Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDAK
Not you
Loc: SW Washington
ID help in PNW
    #2063417 - 11/01/03 08:18 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Need some help IDing these mushrooms. I'm new to hunting and this is probably my third time out. I usually find the typical "brown" type but these 3 different types below caught my attention. I didn't have a camera with me so I dried them out prior to these pics . Please let me know what you think they are. I'll give my best description and hope the pics turn out.

These three were found in a wooded area south of Castle Rock. The area was just off the road, on the forests edge in a small, tall grass area. Didn't get a spore print.

The cap prior to being dried was tan-light brown and wavy. Gills were light brown and attached. The stem was white, hollow, fiberous, 3" tall, and gets bigger at the base. Smells "woodsy" or like a wet dog.

This one I found north of Lacey. I picked it because it looked like a young Amanita from the pics I've seen. It may be tough to see but it has white spots on it.

These last ones were also picked north of Lacey about 5 feet away from the one above. Found them in a wooded area under some pine trees, growing on moss.

Spore print was dark colored like chocolate. Cap was light brown/redish colored darkening as it got to the edge, slimy to tacky to the touch. Cap curved slightly inward at the edge. 30 minutes after I picked them the inward curve on the cap change to a darker blueish/purplish color. The gills were attached, light brown colored and change to blue within an hour or two of being picked. Stem was white and hollow. They have a fruity smell to them.

Let me know if you need more info or better pics. Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: ID help in PNW [Re: DAK]
    #2063988 - 11/02/03 12:58 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

It is pretty hard to ID dried mushrooms.

The first picture looks like it has some bruising on the stem. Is it a dark brown/black bruising, or a blue?

If the last mushrooms were obviously bruising blue, it's probable that you have found Ps. cyanescens. Be sure of the color of the bruise because there is a similar species of Galerina which unfortuently posionous.

The middle mushroom is not an Amanita muscaria. The immature specimens look like a red ball with tons of warts on them. The stem is much different too.

OfflineDAK
Not you
Re: ID help in PNW [Re: angryshroom]
    #2064047 - 11/02/03 01:38 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I believe the bruising on the stem in the first picture is dark brown/black. Much browner color than those in the last pics when I compared the two side to side.

The mushrooms in the last pic brusied an obvious bluish/purplish color on the gills when I cut the cap off for the spore print.

What color does a Galerina bruise? Any other quick ways to ID a Galerina?

Offlinejimbu
jimbu
Male
Loc: nsw, australia
    #2064154 - 11/02/03 03:17 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

im quite sure none of those are active..

the last ones dont look like cyans to me and woodlovers bruise a DEFINITE STRONG BLUE, not 'bluish/purplish' !! please dont eat them

OfflineDAK
Not you
Re: ID help in PNW [Re: jimbu]
    #2064792 - 11/02/03 01:28 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the replies!!

When I cut the cap off for the spore print the gills turned blue but after some drying it turned to a purple/black color as you can now see in the last pic.

Any other opinions or should I toss these out?

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2065385 - 11/02/03 04:59 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Galerinas will bruise black/brown.

I would do a search on Google images for Psilocybe cyanescens. The Galerina species resemble cyanescens very well.

You will have to be positive of the blue bruising. The white stem should reveal an obvious BLUE.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification