Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Coir, Peat, Perlite, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinehavatampa
South CoastPsychedelia

Loc: at Home with the Kids
Casing with Miracle-Gro "Moisture Contol" Potting Mix
    #2065358 - 11/02/03 04:47 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I'm getting ready to case some PF cakes in a couple of days. I was going to use a 50/50 verm/peat casing but came across a product in the gardening center that looked interesting. It's called Miracle-Gro "Moisture Control" Potting Mix. It contains sphagnum peat moss, coco coir, composted bark fines, a little bit of perlite, and trace amounts of ammonium nitrate, ammonium phosphate, calcium phosphate, and potassium sulfate.

I looked through the FAQ's but could not find anything on this specific subject. I am relatively new and don't know enough about casing to know if this would be a good medium to use (i.e. are any of the ingredients harmful to shrooms?). I was thinking I would use verm and this mix in a 50/50 or 60/40 combo. Any comments?

I apologize if this exact topic is covered somewhere else on this website. I have a slow connection and it is rather time consuming for me to try to look everywhere before posting a question. I also apologize to the old-timers who feel pestered by "newbie" questions. I'm just trying to learn what works so I can spread the goodness.

One more thing, if I case two cakes from different strains together in the same pan would one just overtake the other or would it be fine as long as the crumbled cakes were relatively seperate? Again, I'm sure this exact topic is covered somewhere else and I apologize if so. I would appreciate any advice though. Thanks.

-J

--------------------
There he goes, one of God's own prototypes--some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too wierd to live, too rare to die.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Casing with Miracle-Gro "Moisture Contol" Potting Mix [Re: havatampa]
    #2065413 - 11/02/03 05:09 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I'm not too familiar with this product. The ingredients in the mix sound fine to me, however I am unsure about the ammonium nitrate, ammonium phosphate, and potassium sulfate.

As long as the pH level is neutral, you should be okay.

Someone else like Anno might know if the chemicals in the mix would be harmful to your mushrooms.

If you dont get any answers, I would stick to the Peat/Verm or Coco/Verm casing mix.

Don't worry about the strains in the one container. You'll probably get a much of mushrooms that look the same anyways. I feel that the environment that they are growing in is more influential to the growth than the actual strain,.

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Casing with Miracle-Gro "Moisture Contol" Potting Mix [Re: angryshroom]
    #2065449 - 11/02/03 05:21 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

The only thing that seems bad might be the composted bark fines -- may be a contamination threat. You're also putting nitrogen in with the ammonia compounds, which can be a contam. threat, but if it says it's only in trace amounts it should be ok.

It shouldn't harm the mycelium.

I don't really see the point in putting it in a casing material, though -- a casing is supposed to be non-nutritious; it only provides a source of water. You don't want it to actually colonize the casing; just branch through. The nutrients should come from the substrate, or, if you really want to supplement at casing the supplements should be mixed in with the mycelium, but this is a contamination risk, too.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlinehavatampa
South CoastPsychedelia

Re: Casing with Miracle-Gro "Moisture Contol" Potting Mix [Re: micro]
    #2065540 - 11/02/03 05:59 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the advice. I understand about the nutrients being unnecessary. I was primarily interested in the mix because of it's potential for water release when in a casing mixture.

If I was to bake the stuff beforehand would that eliminate the risk of contams from the bark fines?

It's not a big deal either way, I just bought the stuff because it looked interesting. Perhaps I will try one casing with verm and this mix in a 60/40 combo and then one casing with straight verm/peat 50/50, just in case this stuff is shite.

Thanks again for the advice.

-J

--------------------
There he goes, one of God's own prototypes--some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too wierd to live, too rare to die.

Offlinehavatampa
South CoastPsychedelia

#2068050 - 11/03/03 03:20 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Does anyone else know anything about this product?? I just want to make sure that the composted bark fines, ammonium nitrate, ammonium phosphate, calcium phosphate, and potassium sulfate, although in trace amounts, won't hurt my mycellum or prevent growth.

--------------------

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
    #2068272 - 11/03/03 05:22 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

oops, double post

Edited by psilomonkey (11/03/03 05:26 PM)

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
    #2068275 - 11/03/03 05:24 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I think they call it 'moisture control' cos it has a lot of water holding elements, like the moss and coco coir. The extras are in
there to grow plants, you don't need them.

You can get rid of most of the nutrients by leaching it out under the tap, just put it in a seive and run lots of water through it. That will reduce the contam food.

I agree that contam. risk is high, so I would pressure cook the mix rather than microwave/boil. I got some ground coco to use in casing, one of the claims on the pack was that it had a 'helpful soil fungus, trichodema', I think not, so a PC nuking ensued.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Coir, Peat, Perlite, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation