Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Can you imagine....
    #2064588 - 11/02/03 11:34 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

...if a Republican had said this?

Saturday, Nov. 1, 2003 8:46 p.m. EST
Dean Wants Confederate Flag Voters

A comment by Howard Dean about Confederate flags and pickup trucks has embroiled the leading Democrats in Iowa's presidential caucuses in a name-calling donnybrook.

"I still want to be the candidate for guys with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks," the former Vermont governor was quoted as saying in Saturday's Des Moines Register. "We can't beat George Bush unless we appeal to a broad cross-section of Democrats."

Dean said Saturday that he was intending to encourage the return of Southern voters who have abandoned the Democrats for decades but are disaffected with the Republicans.

Two Democrat rivals competing against Dean in Iowa's leadoff Jan. 19 caucuses saw the comment differently.

Rep. Dick Gephardt of Missouri, who shares the lead in Iowa with Dean, accused Dean of making a blatant move to win the votes of people "who disagree with us on bedrock Democratic values like civil rights."

"I don't want to be the candidate for guys with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks," Gephardt said in a statement. "I will win the Democratic nomination because I will be the candidate for guys with American flags in their pickup trucks."

Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts contended that Dean's "pandering" to the National Rifle Association gave him an inroad to "pander to lovers of the Confederate flag."

Dean's comment was reported in story about Kerry's criticism of Dean's record on guns. The senator claimed that Dean was an NRA favorite who opposed a 1994 law that banned assault weapons to civilians.

"I would rather be the candidate of the NAACP than the NRA," Kerry said in a statement.

Candidate and civil rights activist Al Sharpton - who has accused Dean of having an "anti-black agenda" - said he was "surprised and disturbed" by the Confederate flag remark. "If I said I wanted to be the candidate for people that ride around with helmets and swastikas, I would be asked to leave," Sharpton said.

In response to the criticism, Dean released a statement saying: "I want people with Confederate flags on their trucks to put down those flags and vote Democratic - because the need for quality health care, jobs and a good education knows no racial boundaries.

"We have working white families in the south voting for tax cuts for the richest 1 percent while their children remain with no health care," Dean said.

"The dividing of working people by race has been a cornerstone of Republican politics for the last three decades - starting with Richard Nixon. ... The only way we're going to beat George Bush is if southern white working families and African-American working families come together under the Democratic tent, as they did under FDR."

The two southerners in the Democratic race, North Carolina Sen. John Edwards and retired Army Gen. Wesley Clark of Arkansas, also protested. "Some of the greatest civil rights leaders, white and black, have come from the South," said Edwards. "To assume that southerners who drive trucks would embrace this symbol is offensive."

Clark said, "Every Democratic candidate for president needs to condemn the divisiveness the Confederate flag represents."

Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman's campaign weighed in as well. "Governor Dean ought to be more careful about what he says," said campaign director Craig Smith. "It is irresponsible and reckless to loosely talk about one of the most divisive, hurtful symbols in American history."

Dean spokeswoman Tricia Enright told The Associated Press that Dean had previously used the Confederate flag image in his campaign.

One instance came Feb. 22 at a meeting of the Democratic National Committee in Washington. Dean said the men with Confederate flag decals in their pickup trucks represented lucrative prospects for the party "because their kids don't have health insurance, either, and their kids need better schools, too."

The party elite stood and cheered.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Can you imagine.... [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2064616 - 11/02/03 11:55 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

He be the candidate for guys with swastikas on their arm bands if it would get him elected.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: BLC - I Don't Wanna Go

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: Can you imagine.... [Re: Learyfan]
    #2065141 - 11/02/03 03:30 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Ding ding ding.

Howard Dean is a tool. I want him to get elected almost as much as I want Bush to get reelected.

--------------------

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: Can you imagine.... [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #2065349 - 11/02/03 04:43 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Ya Know, Not all southernors are toothless Uneducated Confederate flag wavers.

OfflineLaCasta
Beyond Good andEvil

Loc: Chicago
Re: Can you imagine.... [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #2065423 - 11/02/03 05:13 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Then why do they elect toothless uneducated confederate flag wavers

--------------------

"Memories of high speeds when the cops crash, As I laugh pushin the gas while my glocks blast" -RIP Tupac

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: Can you imagine.... [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #2065476 - 11/02/03 05:31 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Im assuming you hit quick reply, cause I didnt say they were.

--------------------

OfflineSanityIsOvrRated
Live for Today

Loc: NY
Re: Can you imagine.... [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #2065563 - 11/02/03 06:07 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

www.blogforamerica.com

BURLINGTON--Last winter--to resounding applause and a standing ovation--Democratic presidential candidate Governor Howard Dean, M.D., told the DNC that "white folks in the South who drive pick-up trucks with Confederate flag decals on the back ought to be voting with us because their kids don't have health insurance either, and their kids need better schools too."

In response to Congressman Gephardt's and Senator Kerry's most recent attacks, Governor Dean said:

"I want people with confederate flags on their trucks to put down those flags and vote Democratic--because the need for quality healthcare, jobs, and a good education knows no racial boundaries. We have working white families in the south voting for tax cuts for the richest 1% while their children remain with no health care. The dividing of working people by race has been a cornerstone of Republican politics for the last three decades--starting with Richard Nixon. For my fellow Democratic opponents to sink to this level is really tragic. The only way we're going to beat George Bush is if southern white working families and African American working families come together under the Democratic tent, as they did under FDR.

"In his historic 'I have a dream speech,' Martin Luther King, Jr., said: 'I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slaveowners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood.' I believe Dr. King's vision still represents the future of America. And that is what our campaign is about."

UPDATE: Here is the full quote from the DNC speech referred to above:

"I want all of our institutions of higher learning, our law schools, our medical schools, our best universities to look like the rest of America. And I thought that one of the most despicable moments of this president's administration was three weeks ago, when on national prime-time television, he used the word "quota'' seven times. The University of Michigan does not now have quotas. It has never had quotas. Quotas is a race-loaded word, designed to appeal to people's fears of losing their jobs.

"I intend to talk about race in this election in the south because the Republicans have been talking about it since 1968 in order to divide us. And I'm going to bring us together, because you know what? White folks in the south who drive pickups trucks with confederate flags decals in the back ought to be voting with us and not them, because their kids don't have health insurance either and their kids need better schools too.

"We're not done yet.

"Most of you know that six months before my last re-election I signed a bill into law that made Vermont the first state in American to guarantee equal rights to every person under the law - EVERY person under the law. That bill was called the Civil Unions bill. And it said that marriage is between a man and a woman, but same-sex couples are entitled to the exact same legal rights as I have - hospital visitation, insurance, and inheritance rights. All Americans are equal under the law in our state.

"This bill was at about 40% in the polls when I signed it ? 60% were against it, six months before the election. I never got a chance to ask myself whether signing it was a good idea or not because I knew that if I were willing to sell out the rights of a whole group of human beings because it might be politically inconvenient for a future office I might run for, then I had wasted my time in public service."

It makes sense to me.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Can you imagine.... [Re: Learyfan]
    #2065710 - 11/02/03 07:17 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The confederate flag isn't a symbol of slavery. I wish people could get their heads out of their asses over that.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Can you imagine.... [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2065719 - 11/02/03 07:23 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Put a handful of shit in one hand, and a handful of wishes in the other.

Which weighs more?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
Re: Can you imagine.... [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2065736 - 11/02/03 07:28 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

The confederate flag isn't a symbol of slavery. I wish people could get their heads out of their asses over that.

Yeah, I hate to agree with this particular aspect of the Lost Cause Mythology, but I have to agree. To me, the Rebel flag has always symbolized keepin the feds outta your goddamn business.

States Rights are good. Yes, they have been used to justify heinous shit like slavery, and I dont condone that. But its because of lack of states rights that the Federal Government can walk all over California's medical pot decrim. And that sucks. I mean, if the majority of people in Texas are ignorant rednecks that don't want pot to be legal, then by all means, it shouldn't be. But if the majority of people in California are liberal hippies that do want pot legal, the Feds shouldnt be able to tell them how to run their state.

sorry to go off on an unrelated tangent there, but the power that the Fed has over macrobiotic governments pisses me off.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Can you imagine.... [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2065744 - 11/02/03 07:32 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Nice post DrJ.

Sadly, the people have gotten what they wished for. By asking the Feds to step into just about everything, they have brought their misery on themselves.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion