Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Loc: United States
Rare species (pics)
    #2064175 - 11/02/03 01:34 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I was wondering if anyone has any experience or information concerning the cultivation of these two species. The Yungensis grows on rotting wood, so would a ligneous aproach (like the azures) be a good option? The Hoogshangenii (Heim and Hofmann had access to cultivated specimens) is found on muddy clay soils. Perhaps standard grain/casing? These species have an intersting look to them, and are both moderatly to highly potent. I realize asking this is probably fruitless(intended) because of the lack of interest in them, and the potential extreme difficulty in obtaining spores, but perhaps some interest can be generated which may eventually lead to availability. But any ideas or information concerning these species is greatly appreciated.

Ps. Yungensis -- A prolific wood decomposer

Ps. Hoogshangenii -- Arguably the most curious psilocybe

Thanks again,

mycomancer

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinem0rb
mushroom mobster

Loc: New England
Re: Rare species (pics) [Re: Mycomancer]
    #2064320 - 11/02/03 03:53 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I dont have any info to share, but I would like to say that those are beautiful! Good luck with obtaining info mycomancer. Im sure someone here knows something. :smile:

-m0rb-

--------------------
"The business of America is business," - Calvin Coolidge

Offlinestara
addict

Re: Rare species (pics) [Re: m0rb]
    #2064491 - 11/02/03 07:57 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I found these species in the forest today(first picture).I'm not sure they are the same but you said they're active are they really?if so I'm gonna take spores from them if I can and then to attempt cultivating them on woodchips.I will tell you the results if I have any.

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Re: Rare species (pics) [Re: stara]
    #2064709 - 11/02/03 10:48 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Here's all the information that I currently have on Psilocybe Yungensis. That's excellent if you might have found them, so see if they match up to this info:

Psilocybe Yungensis (Singer and Smith)
= Psilocybe Acutissima (Heim)
Common name: divinatory mushroom, genius mushroom

Cap: (.5) 1-2 (2.5)cm, conic to campanulate at maturity, often adorned with a sharp umbo. Surface smooth, viscid, and transluent-striate most of the way around the disc, when moist, pellicle not seperable. Rusty brown to orangish brown to dark reddish brown, hygrophanous, fading in drying to dull yellowish brown or dingy straw colored. Bruising bluish where injured, and blackish in drying.

Gills: Attachment adnate to adnexed, close to crowded, dull gray at first, soon purplish brown with spore maturity. Edges pale to nearly concolorous with gill surface.

Stem: (25) 30-50 (60) mm long by 1.5-2.5 (3) mm thick, equal to enlarging towards the base. Surface covered with a sheath of dense whitish fibrils, pale brownish above and reddish brown to reddish brown black near the base. Flesh bruising bluish, hollow, and fairly brittle. Partial veil cortinate, soon dissapearing with maturity, leaving whitish fibrils along the cap margin and scant remnants on the upper regions of the stem.

Microscopic Features: Spres dark purplish brown in deposit, rhomboid to subrhomboid to subellipsoid, (4.4) 5-6 (7) by 4-6u. Basidia 4-spored. Pleurocystidia 14-25 by 4.4-10.5u, ventricose below and mucronate at the apex. Cheilocystidia 14-33 by 4.4-7.7u, variable, ventricose to clavate to strangulated.

Habit, habitat, and distribution: Most frequently found in clusters or gregariously on rotting wood, sometimes at the bases of stumps, in coffee plantations or subtropical forests at 1000-2000 meters. Reported from Columbia and Ecuador, and extending north into Mexico, in June and July. Also reported from Bolivia in January. Probably more widely distributed than presently known.

Comments: Moderately active; analyses not available. This mushroom is distinct for its penchant for growing in great numbers on decomposing stumps or wood debris, its orangish color, and that the caps remain conic at maturity. I find the common name especially revealing. Few species resemble Ps. yungensis.

This is from Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World by Stamets. I would check you speciman against this information. Thanks for the interest and the effort, good luck.

mycomancer

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

#2064821 - 11/02/03 11:48 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

And here's the info on Psilocybe hoogshangenii

Psilocybe hoogshangenii (Heim sensu lato)
= Psilocybe caerulipes var. gastonii (Singer)
= Psilocybe zapotecorum (Heim sensu Singer)
= Psilocybe semperviva (Heim and Callieux)
Common name: pajaritos de monte (little birds of the woods)

Cap: (.7) 1-2.5 (3) cm broad. Conic to campanulate to convex with an acute, extended papilla (up to 4mm long). Surface slightly viscid when wet, smooth, often ridged halfway to the disc. Reddish brown to orangish brown to yellowish, hygrophanous, fading in drying to straw colored, and bruising blue or blue black.

Gills: Attachment adnate to adnexed, pale brown to coffee colored, and eventually purplish black at maturity.

Stem: (30) 50-90 (110)mm long by 1-3 mm thick. Equal to slightly thickened near base, flexuous, sometimes twisted. Whitish to brownish red near the base, easily bruising bluish to bluish black. Partial veil thinly cortinate, fragile, soon dissapearing.

Microscopic features: Spores dark purplish brown in deposit, rhomboid to subrhomboid, (5) 6.5-8 (9.6) by 4-5.6u. Bisidia 4-spored, rarely 2-spored. Pleurocystidia 16-36 by 8-12u, ventricose to clavate, often irregular. Cheilocystidia (15) 19-35 by 4.4-6.6u, lageniform, narrowing into a long neck 1-3u, either acute or subcapitate at the apex.

Habit, habitat, and distribution: Solitary to gregarious in muddy clay soils in subtropical coffee plantations. Found in June and July in Mexico (Puebla, Oaxaca, and Chiapas) and in February in Argentina. Also reported from Brazil and Colombia.

Commentary: Moderately active. Speicmens from Brazil yielded up to .30% psiocybin and .30% psilocin (Stijve and de Meijer 1993). A variety of the mushroom, Psilocybe hoogshangenii (Heim) var. convexa (Guzman) is only slightly umbonate, has a convex cap, and is conspecific with Psilocybe semperviva (Heim and Callieux). This variety is most common in the state of Puebla, Mexico, and to a lesser degree in the states of Oaxaca and Hidalgo, fruiting from June to August. One of the most unusual looking Psilocybes yet discovered, this mushroom is quite potent. Heim and Hofmann (1958) found .6% psilocybin and .10% psilocin (as Psilocybe semperviva Heim and Callieux) from cultivated specimens. Guzman (1983) reported that this mushroom grows at 1000-1800 meters in elevation (Argentina) and is commonly seen by coffee growers who report massive flushes coming up in unison and soon dissapearing.

Found throughout much of the subtropical regions of Mexico, Central America, and South America, this noble species was named for the Zapotecs -- genius architects, astronomers, and best known for constructing the pyramids at Monte Alban, Oaxaca, Mexico. The interpretation of the Zapotec name for this species is "Crown of Thorns Mushroom."

"Rediscovered" and named by French mycologist Roger Heim, this mushroom is one of the shaman's favorites, typically yielding up to ca. .85% psilocybin and up to ca. .25% psilocin. Its preferred habitat is muddy soils and marshy areas; also rich, dark soils of deciduous forests where it can be found fruiting throughout summer in clusters or groups.

Phew! So here's any preliminary info on these species. Apparently Heim and Hofmann had access to culitivated specimens of this species, which is good news. Anyway, here it is for any interested colleagues out there,

mycomancer

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#2064846 - 11/02/03 12:00 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

There have been successful cultivations of P. semperviva. . .

I have only gotten it to colonize birdseed--->straw/zoodoo [no fruiting yet].

A search for semperviva will give some good results. The other one is unfamiliar to me.

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Re: Rare species (pics) [Re: Suntzu]
    #2064862 - 11/02/03 12:08 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

That's good news (not the non-fruiting part). The available information says they grow on muddy clay soils, what kind of casing layer do you think that translates to? Or do you think it matters very much? Also, where did you obtain spores/culture for it? Keep me updated on your progress. I did a more extensive search and found these recipes:

Recipes for preparation of Psilocybe semperviva (and others):

Recipe #1 Whole white rice recipe
QUART jar:
300 ml whole white rice
400 ml water

PINT jar:
150 ml whole white rice
200 ml water

Recipe #2 Rye Grass Seed Recipe
QUART Jar
300 ml Rye Grass Seed
150 ml Water

PINT Jar
150 ml Rye Grass Seed
75 ml Water

Anybody got info on the Yungensis (acutissima) that i don't already have? thanks again,

mycomancer

InvisibleCLuB99
lost somewhere in time and space
Male User Gallery

Loc: my mind
    #2067356 - 11/03/03 06:32 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

years ago i sent a print of ps. hoogshageeni to workman, he managed to get an isolate, but probably it wasn't a good fruiting one.... btw his biggest problem was finding a suitable spawn/substrate. He tried with millet but it didn't work, the mycelium didn't even colonized the grain.
It's a very hard one....

if someone is interested, in huautla de jimenez, oaxaca, mexico, the locals sell hoogshageeni as "pajaritos" for something like 10$/dose.

oh..btw... keep in mind that 2 subspecies of hoogs. exists: hoogshageeni var. hoogshagenii (the pictured one in the first post) and ps. hoogshagenii var. semperviva, which is the one that few members of this board (una, elektrolurck and workman and perhaps anno) managed to fruit

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #2067477 - 11/03/03 07:51 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I had some success with P. semperviva, but they were all sporeless and most of them aborted:

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: Rare species (pics) [Re: zeronio]
    #2067941 - 11/03/03 12:11 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

what abaout ps. zapotecorum? I understand that cultivated specimens of those were used to isolate psilocin/psilocybin. Anybody ever try and cultivate those?

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Re: Rare species (pics) [Re: CLuB99]
    #2068335 - 11/03/03 03:59 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Do you think the main problem with the cultivation of the lesser-tried species are due mostly to a poor strain isolate? Perhaps these species aren't as difficult as they seem, just maybe a good clone is just hard to come by. Would a poor strain isolate be the cause of sporeless caps and mass abortion as in zeroino's case? Those seem to me more like genetic traits than environmental conditions, although I won't completely discount it. Any thoughts?

mycomancer

btw: Semperviva = Eternal life or Alaways alive?

Offlinepluteus
level-9 deviant

Loc: London area, UK
    #2068429 - 11/03/03 05:25 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I have been looking out for P. hoogshagenii spores for a long time, but have never come across any. It is a very magical-looking shroom and I'd love to work with it. I'm also trying to get P. argenitpes to fruit properly at the moment (it's a woodchip species). I got some dried specimens from Tokyo and rehydrated some spores scraped off the dried gill faces. The resulting cultures don't seem very robust, but they are at least dikaryotic.

InvisibleCLuB99
Male User Gallery

Re: Rare species (pics) [Re: Dogomush]
    #2070013 - 11/04/03 10:54 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

check this!

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #2070019 - 11/04/03 10:58 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Great link  :thumbup:
Now i have a new shroom to track down :]

--------------------

InvisibleCLuB99
Male User Gallery

Re: Rare species (pics) [Re: Paid]
    #2070098 - 11/04/03 12:16 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

there's more than enough info here at the shroomery to grow both semperviva and zapotecorum, just use the search button! :smirk:

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #2070298 - 11/04/03 04:32 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I'm sure  there is :]
Just have to track down a culture now :cool:

--------------------

Offlinepluteus
level-9 deviant

Loc: London area, UK
Re: Rare species (pics) [Re: Paid]
    #2071251 - 11/04/03 08:48 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

astounding & outstanding work

!!!

Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

Re: Rare species (pics) [Re: pluteus]
    #2072271 - 11/05/03 03:12 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

yes very exciting :laugh: keep it up!

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Rare species (pics) [Re: Dogomush]
    #2083007 - 11/08/03 01:59 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

getting them to fruit probably wont be that hard - either you would try hardwoods in the garden patch if they are woodlovers or if they similar to the weilli/caerulescens group manure might work - it works for semilanceata.
The hard oart will be getting a print/culture - if you do let me know.
I can trade aucklandii, eucalypta and a few other exotics.

--------------------

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Rare species (pics) [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #2083099 - 11/08/03 03:25 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Anyone know how zapotecorum culture is supposed to look like?
I have it, but I'm a bit suspicious as it looks similar to mycelliums of mexicana, tampanensis & atlantis except that it has more dull colored zonations.
Much different then semperviva anyway.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck