Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Inhalant Abusing Giraffe Draws Critism
    #2063157 - 11/01/03 06:43 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

(Note From Twirling: Read this article in a helium voice for extra comedic fun)

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

Ad Showing Helium Inhaling Is Criticized

By JOE CAREY
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A Toys "R" Us television commercial that featured the company's mascot, Geoffrey the Giraffe, inhaling helium from a balloon has drawn the ire of anti-drug advocates who say the ad sends a dangerous message to children.

"Any portrayal of inhalant use is bad, especially when we're reaching out to younger children who are at most risk of abusing inhalants," Charles Curie, administrator for the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, said Friday.

According to a 2002 Monitoring the Future Study, 15.2 percent of eighth-graders have used inhalants in their lifetime.

The ad campaign has finished its rotation and will not be reintroduced, Toys "R" Us spokesperson Susan McLaughlin said in a statement.

"Toys "R" Us takes the safety of our guests very seriously," McLaughlin said. "We would never encourage any behavior that would be dangerous in any way."

Inhaling helium has the effect of distorting the human voice. It also can displace oxygen in the blood and lead to unconsciousness and, in rare occasions, death.

Advocates are also concerned about the portrayal of "huffing" helium in other commercials, television shows and movies.

"The ingestion of helium is dangerous," and has resulted in deaths, said Harvey Weiss, executive director of the National Inhalant Prevention Coalition, a federally funded organization.

Weiss said he was inundated with complaints about the Toys "R" Us ad from parents, teachers, school nurses and substance abuse treatment workers, who also complained to the toy company.

"Maybe they heard what we had to say," Weiss said.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
Re: Inhalant Abusing Giraffe Draws Critism [Re: Twirling]
    #2067067 - 11/03/03 04:04 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

What a dumb commercial.

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Inhalant Abusing Giraffe Draws Critism [Re: Signo]
    #2069553 - 11/04/03 07:18 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

> The ingestion of helium is dangerous," and has resulted in deaths

Ingestion is not inhalation. The only references I could find from helium deaths all resulted from asphyxiation rather than ingestion.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineStonedShroom
OG shroomerite
 User Gallery

Re: Inhalant Abusing Giraffe Draws Critism [Re: Twirling]
    #2074076 - 11/05/03 07:02 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

WTF?

that's retarded.

As I recall the giraffe didn't intentionally inhale the helium, his neck just so long it was near the bottom of the balloon and it made his voice funny.

That's fucking retarded.... do these people have anything better to do? I think this activist group is nothing but a group of overprotective 'my kid is better than your kid' soccer moms who want an excuse to sit on their ass and watch soap operas all day long to watch out for so-called 'dangerous' ads. Please. The only way I can ever think a kid could die from too much helium is if it happened to stumble upon a huge tank of helium and sucked on it for at least a half hour straight... even then it's the parent's fault for leaving out a huge helium tank where a kid could get hold of it... also it would have to be one VERY strong and smart toddler to be able to know how to open the valves and how to properly inhale and hold the helium.

Please. These people were just looking for something to liven up their boring lives... or winning a multi-million dollar lawsuit.

--------------------
We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience.

We are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator
 Arcade Champion: Skeleton Park, Space Hunter

Re: Inhalant Abusing Giraffe Draws Critism [Re: Seuss]
    #2075405 - 11/06/03 12:47 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

The only death I have heard helium related is a punctured lung from taking the gas from the highly pressured tank.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service