Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
What are the "rules" for a fruiting chamber?
    #2068966 - 11/03/03 11:38 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

So I'm rapidly approaching the point where I'll need to move my casing from the incubator to the fruiting chamber (a little bit of mycelium is poking through, but just barely)

I've put together "A Different Growing Chamber " and combined it with "ShroomGod's Humidifier Tek". I've run the chamber empty for the past day or two to see what kind of temp and humidity I'm getting out of it - so far I'm in the mid-seventies and around 85%-90% humidity (but I think it might be more, the two little rinky-dink instruments I have seem to go wonky after around 70%).

So, I'm read through a ton of casing teks and I still have a few questions...

1.) I have the hose coming up through the drain in the sink and I don't know if I should tape off the rest of the hole or leave it open.

2.) The sides of the casings (those cheap foil loaf pans) rise up around the sides of the case a few inches - does this mean I'll have to still manually fan the casings to get proper CO2 removal?

3.) Should I let the casings go a little while longer and just kick them out of the pans ala PF cakes?

4.) Anything else I am missing?

Thanks in advance folks - I'm loving this forum and my new hobby!

--------------------
By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleW1ll1ams11
The Wanderer
Re: What are the "rules" for a fruiting chamber? [Re: mobiusrunner]
    #2069111 - 11/04/03 12:46 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

You post gave me a headache while reading it. I wouldn't worry too much about your grow chamber. You just need to try it out. I was always a fan of merely a rubbermaid container from a local monopoly. They were cheap, and held decent humidity. My chambers relied on being nearly air tight as to allow the evaporation to create the humidity within the chamber. With your humidifier tek, I didn't read your link, but I assume you have a humidity source of some nature which runs automated, this would allow you to not worry about being air tight. Athough it's a good contam defense. I never used an incubator of any sort. Always just optimized my environment. Cable box or ontop of a computer monitor running a grinding screensaver to keep it warm, and just room temp for fruiting. I would initialize pinning by using frozen waterbottles to lower the temp. I would fan max 4 times a day.

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
Re: What are the "rules" for a fruiting chamber? [Re: W1ll1ams11]
    #2069138 - 11/04/03 01:02 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Well, thanks for the post - but I think you missed the point of my questions...

There are a ton plans for various fruiting chambers/pods/terrariums and a lot of them are quite good. The problem is that they are often inconsistent with the "rules" they are trying to follow. The point of the "pod" I built was to literally never have to do a damn thing once the casings are chillin' in it. (well, maybe add more water to the humidifier)

For example, I've seen people say to put a CO2 "drainage" hole on top, and other folks say that they have to be on the bottom. CO2 is heavier than air, so a hole at the bottom seems to make the most sense - until you think about maintaining humidity levels. *sigh*

Similarly I've seen about 10 different humidifier teks and some say that ultrasonic rules and you should never use a cool mist humidifier... but then others say the exact opposite but warn to never get wicking models. At this point I just have to ask WHY??

--------------------
By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

OfflineShrooomKing
Revolving

Loc: Returning to OZ...
    #2069267 - 11/04/03 02:27 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

NO the point of the POD is to create the correct enviroment for the murshrooms to grow.

There are sooo many different teks because everyone approaches the problem from their own prespective.

THE KEY TO THE BEST TEK = EXPERIENCE

Pick a tek that you like and run with it.

My cat made a grow chamber out of those plastic shelves sold at kmart and they work great!!!

So depending on what you are growinging, your budget, experience, and your budget(yeah i know i put that twice), that will dictate on which one is the best, sorry if I confused u but, thats what this hobby is all about.

--------------------
A driver knows that it is not the road that is his biggest obstacle, rather it is the poles.
A great driver understands, the poles will always be there, and he must learn to adjust.

I can't keep doing this on my own... with all these... people. -daniel plainview

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
Re: What are the "rules" for a fruiting chamber? [Re: ShrooomKing]
    #2069717 - 11/04/03 10:06 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks - but I think we're saying the same thing. The point of a pod is to create an automated optimal environment for the little guys. You can do it via a non-automated environment with perlite and fanning, but I don't have the time to do that technique properly. I'm just trying to set up a somewhat concealable (the sink really helps with that!) pod that helps mushrooms (only legal ones, of course) get the proper gas exchange and humidity levels. I'm just trying to get a more empirical understanding of what those variables entail.

I understand that this hobby is just as much art as it is science, but the more science we have the better.

--------------------

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

#2069837 - 11/04/03 11:01 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
Re: What are the "rules" for a fruiting chamber? [Re: thisone]
    #2070002 - 11/04/03 12:45 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks man - I hadn't found that on the site before (dunno how I missed it). That info is really handy. I'm heading out now to further frankenstein my fruiting chamber. I'll post pics when I'm done!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation