Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCinopsilo
I'm back
Loc: Somewhere in the middle o...
Terrarium (terranium) Q
    #2061316 - 10/31/03 05:15 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Whats up, alright....I know I'm just setting myself up to be bombarded with comments about how I need to read the faqs, and my post is in the wrong forum, but if it is (mod whoever you are) would you please just move it to the correct forum in your opinion as a pose to locking it up, thanks.
Alright, on with the question. I've read many teks and faqs, and posts about growing mushrooms, but lets say I have a freind of a friend right, & he wants to make the typical substrate of Verm, and brown rice flour, (basiclly just the plain old easy PF tek) and he lets the substrate fill with mycellium after inoculation, blah, blah, alright, and then we get to where the jars will be dumped upside down, on the lid, and placed in a terrarium (terranium), this is where I get a little confused on the terrarium idea....I've always thought that the 2 main factors in the terrarium is keeping it airtight, and having it retain humidity, which to me, means that It would have to have sides and most likely a terrarium lid, but I looked for terrariums in The Gallery portion of The Shroomery, and I probably saw less enclosed-type aquarium looking terrariums, & so I was surprised to see a majority of mushrooms fruiting, in open type containers. For example, I saw mushrooms in The Gallery growing out of little containers with no lid, some even coffee cups, and tupperware containers with the lid off, almost like little garden tray type things, & I did'nt notice any sort of top that was containing the mushrooms in a space, I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about.
How can these terrariums I'm seeing mushrooms fruit quite well in be doing so with no enclosure to be airtight much less retain humidity?
Is this some kind of advanced tek for growing mushrooms I have'nt read about or what am I not understanding here?

--------------------
"Did you see what GOD just did to us maaaaan?" -Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
"As your attorney, I advise you to get a very fast car, & you'll need the cocaine too." -
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
Re: Terrarium (terranium) Q [Re: Cinopsilo]
    #2061360 - 10/31/03 05:40 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

ummmmm...people just took the lids off for the photos ok.
keep a lid on them.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

OfflineCinopsilo
I'm back
Re: Terrarium (terranium) Q [Re: Hanky]
    #2061390 - 10/31/03 06:04 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

oh, lol!! I thought that might have been the case, I just thought it was weird that there is only a couple of pictures out of like 38 pages of pictures of mushrooms growing where people take the picture from the outside of the terrarium, to give dumbass people like me more insight, thanks though man, before the crowd joins and makes fun of the marijuana inebriated.

--------------------
"As your attorney, I advise you to get a very fast car, & you'll need the cocaine too." -

Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

Loc: texas
    #2061552 - 10/31/03 07:11 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

dude i've had excellent results when i first started out just using a few large styrofoam coolers as terrariums. just cut a window out of the lid and duct tape some plastic wrap over the hole and there you have it. plus it's insulated.

--------------------
let it be know, there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men.

OfflineCinopsilo
I'm back
Re: Terrarium (terranium) Q [Re: fungusflip]
    #2063909 - 11/01/03 10:15 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Yeh, never really thought about going that route, but it seems like It'd work. At first I thought it was a definite better have that fuckin' terrarium airtight buddy, but the more I'm told by more knowledgable people than me, I'm drawing from their conclusions that just a tiny bit , just a little itty bitty bit of air flow won't kill it, maybe you won't have to air it out at all or as much every day.

--------------------

OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
    #2064075 - 11/02/03 12:05 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

CInopsilo...just hoke a cool mist umidifier up and run the tube into the terrarium....turn it on like every 3 hours for 15mins at a time, and you will get good huimidity and total air exchange...no fanning!

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

Invisibled4a2n0k
The Dude
Male User Gallery

Re: Terrarium (terranium) Q [Re: GregHimself]
    #2064575 - 11/02/03 09:22 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

For my terrarium I have a box with plastic tarp taped to the sides :wink: and perlite in the bottom. About as cheap as u can get, built it for less than $5, but it works just as good as any! Having the terrarium air tight is not at all necessary. Just make sure you open it up and fan twice a day. Good luck! 

--------------------
Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix