Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Silence the right.
    #2068441 - 11/03/03 07:28 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

This stuff is just plain wrong. Since when is one viewpoint a good thing?

The Sheldon -- it's baaack
John Leo (archive)

November 3, 2003

Many readers with far too much time on their hands have written in and asked: Whatever happened to this column?s annual Sheldon award? Well, it?s back. As all Sheldon fans know, the prize goes to the university president who does the most to look the other way when free speech is under assault on campus. The Sheldon is a statuette that looks something like the Oscar, except that the Oscar shows a man with no face looking straight ahead, whereas the Sheldon shows a man with no spine looking the other way. It is named for Sheldon Hackney, former president of the University of Pennsylvania and a modern legend in looking the other way. After minority students in 1993 stole the entire press run of a campus newspaper, Hackney refused to discipline the thieves. But the guard who pursued them was reprimanded, a nice touch.

Emulating Hackney is like setting out to be the new Babe Ruth, but many try. A strong contender this year is William Cibes Jr., chancellor of the Connecticut State University system. One professor, fed up with one-sided seminars and guest lectures at CSU, asked the university to endorse airing a full range of views in these programs. Cibes said no, on the grounds that such a statement could justly be seen as ?invading academic freedom.? He is believed to be the first college administrator to oppose intellectual diversity as a threat to academic freedom.

More recently, when the newspaper at Hampton University in Virginia was about to run an article on health violations at the cafeteria, acting university president JoAnn Haysbert asked for space on Page 1 to give her side. The editors put her article on Page 3, so she seized all copies of the issue, which was then reprinted with her piece on Page 1. Haysbert may be a bonehead, but she is ineligible for the Sheldon, which requires looking the other way, not making off with a whole press run yourself.

A furor erupted at the University of Nevada -- Las Vegas when the student newspaper ran an abrasive Columbus Day article celebrating Columbus and rejecting both Indian cultures and the multicultural notion that all cultures are somehow equal. Nearly all copies of the paper were stolen, and the author of the article, Alexander Marriott, was fired from the staff of the paper on a charge of plagiarism, since discredited. No word yet from UNLV president Carol Harter, who is believed to be busy looking the other way.

Also emerging from the pack of Sheldon contenders is Warren Baker, president of California Polytechnic State University -- San Luis Obispo. A number of black students were offended when a white student at the Multicultural Center attempted to post a flier advertising a speech by black writer Mason Weaver, author of It?s OK to Leave the Plantation, an argument that dependence on government harms black Americans. The student, Steven Hinkle, offered to discuss the flier but was met by threats to call police. The Cal Poly judicial affairs office
found Hinkle guilty of ?disruption of a campus event,? although five of the seven complainants said the meeting had not yet started and all seven said Hinkle entered quietly and conducted himself civilly when challenged. So the ?disruption? seemed to be in the minds of the complainants: They were offended by the content of the flier. The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) entered the case, sending two letters to President Baker explaining his legal and moral obligation to the First Amendment and academic freedom. No dice. He refused to act.

Gerald Turner, president of Southern Methodist University, has made one of the strongest bids for the Sheldon by allowing subordinates to shut down a student bake sale that mocked the unfairness of race and gender preferences: Identical cookies were offered at different prices for whites, minorities, and women. The director of the student center said the issue wasn?t free speech but ?a hostile environment being created that was potentially volatile.?

Campus satire about affirmative action is greeted in much the same way that jokes about Allah are welcomed by the Taliban. Hostile-environment charges are a traditional campus way of saying ?I am offended, so silence those who disagree with me.? And if violence is threatened, says University of California -- Los Angeles law Prof. Eugene Volokh, a university should respond ?by protecting the speakers against the would-be thugs, rather than by shutting up the speakers and letting the thugs win.? President Turner, however, declined to intervene, letting the censors win.

The presidents of SMU and Cal Poly are clearly way ahead of their Sheldon-seeking rivals. Since there is little difference between them, the Sheldon judges are awarding two trophies this year. Congratulations to Gerald Turner and Warren Baker, Sheldon laureates of 2003.

This type of shit sucks.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: Silence the right. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2068448 - 11/03/03 07:32 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Since when is one viewpoint a good thing?

Why don't you go to freerepublic.com and ask them the same question?

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Silence the right. [Re: Rono]
    #2068453 - 11/03/03 07:33 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

No master.... I remember well the lesson I learned from you at that site.

As such I have little respect for them.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Silence the right. [Re: Rono]
    #2068497 - 11/03/03 07:52 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Rono writes:

Why don't you go to freerepublic.com and ask them the same question?

Is freerepublic.com a university? Is it funded by taxpayer dollars?

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Silence the right. [Re: Phred]
    #2068530 - 11/03/03 08:04 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

personally i think we should round up and kill all conservatives and recycle their phosphorous for the good of the tofu gardens that will replace all cow pastures when the conservatives are gone.

no one ever listens to me though.  :confused:

--------------------
Religion is for people who are afraid of going to Hell; spirituality is for those who have been there.

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2068602 - 11/03/03 08:40 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
No master.... I remember well the lesson I learned from you at that site.

As such I have little respect for them.

Clue me in.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Silence the right. [Re: Learyfan]
    #2068625 - 11/03/03 08:51 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Clue in a libbie?  :lol:

Seriously though.... look here. At least on this day. 

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2068773 - 11/03/03 10:01 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

A furor erupted at the University of Nevada -- Las Vegas when the student newspaper ran an abrasive Columbus Day article celebrating Columbus and rejecting both Indian cultures and the multicultural notion that all cultures are somehow equal.

now there's a free speech case I can really get behind.

what's your stance on hate crimes?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: Silence the right. [Re: afoaf]
    #2068806 - 11/03/03 10:20 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Heh.

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: Silence the right. [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #2068819 - 11/03/03 10:26 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

it's a legit question, I'm not baiting him.

some people think that the notion of hate speech,
similarly to AA, is racist and biased and would
probably think that this is just *speech*.

others appreciate free speech except in cases
where it is hateful and malicious.

I'm just curious about where luvdem stands...

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2068853 - 11/03/03 10:38 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

My stance?

If I am standing next to a black/hispanic/gay (take your pick, and someone kills us both... am I any less dead?

Hate crimes are as stupid as those (left/right/middle) who support them.

No-one deserves special treatment.

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#2068880 - 11/03/03 10:52 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

let me redefine the question.

what's your stance on hate-speech?

based solely on the description of the
excerpt that I highlighted above, do you
think that speech should be protected?

this seems like the sort of hate speech
that is generally unprotected.

--------------------

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #2068913 - 11/03/03 11:06 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

If I am standing next to a black/hispanic/gay (take your pick, and someone kills us both... am I any less dead?

Hate crimes are as stupid as those (left/right/middle) who support them.

Hate crime laws are just fucking retarded. For once,I found something I agree completely with you about.

/tear swells up in eye

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Edited by monoamine (11/03/03 11:06 PM)

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#2068982 - 11/03/03 11:46 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

"Hate crimes are as stupid as those (left/right/middle) who support them.

Nobody deserves any special treatment."

afoaf, I didnt think you were baiting him. I was just hehing, because I already knew that would be his answer. I had already typed out something amazingly similar and decided to delete it and replace it with a heh. Cause I didnt want to put words in people's mouths as it annoys me to high hell when people do it to me.

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: Silence the right. [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #2069029 - 11/04/03 12:16 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

ya even I agree with luvdem on this

a crime is a crime

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2069468 - 11/04/03 05:09 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

My stance on hate speach is simple.

People need to develop thicker skins. If words are capable of hurting someone once they "grow-up", then they still have some growing to do.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2069498 - 11/04/03 05:42 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

What if they just draw a picture on their penis (or other sexual organ) and take a picture of it?

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Silence the right. [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2069526 - 11/04/03 06:23 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Feel free to draw on your penis all you want. Take all the pictures you want.

In the grand scheme of life that would be a very "small" problem.
:wink:

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2069538 - 11/04/03 06:52 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Do I have a right to printed it in my university's newspaper?

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: Silence the right. [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2069708 - 11/04/03 10:02 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

oddly silent...

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion