Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinestoner2002
Stoner

Peroxide Precaution?
    #2067199 - 11/03/03 05:12 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I exposed my jars to conditions that are favorable for contams. I want to be safe here. Could I pressure cook a syringe w/ a few ccs of water, then stab it into a sterilized bottle of peroxide and inject this water/peroxide solution into my jars of bird seed? Peroxide would kill of any contams and not harm the live mycellium, right? Whats a good peroxide to water ratio? Can too much peroxide mess something up?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Peroxide Precaution? [Re: stoner2002]
    #2067472 - 11/03/03 09:48 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

conditions favorable to contams?

Offlinecheor
Psyconaught
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Peroxide Precaution? [Re: stoner2002]
    #7160447 - 07/11/07 01:43 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

go for you cant hurt anything by trying worst case scenario is that your jars still contam but their should be no harm done to the mycelium. their have been some reports of peroxide stalling the mycelium for a couple days but this isnt an issuue in my opinion i'd rather wait a couple extra days then start from scratch because the jars contamed

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Peroxide Precaution? [Re: cheor]
    #7161583 - 07/11/07 05:27 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Nonesense. Exactly what makes you think peroxide is selective for 'contaminant' fungi and not for mushroom fungi? Does it read minds or something? Follow proper procedure. If you messed it up, start over. You can't inject peroxide into your jars and expect the bad guys to die and the good guys to live. It doesn't work that way.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinecheor
Psyconaught
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Peroxide Precaution? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7161806 - 07/11/07 06:04 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

i disagree he isn't saying their are any visible contaminants in the jars and h202 is not harmful to mycelium so if their are any contams that have not yet started to grow they will be killed by the peroxide and the mycelium left unharmed unless you add to much and upset the water balance

OfflineAbyssWP
Stranger
Loc: colorado
    #7161859 - 07/11/07 06:13 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

if you have a vermiculite barrier or tyvek or whatever and you have properly sterlized your jars then you shouldnt have to worry about contams getting in

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Loc: Figgus, Fiddia
    #7161898 - 07/11/07 06:24 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Nonesense. Exactly what makes you think peroxide is selective for 'contaminant' fungi and not for mushroom fungi? Does it read minds or something? Follow proper procedure. If you messed it up, start over. You can't inject peroxide into your jars and expect the bad guys to die and the good guys to live. It doesn't work that way.
RR

From what I gather (from ostensibly non-bullshit sources, e.g. Dr. R. Wayne), if the "bad guys" are bacteria and ungerminated mold spores, and the "good guys" are the mycelia of higher fungi, peroxide is a functional, selective disinfectant.

I have read elsewhere that some molds are highly vulnerable to peroxide, but not all. The distinction is their ability to produce enzymes that break peroxide down into its component parts (as O2 and H2O).

I get that you don't think peroxide is a cure-all, magic way to ensure no contamination ever without precautions, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have the potential to serve a valuable purpose in cultivation. I've seen really unexpectedly positive results in experimentation with peroxide on cakes suffering from in vitro-acquired bacterial contamination*. The results were two cakes with no bacterial slick, with edible and plentiful fruits. I am planning, when I have more time, to intentionally infect several cakes in order to repeat this experiment.

* (Quinoa was used in a substrate mix for cakes that were not pressure cooked, but sterilized at boiling temperatures. Endospores resulted in partial contamination of every cake in this batch. Two cakes that achieved about 80% colonization were cleaned, with all loose substrate removed from the cake's surface. One cake was submerged in 2% peroxide solution, the second was submerged in the same but also given a wash with antibacterial soap containing triclosan. Both cakes pinned readily and produced edible fruits. What was the harm of peroxide, in this experiment?)

Quote:

I exposed my jars to conditions that are favorable for contams. I want to be safe here. Could I pressure cook a syringe w/ a few ccs of water, then stab it into a sterilized bottle of peroxide and inject this water/peroxide solution into my jars of bird seed? Peroxide would kill of any contams and not harm the live mycellium, right? Whats a good peroxide to water ratio? Can too much peroxide mess something up?

Why in God's name would you sterilize a bottle of peroxide? It's peroxide. It's sterile.

If you have a good reason to think your jars are bad--which I don't think you do, yet--you can try this as an experiment. Post your results. But be sure there's contamination first, or else your results will mean bupkis. I have not played much with adding peroxide in vitro. If you are working from a multispore inoculation, don't add any peroxide, under any circumstances, until you see white, indicating germination. Peroxide will kill your spores.

--------------------
FGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDS

Edited by figgusfiddus (07/11/07 06:27 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation