Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineArthurSalenez
Golden Block Of Bud
 User Gallery

Is it possible to sterilize jars without a pressure cooker?
    #9314956 - 11/26/08 01:17 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I used one of my black boiling pots for sterilization and had no problems with it. My jars show no signs of contamination.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

Re: Is it possible to sterilize jars without a pressure cooker? [Re: ArthurSalenez]
    #9314965 - 11/26/08 01:18 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

You can absolutely sterilize BRF/verm jars by boiling.  That's it tho - all other grains will require a PC.

OfflineArthurSalenez
Golden Block Of Bud
 User Gallery

Re: Is it possible to sterilize jars without a pressure cooker? [Re: J3illy]
    #9314977 - 11/26/08 01:20 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

It's a relief really. Pressure cookers are very costly, I actually thought it was mandatory to buy one.

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

Re: Is it possible to sterilize jars without a pressure cooker? [Re: ArthurSalenez]
    #9314985 - 11/26/08 01:22 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Good luck. :thumbup:

OfflineArthurSalenez
Golden Block Of Bud
 User Gallery

#9314989 - 11/26/08 01:23 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Instead of taking off the aluminum foil to inoculate the jars I just use a cotton ball soaked in 91% alcohol and rub the surface on an exposed imprint of a shot hole. After that I immediately use tape to cover the exposed poked area. .

OfflineArthurSalenez
Golden Block Of Bud
 User Gallery

#9314991 - 11/26/08 01:24 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

J3illy said:
Good luck. :thumbup:

Thank you.

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9315001 - 11/26/08 01:26 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ArthurSalenez said:
Instead of taking off the aluminum foil to inoculate the jars I just use a cotton ball soaked in 91% alcohol and rub the surface on an exposed imprint of a shot hole. After that I immediately use tape to cover the exposed poked area. .

Can you re-word this?  I don't get it.

OfflineArthurSalenez
Golden Block Of Bud
 User Gallery

Re: Is it possible to sterilize jars without a pressure cooker? [Re: J3illy] * 1
    #9315029 - 11/26/08 01:35 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

J3illy said:
Quote:

ArthurSalenez said:

Can you re-word this?  I don't get it.

After the jars have cooled down I preform the inoculation step by chemically sterilizing the top aluminum foil covering my tapered jar. Then after the alcohol evaporates I carefully inject the spores into the jar with a syringe, and when I remove the syringe from the inoculation hole I immediately cover the hole with tape to prevent contaminates from getting into the jar.

Invisiblebait_
AllSpice
I'm a teapot

Loc: This Cannot Be Happening Flag
    #9315037 - 11/26/08 01:37 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

remove the foil. trust me

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9315044 - 11/26/08 01:39 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Oh I see.  Just a tip - if you have a verm layer on top, you can take the aluminum foil off right after boiling - that's only to keep water out.  You can inoculate right thru the holes and add tape if you want to.  The verm layer is your barrier against contam's, so you don't need any foil on top.  You can leave it on if you want, but it's said to be better to allow more gas-exchange by taking it off.

OfflineArthurSalenez
Golden Block Of Bud
 User Gallery

#9315067 - 11/26/08 01:43 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

J3illy said:
Oh I see.  Just a tip - if you have a verm layer on top, you can take the aluminum foil off right after boiling - that's only to keep water out.  You can inoculate right thru the holes and add tape if you want to.  The verm layer is your barrier against contam's, so you don't need any foil on top.  You can leave it on if you want, but it's said to be better to allow more gas-exchange by taking it off.

I would, but I hide my jars in a dusty area in my apartment so no one  would suspect anything. Maybe when I get my own house I'll be willing to take that chance.

Edited by ArthurSalenez (11/26/08 01:44 AM)

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9315089 - 11/26/08 01:49 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I think the micropore tape would take care of any dust problems [as would the verm barrier].  But I don't think you're gonna have any real problems leaving the foil on, although most ppl insist on taking it off for more GE.

OfflineArthurSalenez
Golden Block Of Bud
 User Gallery

#9315125 - 11/26/08 02:15 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

J3illy said:
I think the micropore tape would take care of any dust problems [as would the verm barrier].  But I don't think you're gonna have any real problems leaving the foil on, although most ppl insist on taking it off for more GE.

Well, I'll see if I can go half and half (6 jars with aluminum and the other 6 with micropore tape). But another question just came to mind, after boiling the jars is it okay to leave them in the freezer for awhile in order to cool them down faster?

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
    #9315133 - 11/26/08 02:22 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

after boiling the jars is it okay to leave them in the freezer for awhile in order to cool them down faster?

No.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9315136 - 11/26/08 02:23 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

It's definitely not recommended.  Going from extreme hot to extreme cold is how you crack glass.  You'd be lucky to NOT have them crack.  I've also read something else about a heightened chance of contam [not sure why]. 

Although it's not recommended at all - if you're in that much of a hurry, let them cool halfway, and put them in the fridge [also a bad idea].  DEF DEF DEF don't put them straight into the freezer tho.  I also once read of someone putting the hot jars in front of a fan, but again, you could be blowing contams at your jars. 

The standard procedure is letting them cool on their own in the pot tho, and cutting corners only increases your chances of messing up.

Invisiblebait_
AllSpice
I'm a teapot

Loc: This Cannot Be Happening Flag
    #9315137 - 11/26/08 02:25 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

not to cool them down faster.  when cooling that rapidly, the jars will suck air in which could lead to contamination.  patience comes with this hobby.  a few hours cooling difference isn't going to make any significant difference so it is best just to let them cool naturally.

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
    #9315165 - 11/26/08 02:50 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ArthurSalenez said:
It's a relief really. Pressure cookers are very costly, I actually thought it was mandatory to buy one.

Though it isn't mandatory for the PF-Tek, if you are serious about growing mushrooms, it's actually the one major important investment to make. Pretty much everything else can be substituted. A pressure cooker you can't substitute. At one point you'll want to try grains and at that point the use of a pressure cooker becomes absolutely necessary.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

OfflineNot_A_Hobo
Learn and Experience

#20671532 - 10/07/14 02:43 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ArthurSalenez said:

I just saw one at Walmart today for $20. Not completely unreasonable.

--------------------

"Avoid all needle drugs. The only dope worth shooting is Richard Nixon." 
                                                                            -Abbie Hoffman

Offlineant707
not a puppet

Loc: northeast florida Flag
Re: Is it possible to sterilize jars without a pressure cooker? [Re: Not_A_Hobo] * 1
    #20671603 - 10/07/14 03:02 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

:oldthread:

OfflinePtory Vladchev
Stranger
Re: Is it possible to sterilize jars without a pressure cooker? [Re: ArthurSalenez] * 1
    #24455679 - 07/03/17 10:22 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, I bump old thread, but want to share relevant results. Yes, I am noob, but noob without access to pressure cooker. I have crock pot. It is old but does job needed. High is boiling, thermometer =104C/220F. Med is 90C/194F. Low is 80C/175F (good for pasteurize). I have run two sets of 500ml jars. Both sets of 6 jars have fully colonized with no contamination. My recipe was 1 part boiled and drained millet, 1 part verm, and a 5g of crushed gypsum per 6 jars.
I acknowledge this is small sample, and very next batch may be full of gross. We will see. Time on boil for jars was 3 hours in 20mm of water. Al things being same, I will drop time incrementally 15 minutes each until I find contam then go back up again.

Good luck and happy shrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale