Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Tell-a-vision Programming!
    #2062439 - 11/01/03 09:31 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

"Imagine if the Japanese had won World War II and had introduced into American life a drug so insidious that thirty years later the average American was spending five hours a day "loaded" on this drug. People would just view it as an outrageous atrocity. And yet, we in America do this to ourselves. And the horrifying thing about the "trip" that television gives you is that it's not your trip. It is a trip that comes down through the values systems of a society whose greatest god is the almighty dollar." -Terence McKenna (R.I.P.)

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
Re: Tell-a-vision Programming! [Re: Adamist]
    #2062468 - 11/01/03 10:10 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

As long as television brainwashing is coupled with prosperity, nothing will ever change.

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Tell-a-vision Programming! [Re: Lightningfractal]
    #2062523 - 11/01/03 10:53 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

God, television.... It reminds me of that one Futurama episode, where it says at the bottom in the beginning "For cheap laser eye surgery, sit as close to screen as possible."

But yeah. The thing shoots hypnotic, dirty fucking light waves at us and then tells us to buy stuff. There are benefits from television that greatly make it better than radio or newspapers, but as long as advertising funds television programming, we as a people are screwed.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Tell-a-vision Programming! [Re: Adamist]
    #2062599 - 11/01/03 11:56 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Television isn't so bad, but if you don't watch it you can act like you're smarter than everyone. As long as you're not stupid enough to roast yourself on a barbeque after watching Jackass you should be fine. Charles Dickens was a commercial author, writing for money, and I don't see anyone saying that his work lacks artistic merit.

Even those commercials for hairspray and hamburgers you see, those are the real art of today. The average person hates them all, and thinks they're all just mindless garbage, but the funny thing is, the average person thinks that they are ahead of the game in thinking this. They honestly believe everyone else out there is all "commercials are awesome!", but they're really all thinking exactly the same thing, and they're still eating Big Macs. Really though, commercials are changing the world.

"I didn't laugh at that because it was a reference to a television show, and I don't watch that garbage, it is intellectually bankrupt. My only source of entertainment is eighteenth century literature."

"No wonder you're so boring."

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Tell-a-vision Programming! [Re: Phluck]
    #2062609 - 11/01/03 12:05 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Some people eat Big Macs because they taste good...
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Tell-a-vision Programming! [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2062619 - 11/01/03 12:11 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Big Macs are amazing, television is awesome. Revel in the glory of modern life.

Rebel against meaningless rebellion.

I don't have a moral problem with airwave piracy or vandalizing a McDonald's, but I also enjoy the glories of NBC's thursday night line-up or a SuperSized Combo #4.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#2062627 - 11/01/03 12:17 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I usually tend to stay away from television, it is mostly a waste of time. But there is a big collection of The Simpsons and Futurama stored on our computer system, and I usually watch Superman and The Fresh Prince of Belair during the day...

Superman is the fucking shit. Full respect to Supe.
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Re: Tell-a-vision Programming! [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2062666 - 11/01/03 12:37 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

The answer is elusive. I don't think the answer is to stop eating big macs. In the absence of an answer I say we should just fall back on the "Flood the world with LSD, and let everything work itself out." philosophy.....again.(and again?)

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #2062687 - 11/01/03 12:52 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I think TV is all good as long as you dont watch too much, and as long as you watch specific shows instead of just seein "whatever's on"... 99% of TV is utter crap.

Oh yeah, and prime time network TV blows. Its full of subtle propaganda. I remember about a year ago, everyone in TV sitcoms was getting married. Now, they're all having kids. (Think about it)

But... the Simpsons rock, And there's some good reruns on cable... That 70s show is alright, and you can learn a lot from the History and Discovery Channels. MTV sucks but M2 is alright. Plus the cartoon channels because there are no saturday morning cartoons anymore.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#2062713 - 11/01/03 01:02 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, if everyone takes acid that will solve everything. :rolleyes:

--------------------

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Re: Tell-a-vision Programming! [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2062718 - 11/01/03 01:03 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

there are no saturday morning cartoons anymore.

:frown: *sniff* no one told me. I used to watch those. 

--------------------

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

#2062727 - 11/01/03 01:06 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Yeah, if everyone takes acid that will solve everything.

Won't solve everything, but..

1. It will make the unsolved shit much more fun.

2. Will lessen the need to "solve every-fucking-thing".

or, in other words..

Embracing "everything" can make "solutions" irrelevant.

cheers!

--------------------

Edited by Lightningfractal (11/01/03 01:10 PM)

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#2062746 - 11/01/03 01:13 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think acid will make everyone embrace everything.

I know a lot of acid users who seem to hate everything about society.

--------------------

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

#2062769 - 11/01/03 01:24 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I don't think acid will make everyone embrace everything.

Why do you speak in the extremes? eg. "solve EVERYTHING" "make EVERYONE embrace everything"

You are right, there is little chance that LSD will make "EVERYONE" do anything, but for positive change to occur does not require it to. Further, (like the archetect dude in the matrix talks).. Flooding the world with LSD would create an "escalating probability" of more embracing.

Quote:

I know a lot of acid users who seem to hate everything about society.

The key words here are "about society". We are talking about everything here, meaning people, planet, mind, body, soul...everything. Not about "society" which is loosely interpereted as an irrelevant and temporary belief system forced upon the unaware and embraced by those with a stake in it.

I don't just speak vainly, I lived in a time doused in LSD, and compared with now, it was much better.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#2062787 - 11/01/03 01:34 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

"Flooding the world with LSD would create an "escalating probability" of more embracing."

It would? What are you basing this on?

"I don't just speak vainly, I lived in a time doused in LSD, and compared with now, it was much better. "

I know some coke addicts who say their lives were way better when they were partying it up and doing coke all the time. How is this different?

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#2062795 - 11/01/03 01:41 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

"Not about "society" which is loosely interpereted as an irrelevant and temporary belief system forced upon the unaware and embraced by those with a stake in it."

Society is not a belief system.

--------------------

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

#2062839 - 11/01/03 02:13 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

"Flooding the world with LSD would create an "escalating probability" of more embracing."

It would? What are you basing this on?

Personal experience, observation, and Grateful Dead shows. There are many, many more people hugging at shows and festivals where LSD is served, than at say ... a McDonald's convention, where no LSD is served.

Quote:

"I don't just speak vainly, I lived in a time doused in LSD, and compared with now, it was much better. "

I know some coke addicts who say their lives were way better when they were partying it up and doing coke all the time. How is this different?

Maybe fundamentally it isn't different, after all life is an objective experience. But I'm talking about LSD, not cocaine, and in times of greater LSD availability, there was more fun, and a greater sense of freedom in the air. More choices seemed to exist, people having fun, less afraid, more outgoing, doing things, going places. The common denominator was always LSD. It will be argued that all of these things would have happened even without the LSD, but I disagree, because LSD is such a powerful catalyst for making self exploration easier. Therefore the reasonable person would conclude that these experiences were at least made almost infinately more likely to occur because of the LSD.

--------------------

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

#2062848 - 11/01/03 02:17 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

"Not about "society" which is loosely interpereted as an irrelevant and temporary belief system forced upon the unaware and embraced by those with a stake in it."

Society is not a belief system.

Then what is it? Define society. People are people, what makes a people a "society" if it is not an establishment belief system?

--------------------

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
    #2062898 - 11/01/03 02:45 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I was watching TV once and i stared at the right upper corner attempting to read what was in the sunshine image, it then brought me to focus on the guy on the right, then his eyes made me focus on the guy on the left, then the guy on the left made me focus on the guy on the rights crotch and the guy on the right did the whole wrestling move, 'suck it!'... It's not meant for people who don't understand english. Fucked up if you ask me. Like they encoded it so only those who understand it can watch it, and those who don't understand it... will be get angry at it.

Edit - If you like TV, don't try and understand what I posted... If you know what I'm talking about let me know.

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

Edited by Droz (11/01/03 02:47 PM)

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Re: Tell-a-vision Programming! [Re: Droz]
    #2062917 - 11/01/03 02:57 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Like they encoded it so only those who understand it can watch it, and those who don't understand it... will be get angry at it.

Intriguing, I just wished I knew what the hell you are talking about.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom