criticism that the US military has no idea who had carried out the attack on al-Rashid Hotel in Baghdad last week and other assaults on US troops, high-level US officials said Saddam was playing a role in the resistance.

US officials also claimed that Izzat Ibrahim, former chairman of the Revolution Command Council, was co-ord- inating links between the resistance and al-Qa'ida. However, the Iraqi official said: "Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri is old and sick, and not capable of co-ordinating anything. He was almost captured twice in Mosul because he needs to have dialysis regularly. In any case, he was never that important under Saddam Hussein."

Izzat Ibrahim is known to be suffering from leukaemia.

The US administration is increasingly embarrassed about its lack of useful intelligence about who is attacking US troops despite having occupied the country for seven months. It is considering re- allocating personnel, employed in vainly hunting for weapons of mass destruction, in a more general intelligence role.

The Iraqi official said the real organisers of resistance came from middle ranks of the Baath party, as well the Mukhabarat, the intelligence arm of the old regime. He believed the rocket attack on al-Rashid "has all the hallmarks of a Mukhabarat operation. It was obviously going to be a target".

The US decision to disband the 400,000-strong Iraqi army, intelligence and security services and the policy of "de-Baathification" is seen by many Iraqis as counter-productive. It has forced former Baathists together in opposition to the US-led occupation.

There is little guerrilla activity in Baghdad, aside from the suicide bombings, or in Shia districts, but resistance is growing by the day in Sunni Arab parts of Iraq. The Governing Council, its 25 members appointed by the US, has been demanding an increased role in security from the Coalition Provisional Authority. It claims it can obtain far better intelligence than US forces or its local allies. The US has been seeking to build up the police, army and other security forces as an adjunct to its own 130,000-strong army in Iraq.

The shooting down of a US Chinook helicopter on Sunday, killing 16 US servicemen and wounding 20 others, has underlined, once again, that guerrilla attacks are becoming more, not less, effective. Since President Bush declared major combat had finished on 1 May, some 139 US soldiers have been killed in Iraq.

US soldiers continued to seal off the crash site in the village of Buisa on the outskirts of the town of Fallujah yesterday.

A crane was at work lifting pieces of wreckage on to a lorry. Guerrillas in Fallujah, and the string of towns stretching west along the highway to Jordan, not only appear increasingly well organised but enjoy strong local support.

The only piece of good news for the coalition in the past few days is that Muqtada al-Sadr, a radical Shia leader who had formerly denounced the occupation, now says the coalition forces are "guests" in Iraq. He said the main enemy were supporters of Saddam's regime.

AntiWar

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Top Iraqi Official: Saddam Not Organizing Anti-US Resistance [Re: Zahid]
    #2070667 - 11/04/03 08:26 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Link?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: Top Iraqi Official: Saddam Not Organizing Anti-US Resist [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2070708 - 11/04/03 08:35 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: Top Iraqi Official: Saddam Not Organizing Anti-US Resist [Re: Zahid]
    #2070712 - 11/04/03 08:35 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

If you want a moderator position, just ask someone... you've been here long enough.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2070748 - 11/04/03 08:44 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think time here counts for much. Seeing as I have a habit of saying what i think......

Anyway, you could just put the link in without being asked.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: Top Iraqi Official: Saddam Not Organizing Anti-US Resist [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2070902 - 11/04/03 09:25 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

In some credit to my behalf I did acknowledge the article as a reference from AntiWar. It's not like I intentionally left the link out - people forget.

I don't see how the sources are that important to you, it's more so Rono's and pinky's (or any other mod that posts here) prerogative to 'remind me'.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2070949 - 11/04/03 09:36 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Besides simple courtesy? It's sometimes informative to see where the article came from.

Shouldn't courtesy be enough?

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #2070951 - 11/04/03 09:37 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Of course... like I said.. people forget.

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2072119 - 11/05/03 03:40 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

It's sometimes informative to see where the article came from.

So after making such a song and dance about the link are you now going to make a post on-topic and discuss the article itself?

Or is that too much to hope for?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Top Iraqi Official: Saddam Not Organizing Anti-US Resist [Re: Xlea321]
    #2072301 - 11/05/03 05:43 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry, after reading your song and dance I don't see any discussion of the article either.

Or is your need to see your name in this thread the important thing for you?

--------------------

Offlineenimatpyrt
addict
    #2074286 - 11/05/03 08:01 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Zahid said
Quote:

your average run-of-the-mill Iraqi is fed up with the illegal occupation of Iraq by the U.S...

Every figure or poll that I have seen drastically contradicts that one. Do you have figures supporting this assertation? Claiming that the small amount of guerilla resistance taking place in Iraq demonstrates a majority decision that they are against the "occupation" army would be tantamount to insinuating that, since Terry Nichols and Tim McVeigh attacked the Murrah Federal Building, the majority of Americans covertly supported them, and wanted Clinton and his bunch removed from office. It just doesn't hold.

--------------------
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

Offlineenimatpyrt
addict
    #2074395 - 11/05/03 08:40 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Zahid said:
Quote:

There is little guerrilla activity in Baghdad, aside from the suicide bombings, or in Shia districts, but resistance is growing by the day in Sunni Arab parts of Iraq.

Little guerilla activity, besides suicide bombings. Isn't that somewhat contradictory?

--------------------
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion