Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
This thread is very old and might contain outdated or inaccurate information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Loc: sub-surface unseen
Trusted Cultivator
hand held bag sealer
    #20696258 - 10/13/14 12:09 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

yo guys

just ordered some of these handheld bag sealers.

they were on sale, $11.97/each.

description reads (from mycosupply)

This Mini Hand Held Impulse Sealer is great for doing fast, quick seals on the fly. If you're only doing a few dozen spawn bags, this little sealer quickly creates an air tight, contamination free barrier against anything trying to enter your spawn bag. To use, simply place the open edge of the spawn bag inside of the sealer, wait 3 seconds for the unit to heat up, then drag the sealer across the bag.

Its small compact design makes storage easier to accommodate than a larger desktop model but the seal is just as strong.
This sealer requires two AA batteries, not included.

after submitting....i had the thought that maybe they are on sale b/c they don't work well, and so mycosupply is trying to get rid of them.

anybody ever use them before?  i use zip ties now at home.
i figured they are worth a shot, and i was already ordering a few other things from them.

--------------------
A few thoughts on cultivation
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlineschlopp
Stranger
Re: hand held bag sealer [Re: blindingleaf]
    #20697234 - 10/13/14 03:44 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

i dont know how this thing should be used to seal spawn bags. should you fold the bag down to the size of this little sealer? i also dont think that two aa batteries are an appropriate power source for an impulse sealer.

i would stick to the zip ties. i used an old impulse sealer, but the sealings weren't not airtight every time. i needed to seal the bags 2 or 3 times. now i use zip ties and everything is fine. no contamination and its faster/easier to close the bags.

InvisibleVersicolor
♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: hand held bag sealer [Re: schlopp]
    #20697509 - 10/13/14 04:45 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Those are the things that you pull across the bag to seal. I've never used them personally.
Let us know how they work!

Invisiblesolarity
mm... my favourite food
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: hand held bag sealer [Re: Versicolor]
    #20697741 - 10/13/14 05:29 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Sheesh! I cant even get an expensive 5mm seal width, mains electric sealer to work reliably - and I am not the only one! -
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19578867

So I will be 'kin amazed if this does - though it might on pristine, dry, thin, empty, clean out the box bags !

--------------------
Commercial exotics farmer for 8 years - now sold up!

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: hand held bag sealer [Re: Versicolor]
    #20697754 - 10/13/14 05:33 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

will do!!

Quote:

i also dont think that two aa batteries are an appropriate power source for an impulse sealer.

thats my main concern as well.  i was already ordering a few things, so i figured why not give it a shot.

i never had problems with zip ties yet, but i guess my main concern with them is it seems like its hard to get a good plenum of air in there.  when i use my friends bag sealer, the plenum is always really nice.  also, when shaking grains after colonization has started, i guess I'm a little fearful that unsterile air could be sucked in while breaking the bag up thru the zip tie (path of least resistance).

Quote:

Sheesh! I cant even get an expensive 5mm seal width, mains electric sealer to work reliably - and I am not the only one! -
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19578867

So I will be 'kin amazed if this does - though it might on pristine, dry, thin, empty, clean out the box bags !

im not sure what kind of electric sealer my friend has.  it looks like the one most often used on the boards...kinda a blue color.  we did have trouble with it, but then we replaced the metal wire and paper that goes over it, and the problem went away.

i will also be amazed if this thing works well.  bag sealers suck when the bag is even a little wet or the gussets are not "just right" it seems like.  but when they do work, its awesome :rockon:

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
    #20697955 - 10/13/14 06:22 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

After breaking down and buying on of these my sealing problems dissipated. They are really worth every penny. The reason is that they seal top and bottom and are available in 5mm and 10 mm seal widths. Those hand sealers are junk and are good for sealing back up your weed bag and that's about it.

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: hand held bag sealer [Re: lipa]
    #20697985 - 10/13/14 06:28 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

hmmmm.  damn.  i figured.  as soon as i hit "submit payment" i regretted it.

Quote:

good for sealing back up your weed bag and that's about it.

:rofl:

i do wanna try it at least once.  i did e mail them right after i placed the order and made sure i could return it if it didn't work.

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Loc: TN
Trusted Cultivator
    #20698197 - 10/13/14 07:18 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

lipa said:
After breaking down and buying on of these my sealing problems dissipated. They are really worth every penny. The reason is that they seal top and bottom and are available in 5mm and 10 mm seal widths. Those hand sealers are junk and are good for sealing back up your weed bag and that's about it.

i have a more basic model that is foot powered and it seals it right damn near every time.  set on 3/10 it seals very wet bags in one go.  it's really made for like 20mil plastic or something.

--------------------
Fiery Fungi (like us on faeboo)

Offlinemotherchimp
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia Flag
Re: hand held bag sealer [Re: drake89]
    #20699016 - 10/13/14 10:27 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Might saying what models? Want to check prices and such

Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Loc: TN
Trusted Cultivator
Re: hand held bag sealer [Re: motherchimp]
    #20700508 - 10/14/14 09:06 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

motherchimp said:

i think lipa's is the model listed on aloha medicinal's site. 

mine is this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-Impulse-5mm-Double-Jaw-Foot-Sealer-Plastic-Poly-Bag-Foil-Multi-Layer-Film-/190366712630?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c52bd8336

--------------------
Fiery Fungi (like us on faeboo)

Invisiblemaddchef
Vaginal escape artist
 User Gallery

Loc: Your mom's vag
    #20701161 - 10/14/14 01:17 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

BL I've read many reviews on Amazon about a very close if not exact product and they all say its shit.

Also heard several claims that to turn it off you must take the batteries out. Not sure if this is the same model but watch out for that.

--------------------
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.....                     

Easier than cakes

I do science and shit.

:havesomescience:

InvisibleJuiceh
Dabbing All Day
 User Gallery

#20702396 - 10/14/14 05:34 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

drake89 said:
Quote:

motherchimp said:

i think lipa's is the model listed on aloha medicinal's site. 

mine is this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-Impulse-5mm-Double-Jaw-Foot-Sealer-Plastic-Poly-Bag-Foil-Multi-Layer-Film-/190366712630?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c52bd8336

Do you have a pic of how you have that setup? I'm trying to figure out how I'd get that sealing area in front of my flow hood. I use a 12" impulse sealer I got for free, I just had to install a new heating element and element cover. I'd love one of those double jaw foot pedal setups though!!

--------------------
Trade List

How I make 15 lbs of casing in a 941. How I line 12 shoeboxes with 1 39gal bag. How I Deep Fry Cubes!
RogerRabbit said:You need a bigger pressure cooker for this hobby. RR

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
Re: hand held bag sealer [Re: Juiceh]
    #20702726 - 10/14/14 06:41 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

On mine the unit sits in the lower right of the workstation and faces left. I inoculate the bag and turn to the left and press the foot switch.

Invisiblesolarity
mm... my favourite food
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20705424 - 10/15/14 10:55 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

how does that lab layout work for you Lipa? I am going to be building a new lab shortly in a 8 x 20ft container.

--------------------

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
Re: hand held bag sealer [Re: solarity]
    #20706100 - 10/15/14 02:15 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Works out pretty well. I have racks behind me where the bags go now. I need to get some shelving up over the counters so I can keep the counters clear though. Other than that I really like it.

I also want to build a air shower entry soon with some hooks for my clean room garments. I have been too busy trying to make money for my new grow space though so it will have to wait. I just wipe the floors and equipment by hand before starting  a session and use a flat pan with some carpet padding soaked in chlorhexidine solution to step on before entry.

Being 10X10 makes it very manageable. Culture labs are best kept as small as possible.

I want to put up 3 shelves above this area. I'll be really happy then.

I have two racks in this area which I store bags and jars on. They don't stay there long though. I keep a pretty tight schedule delivering as fresh of spawn I can to my customers.

As soon As I get the large incubation room situated all the bags will be transferred after inoculation to another climate controlled room in the larger building behind the lab.

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20706146 - 10/15/14 02:26 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Lipa, do you use those taller mycelia bags as G1?  or are u using those qts as your G1, then g2ging to the tall mycelia bags?
are your customers expanding further on grain, or are they going directly to sawdust with it?
how do you keep up with orders?  do u keep a stock of colonized qts in the fridge?  or is each spawn order started from wedge>grain?  about how long from the time the order is placed until it is ready to be shipped would you guess on average? 

sorry for all the Q's.  thats pretty inspiring!

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

Invisiblesolarity
mm... my favourite food
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20707030 - 10/15/14 05:55 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

With apologies to the OP for the hijack!

Thanks for that Lipa. Mine will be 8 x 10ft with the other 10ft of the container  being incubation and storage for bulk (G3) spawn.

--------------------

Offlinemycoloco
less and less a stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Rogue Valley, OR
Re: hand held bag sealer [Re: solarity]
    #20707652 - 10/15/14 08:17 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Lots of good information here.  Thanks for the Hijack.  Funny how a thread about heat sealing bags with two AA batteries can turn into a classic!

--------------------
The universe is an illusion of the living.

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
    #20707879 - 10/15/14 09:08 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

blindingleaf said:
Lipa, do you use those taller mycelia bags as G1?  or are u using those qts as your G1, then g2ging to the tall mycelia bags?
are your customers expanding further on grain, or are they going directly to sawdust with it?
how do you keep up with orders?  do u keep a stock of colonized qts in the fridge?  or is each spawn order started from wedge>grain?  about how long from the time the order is placed until it is ready to be shipped would you guess on average? 

sorry for all the Q's.  thats pretty inspiring!

The jars in the picture are actually old jars. I spawn as soon as all the grains are colonized. No later than 4 days after.

Those taller bags are G3 and on. All my G1 and G2 at the very  least are in jars. You have to expand that much minimum so you don't accidentally end up spawning some contamination because that usually becomes apparent at G2. I usually go all the way up to G6's on oysters before transferring.

I like those bags and they fit 5 lbs of grain really nicely but I now use the 12" wide medium bags now. I can do more grain 9lbs with less bags with them per run saving on bag cost.

My customers go directly to straw or sawdust.

I keep up with orders by not taking on more work than I can handle.  I make up G2 jars every week for use the following weeks. I make up twice as many as I need in case something goes wrong and I get contamination or a new order comes in that I didn't expect.

Time-wise...... a week after and order is place they will get reishi or oysters if they are buying a strain that I am running. 2-2.5 weeks for shiitake or hericium.

I run 2 types of Oysters, Hericium, reishi, and shiitake now always. I also run Calocybe all the time now for my own testing.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains