Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRedNucleus
Causal Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Seahorse Valley
Uhh, I have really bad ADD and I'd like some advice.
    #2065282 - 11/02/03 04:16 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I don't really want to see a doctor. My dad thinks ADD just means I need to find a different style of learning. Learn to compensate. I agree with him. Anyone have ADD and try to deal with it without medication? It's a real bitch of a problem. It's so hard to stay motivated and remember obligations and finish big school assignments, pay close attention in class, that kind of thing. I have 12 credits in college- 4 classes, and I've got an A in 2 of them, and I'm doing poorly in the others because I can't tie myself down and study or work consistently. If anyone has been helped by medication, I'd like to hear about that, and what type of med it was. I'm not hyper, just very distractible. Thanks all.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Uhh, I have really bad ADD and I'd like some advice. [Re: RedNucleus]
    #2065456 - 11/02/03 05:25 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I don't know if that's really ADD.

I'm lazy, I never feel motivated to do much of anything except for the things I enjoy. I was put on dexadrine when I was 13 and it didn't help me at all, I just procrastinated faster.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Offlinetheprofessional
yep yep yep eyp

Re: Uhh, I have really bad ADD and I'd like some advice. [Re: Phluck]
    #2065475 - 11/02/03 05:31 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Visit a doctor and ask about Ritalin. My bro has ADHD, and it helps him out a bunch.

if you get it, don't abuse it. http://www.ritalindeath.com/

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: Uhh, I have really bad ADD and I'd like some advice. [Re: ]
    #2066960 - 11/03/03 03:29 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i have been diagnosed with add and adhd, and after 7 years of being jumped from one drug to another (atleast 20) didnt help me at all. as a matter of fact, nothing does. just learn to live with it. i have the ability to do like a million things at once, and i love it.
it has its downsides though, it annoys the hell out of some people that i am how i am. seriously it has cost me some friends, although they werent real friends in the true sense.
overall just deal with it, the drugs, although they may be legal, have caused me more problems than all of the illegal drugs i have ever taken

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #2067198 - 11/03/03 05:10 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

ADD is easily cured by passion.

Find something you are passionate about and you WILL focus on it.

Are you happy with your major?

When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Anonymous #1

#2067972 - 11/03/03 02:26 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

n/a

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
    #2074820 - 11/05/03 10:19 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I've been diagnosed with pretty much every attention disorder, depression, and anxiety as symptoms of both. Medications just made it worse. Adderall just made me completely paranoid, and the rest of the medicaions (SSRIs) didn't do shit. In order to gain any leeway, you have to realize that you have the disorder and work against it. You will just feel that much better in the end.

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
    #2074834 - 11/05/03 10:26 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

go to a doctor if your serious, otherwise you may just need to discipline yourself more...but i dont know...fuck, you might as well go to the doctor and get some aderal, then send me some :grin:

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: Uhh, I have really bad ADD and I'd like some advice. [Re: CleverName]
    #2074842 - 11/05/03 10:29 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You think a quick 15 minute session to the psychiatrist and a prescription for adderall helps? THATS THE PROBLEM! You think medications can fix everything? They can't.

OfflineGWAR
Scumdog of theUniverse
 User Gallery

Loc: Antarctica
    #2074855 - 11/05/03 10:33 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I take dexedrine and ritalin and find it helps somewhat. Also, I actually find smoking weed can help too, but not always. Sometimes it makes it worse.

And like someone said above me, find something your passionate about.

--------------------

"Freedom to all the people... Brave, true and strong... Freedom to all the people... Unless I think you're wrong!!!"

Anonymous #1

#2074881 - 11/05/03 10:38 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

to help you concentrate and stay focused and attentive, meditation, not medication.

Anonymous #1

#2075224 - 11/06/03 12:00 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

n/a

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
Re: Uhh, I have really bad ADD and I'd like some advice. [Re: TinMan]
    #2075590 - 11/06/03 01:40 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

"You think a quick 15 minute session to the psychiatrist and a prescription for adderall helps? THATS THE PROBLEM! You think medications can fix everything? They can't."

relax buddy, no need to put words in my mouth, i never said meds fix everything, when it comes to pills i know, unfortunatly, all to well, how much extra pain and suffering they can create in ones life.
i was half-joking about getting meds anyway, but i was serious about going to the doctor.
if i were RedNukleus, i would
1. go to the doctor man and see if i have ADD for sure.
2. then i would check out some alternative medicine, exercise a bit, do things i enjoy, find a project i can get excited over...
3. find a girl i dig, and get make love often...

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: Uhh, I have really bad ADD and I'd like some advice. [Re: CleverName]
    #2076319 - 11/06/03 09:39 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

ok, i feel i should add [no pun intended :smile:] some input.

i was diagnosed with add as a child, and it has mostly gone away but if waht remains of it does not go away within a year of two then i will conclusively have adult add, though only mionor.

incidently, i also have tourettes syndrome, wich is also mostly, gone, but still present.

these things are no longer problematic in my life to the degree that they cause me problems [other than having to explain it to people when i start ticking, or when i still occasionaly get all scattered while talking to someone] but when i was younger they where verry serious. they prevented me from getting to know other people, they even prevented my from wanting to see other people, as i had formed a verry strong aversion to people i did not know, due to the way some of them treated me. i also was incapable of fullyparticipating in school. medication [rittlan, prozac, desipramine, others] did not fix the problem, but in thier own ways, they did help in turn. as soon as i was able to get off of each without the proplems [hyperactivity, inability to concentrate, ticks, depression, etc] ballooning back up, i did so. as i grew up the problems slowly got better and better, but at theier worst, i did in fact benefit from the medication. though i suffered for it aswell, overall, without it i would have been worse off.

it is my oppinion that one should not resort to taking dangerous, poorly understood or experimental medical treatments unless they feel they can not cope on thier own. if you are able, help yourself. if you are not [wich is nothing to be ashamed of, it happens to everyone at some point] get the help you need. if side-affects are your concern, seriously consider if being rid of them is worth abandoning the help the medication gives, then make your decision.

i don't know if this helps anyone, but i hope so.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: Uhh, I have really bad ADD and I'd like some advice. [Re: canid]
    #2076326 - 11/06/03 09:44 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

by the way, clinicaly, ADD/ADHD is extremely poorly discribed.
the criteria are clearly far too broad, as are those for any disorder shared by as much as 4% of the population. this figure is simply too high to be trustworthy.

do not go to the doctor asking for a diagnosis, as a poor one, and treatment of the wrong disorder is believed to be a contributing factor to the sea of adversely affected ritilan treated children who now have proplems coping with life issues that should have passed by 18-21.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Re: Uhh, I have really bad ADD and I'd like some advice. [Re: canid]
    #2077876 - 11/06/03 07:27 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

From a teacher's perspective, ADD children tend to be among the smartest children in the classroom. I think a lot of ADD symptoms come from not giving smart children INTERESTING schoolwork.

The smartest kids often get fed up with school at a very young age and, instead of focusing on their work, they focus on not focusing.

I'm not saying ADD isn't real, just that it can be very easy to misdiagnose. People with ADD need hobbies, like music, theatre, or painting. Creativity allows you a chance to FOCUS on something until it meets your standards.

Creativity is a wonderful, and fun, way to learn how to focus... and who knows, you may become a rock star!

I am serious. I have seen results with many, ADD children just by giving them something to be passionate about (not LOVE... the other kind of passion). It works fast. People with ADD will go crazy as a clerk but, they will thrive as managers. Aim high.

Many U.S. presidents are suspected of being ADD.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Loc: Orange County
Re: Uhh, I have really bad ADD and I'd like some advice. [Re: Rose]
    #2087732 - 11/10/03 12:13 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I have raging ADHD and I take Adderall for it...plus many bong rips, of course. :nut:  Actually, pot seems to help some people with ADD, while it makes it worse for others - just depends on the person.

ADD/ADHD is probably the most misunderstood mental "disorder" there is.  Whoever said ADD kids are smarter than average is right, but we get treated like morons by the school system.  The 4% figure is actually a low estimate when you consider the number of undiagnosed ADD adults out there.

As far as the meds go, I've heard some people who have had bad side effects, but most of the people I know don't have any problems with 'em.  If you have physical discomfort or the "zombie" feeling, that's a sign you're on the wrong drug or most likely the dosage is just too high.

Like I said, I take Adderall, and I couldn't be happier with it.  No noticeable side effects (and I'm 5'2", 100 lbs, so I was worried about the physical stuff), I've never had any urge to abuse my meds, and it really does help me with concentration and my constant hyper restlessness.

You can PM me about any of this stuff if you want.  I've actually read most of the latest ADD research, but I hate discussing it on public forums 'cause of the skeptics and anti-med folks who will never understand what it's like inside our heads. 

--------------------
I'm just see-through faded, super jaded, and out of my mind. - R.I.P. Layne

Anonymous #1

Post deleted by Papaver [Re: RedNucleus]
    #2088723 - 11/10/03 09:21 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #2092954 - 11/11/03 04:44 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

IMHO,it is real,just mis and overdiagnosed.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
Re: Uhh, I have really bad ADD and I'd like some advice. [Re: monoamine]
    #2094913 - 11/12/03 01:44 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

paradis is right, ADD is not real...because its not a formal problem, it's ADHD :smile:

--Kremlin

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being